Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 1:17:48 PM EDT
A friend of mine's GSM cell phone died and now all she has is her SIM card.

She has Cellular-One and will be changing to a new carrier in July when her contract is up.

If she buys an "unlocked" phone, can she use it with Cellular-One to hold her over?

This is the one she is looking at: www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=73

It is being sold as unlocked here: www.craytonelectronics.com/unlocked-cell-phones.html

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#1]
in short: yes she can. If she continues service with another GSM provider. Cingular, T-mobile, Centennial, etc she can keep using the new phone once she switches after her contract is up.

I'd advise that she consider another phone. That is a single band phone, and coverage will BLOW. At least go for dual band, 850/1900mhz. That one is 1900 only.

Edit for clarification
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The simple answer is yes, as long the new phone will accept the sim card (it has a SIM card slot) and the phone uses the same frequency as the carrier. I have used an unlocked cell phone for the last 3 years. In some cases the phones software is not compatable with the network and all the neato features might not work but she should still be able to make and receive calls. You don't have to buy an 'unlocked phone' you can usually find a used GSM phone from a friend and just google the model of the phone for the unlock codes. Nokia phones are the easiest and very plentiful as I recall.  

editied- I think I have a couple nokias lying around. Im me if you want one. I can unlock it for you.

Jason
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

editied- I think I have a couple nokias lying around. Im me if you want one. I can unlock it for you.

Jason

Thanks for the offer, but I believe she already ordered it and I was just verifying things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top