Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2006 6:59:04 AM EDT
Rifle cartridge:  the .30-06.  There is nothing that it cannot do.  The .308 is a close second, but its inability to chamber heavier bullets (ie 220gr) makes it less versatile, and therefore of lesser value.  If you had to shoot a lion or bear, you would certainly want the '06 instead of a .308.  And while there are various shoulder-busting magnums which are better rounds for elephants, cape buffalo, Humvees, etc, I like to keep my dental work intact, so I try to avoid aggravating anything that I cannot readily dispatch with a .30-06.  Luckily, that leaves my options pretty well open.  

PS - The vaunted 5.56 sucks.  It's good for prairie dogs.  And while the AR-15 is one of the greatest rifle designs ever, it would be even better if it were chambered in a combat cartridge, instead of a varmint cartidge.  I personally nominate the 6.8 SPC as a better anti-personnel round.  

Handgun cartidge:  the .45 ACP.  People who shoot people all agree that it is better to shoot a person with a big heavy bullet, whenever possible.  I have never shot anyone with a pistol, but if I ever do, I hope that I can shoot them with the all-American .45 ACP, preferably out of my 1911.

PS - 9mm is for pussies and women.  My wife shoots a 9mm.  If you shoot 9mm, you are either gay or a momma's boy with undersized genitalia.

Shotgun cartridge:  the twelve gauge.  Is there anything it can't do?  Sometimes when I rack the pump on my twelve gauge, ducks fall dead in my front yard, deer run up to me waiting to be shot, and burglars and home invaders across America spontaneously burst into flame.  

PS - the .410 is the second-best shotgun cartridge, but only because of the Thunder-Five pistol.

Why should you listen to my opinion?  Well, really you shouldn't.  It is no more or less authoritative that some of the other sophomoric foolishness you have read elsewhere on this website today.  But I did once see Chuck Norris at an airport, and he psychically communicated these opinions to me.  And the opinion of Chuck Norris is as gospel to us lesser mortals.  

What is Helen Keller's favorite color?  Chuck Norris.

(Okay, I'm a bit bored this morning.  I am going shooting later today; hopefully I will return to normalcy!)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, the greatest autopistol cartridge designed was the 10mm.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+ 10
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Rifle cartridge:  the .30-06.  There is nothing that it cannot do.  The .308 is a close second, but its inability to chamber heavier bullets (ie 220gr) makes it less versatile, and therefore of lesser value.  If you had to shoot a lion or bear, you would certainly want the '06 instead of a .308.  And while there are various shoulder-busting magnums which are better rounds for elephants, cape buffalo, Humvees, etc, I like to keep my dental work intact, so I try to avoid aggravating anything that I cannot readily dispatch witha .30-06.  Luckily, that leaves my options pretty well open.  

PS - The vaunted 5.56 sucks.  It's good for prairie dogs.  And while the AR-15 is one of the greatest rifle designs ever, it would be even better if it were chambered in a combat cartridge, instead of a varmint cartidge.  I personally nominate the 6.8 SPC as a better anti-personnel round.  

Handgun cartidge:  the .45 ACP.  People who shoot people all agree that it is better to shoot a person with a big heavy bullet, whenever possible.  I have never shot anyone with a pistol, but if I ever do, I hope that I can shoot them with the all-American .45 ACP, preferably out of my 1911.

PS - 9mm is for pussies and women.  My wife shoots a 9mm.  If you shoot 9mm, you are either gay or a momma's boy with undersized genitalia.

Shotgun cartridge:  the twelve gauge.  Is there anything it can't do?  Sometimes when I rack the pump on my twelve gauge, ducks fall dead in my front yard, deer run up to me waiting to be shot, and burglars and home invaders across America spontaneously burst into flame.  

PS - the .410 is the second-best shotgun cartridge, but only because of the Thunder-Five pistol.

Why should you listen to my opinion?  Well, really you shouldn't.  It is no more or less authoritative that some of the other sophomoric foolishness you have read elsewhere on this website today.  But I did once see Chuck Norris at an airport, and he psychically communicated these opinions to me.  And the opinion of Chuck Norris is as gospel to us lesser mortals.  

(Okay, I'm a bit bored this morning.  I am going shooting later today; hopefully I will return to normalcy!)

Thank You Mr. Know It All!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ 10

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Your logic sucks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:36:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ 10

+1

I beleive I said in the title that no dissension would be tolerated.  I am currently feeling intolerant.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#7]
" AND  NOW  HERE'S  SOMETHING  WE  HOPE  YOU'LL  REALLY  LIKE "

Rocky the Flying Squirrel
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure that I agree with your logic, but it was entertaining. 3 1/2 stars.

This line, however, was a gem:

I try to avoid aggravating anything that I cannot readily dispatch witha .30-06.

Words to live by.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Your logic sucks.

You are mistaken.  It is not my logic that sucks, but my irrational and emotional adherence to an opinion which is quite simply, just that:  an opinion.  Does it matter if people don't agree with me?  No.  But I will say that you smell like rotten cheese, and your genetic potential is substandard and you are unworthy to propogate if you disagree with my opinion!

I am on the Internet!  I therefore know all and see all!  Bow down to my (barely adequate) superior knowledge!  I have an opinion and if you differ from me then you are wrong and therefore evil!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Handgun cartidge:  the .45 ACP.  People who SHOOT PEOPLE  INSTRUCT PEOPLE say it is better to shoot a person with a BIG HEAVY BULLET CALIBER YOU ARE MOST COMFORTABLE AND ACCURATE WITH, whenever possible.  I have never shot anyone with a pistol, but if I ever do, I hope that I DON'T SHIT MYSELF BEFORE I CAN shoot them with the all-American .45 ACP, preferably out of my 1911.

(Okay, I'm a bit bored this morning.  I am going shooting later today; (hopefully I will return to normalcy!) SHOOT MYSELF WITH A BIG HEAVY CALIBER AND NOT ONE OF THOSE PUSSY 9MM ROUNDS.

Saw a few mistakes and thought I'd help you out and fix it for you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#11]
All those people killed with a 9mm might beg to disagree

quote:
PS - 9mm is for pussies and women. My wife shoots a 9mm. If you shoot 9mm, you are either gay or a momma's boy with undersized genitalia.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#12]

A .308 can do almost anything a 30-06 can do, with a bit less weight, I think it is the better round as compared to the '06.  Powder has improved since 1906. Less smokeless powder does more, therefore, less case volume is needed to  do the same thing.

Anyhow, