Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 6:38:32 AM EDT
I e-filed with Turbotax online on Feb 03.  They accepted my return, and stated to expect it in my direct deposit accoount by 2/17.

Well, here it is 2/27, and nothing.  Never had it take this long.

Should I be concerned?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You can check the irs's webpage and click on the "Where's My Refund" link and see if they have any additional information. Or you could call them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:50:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You can check the irs's webpage and click on the "Where's My Refund" link and see if they have any additional information. Or you could call them.

Thanks.... I just did that.

It says my return is "delayed" and I should call them.

Turbotax sucks.... I bet this is all their fault.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.... I just did that.

It says my return is "delayed" and I should call them.

Turbotax sucks.... I bet this is all their fault.

Dude...it's a trap!
Kidding....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Yer being audited.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yer being audited.

Yep   +1
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yer being audited.

Yep   +1

+1, off to federal pound-me-in-the-*** prison you go.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup - exact same thing happened to me.     But it wasn't a full audit or anything.

I called them and was told that they needed "more information" and that I would receive a letter.  When I got it, it was a form for the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT), which is the work of the devil, and which I now qualify for.     They also told me that even after I provided the new info (and the HUGE reduction to my refund), it would take an extra 6 to 8 weeks to process.

Hopefully it's just some trivial clerical error for you they need to clear up - but if it's the AMT, then go find your KY Jelly and prepare to bend over.  

(ETA:  Actually, come to think of it - TurboTax should have caught the AMT, so hopefully it's just some silly error.  So maybe you ARE being audited!)
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I would be marginally worried.  Scale of 1-10.  Maybe a 4.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:58:00 AM EDT
[#10]
With .gov being multiple trillion in debt, maybe your bank returned the funds as nsf?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Just remember that Turbotax is suppost to be guaranteed 100% accurate, so if you take a hit you may get to pass the buck on to them, better check the guarantee.

Best of Luck,
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Ouch.  I hope you aren't being audited.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yup - exact same thing happened to me.     But it wasn't a full audit or anything.

I called them and was told that they needed "more information" and that I would receive a letter.  When I got it, it was a form for the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT), which is the work of the devil, and which I now qualify for.     They also told me that even after I provided the new info (and the HUGE reduction to my refund), it would take an extra 6 to 8 weeks to process.

Hopefully it's just some trivial clerical error for you they need to clear up - but if it's the AMT, then go find your KY Jelly and prepare to bend over.  

(ETA:  Actually, come to think of it - TurboTax should have caught the AMT, so hopefully it's just some silly error.  So maybe you ARE being audited!)

Just found some reading on that AMT.
WTF!!!?????
The IRS just blows.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
With .gov being multiple trillion in debt, maybe your bank returned the funds as nsf?

Yup, when the .gov starts writing bad checks, TEOTWAWKI can't be far behind.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:02:08 AM EDT
[#15]
i wouldn't assume an audit.

I got a $15k refund quickly last year, and then got audited in July
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Ugh.  Ok, looks like I did something stupid 4 years ago, and they are nailing me for it now.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF!!!?????
The IRS just blows.

The AMT is pure evil - and it doesn't work AT ALL the way it was originally intended.    

It's supposed to "nail" high-income people who try to avoid paying taxes by having all kinds of clever deductions that hide their income.  The only deductions I have are the mortgage on my house and the state income tax I pay - but they've changed the AMT so much now, that lots of people are having to pay an assload of extra federal tax if they've got significant state income taxes.  So I get to pay extra federal tax because I paid a lot of state tax.    My wife makes more than me, has no state income tax, and pays no AMT.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ugh.  Ok, looks like I did something stupid 4 years ago, and they are nailing me for it now.  

That sucks.  

Here's hoping the bill won't be too big.  Fingers crossed for you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, I guess I can talk about it.... I know you guys will think I am an idiot.

I always do my own taxes.  Typically, I was using Taxcut, ot Taxact, whoever would let me do it and e-file for free.

2001 was the first year I ever sold stock in my ESPP.  My ESPP buys stock 4-8 times a year, and then I get it at a 15% discount.  Well, when you sell it... it is very complicated.  You have to list each transaction with the price you paid, fair market value, and a bunch of other stuff.  All the doco I got on the sale was very confusing, and none of the verbage matched up with the tax software.  It drove me nuts.... I should have just bitten the bullet and taken it all to a tax pro.... but I kept working it out... and it was damned near even, right at a $250 refund.  My logic was... it was gonna cost me $200-$250 to take it somewhere....  so screw it, I just wont get the refund, and didnt file.  In my mind - I would rather not turn in paperwork I didnt think was right... so better to not turn it in at all.  

I know.... stupid.

Well, the IRS will deliver refunds for up to three tax years.  Since this one JUST expired... NOW they put a hold on any further refunds.... Nice that they wait to say anything until AFTER they have no responsibility to pay.

So I wonder... I know if it comes out that I owe... I will have to pay, plus penalties.... but if I am owed a refund... is it just a bust, make them happy, and I am done?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The AMT is pure evil - and it doesn't work AT ALL the way it was originally intended.    

Yep, got nailed last year
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#21]
When you go to da Big house, I call dibs on your FAL AR and AK.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't blame the IRS (even though they are all assholes), blame Congress. They are the ones that enacted this POS.  And they have known it is a problem for several years now and "talked" about fixing it this past year but obviously had so much more important bullshit to do.

My partners are amazed that I don't fall under it but I don't. Don't have that many deductions so I dodge it every year.

You are all correct, though. It is the "work of the devil". LOL.
Just the opposite end of the spectrum from the Earned Income Credit.
Class Warfare BS is all it is.

Flat Tax, or something close to that. I am even in favor of something moderately progressive provided: EVERYBODY pays
And I think all the deduction crap is BS also. If you buy an expensive, you bought it. If you have eight kids, that is your choice, etc. And yeah, I have an expensive home and kids.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Well, I guess I can talk about it.... I know you guys will think I am an idiot.

I always do my own taxes.  Typically, I was using Taxcut, ot Taxact, whoever would let me do it and e-file for free.

2001 was the first year I ever sold stock in my ESPP.  My ESPP buys stock 4-8 times a year, and then I get it at a 15% discount.  Well, when you sell it... it is very complicated.  You have to list each transaction with the price you paid, fair market value, and a bunch of other stuff.  All the doco I got on the sale was very confusing, and none of the verbage matched up with the tax software.  It drove me nuts.... I should have just bitten the bullet and taken it all to a tax pro.... but I kept working it out... and it was damned near even, right at a $250 refund.  My logic was... it was gonna cost me $200-$250 to take it somewhere....  so screw it, I just wont get the refund, and didnt file.  In my mind - I would rather not turn in paperwork I didnt think was right... so better to not turn it in at all.  

I know.... stupid.

Well, the IRS will deliver refunds for up to three tax years.  Since this one JUST expired... NOW they put a hold on any further refunds.... Nice that they wait to say anything until AFTER they have no responsibility to pay.

So I wonder... I know if it comes out that I owe... I will have to pay, plus penalties.... but if I am owed a refund... is it just a bust, make them happy, and I am done?

Yeah, the capital gains/losses stuff is a royal PITA. I've got it down now though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF!!!?????
The IRS just blows.

It's supposed to "nail" high-income people who try to avoid paying taxes by having all kinds of clever deductions that hide their income.  The only deductions I have are the mortgage on my house and the state income tax I pay - but they've changed the AMT so much now, that lots of people are having to pay an assload of extra federal tax if they've got significant state income taxes.  So I get to pay extra federal tax because I paid a lot of state tax.    My wife makes more than me, has no state income tax, and pays no AMT.  

What kind of tax rate do you end up paying when you get hit with the AMT?

I just did my taxes this weekend. I'm surprised I didn't have a stroke with how pissed doing that makes me. Nothing you can do but bend over and take it in the ass though.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Flat Tax, or something close to that. I am even in favor of something moderately progressive provided: EVERYBODY pays
And I think all the deduction crap is BS also. If you buy an expensive, you bought it. If you have eight kids, that is your choice, etc. And yeah, I have an expensive home and kids.

We agree again...something's f*cked up....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:53:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It 's not really you. I already said so.
Demonic possession
Alien invasion
Someone has murdered you and liked finding ARFCOM on your computer
You got hit in the head
Stroke

Something....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#28]
If it doesnt show up, just go to whitehouse.gov and leave a negative feedback....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It 's not really you. I already said so.
Demonic possession
Alien invasion
Someone has murdered you and liked finding ARFCOM on your computer
You got hit in the head
Stroke

Something....

You're
coming around is all...But for the love of GOD and all that's holy, keep your voodoo shit to yourself.

I just washed my floors and if you get chicken blood on 'em I can assure you without hesitation that your death will be iminent AND painful.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If it doesnt show up, just go to whitehouse.gov and leave a negative feedback....

<choking on Pizza>

OMG!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#31]
That's why I always try to owe a little each year, dont have to mess with lost refunds.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#32]
It could be the EITC.  That's where you get back a refund from the federal government that's larger than what you paid in federal taxes.  If you qualify for it, but don't put it on the return, then the IRS will do what you're seeing.  I had a couple of employees last year that qualified for it, but TurboTax didn't pick it up so they ended-up with a long delay before getting their refund check.  Not everything the IRS does is bad.  Since EITC was added, their refund check was about (IIRC) four times larger.z
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#33]
You've beeen randomly recycled(pulled and manually checked for inconsistantcies), just be patient it'll be there in a cuopla days...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
It could be the EITC.  That's where you get back a refund from the federal government that's larger than what you paid in federal taxes.  If you qualify for it, but don't put it on the return, then the IRS will do what you're seeing.  I had a couple of employees last year that qualified for it, but TurboTax didn't pick it up so they ended-up with a long delay before getting their refund check.  Not everything the IRS does is bad.  Since EITC was added, their refund check was about (IIRC) four times larger.z

Believe me, he'd know if he was getting welfare, which is what the EITC is.  Wealth redistribution.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You should have used TurboTax  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

If you are subject to AMT tax you are making too much money. So shut up about it already.

Communist !!  

It used to be that way, but now the AMT is inching its way further and further into the middle class.

Like I said - my wife makes MORE than me, and pays no state income tax, yet doesn't have to pay AMT.  It's completely screwed up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I just spit water all over my monitor!  My secretary must think I am nuts!  She gave me this look!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top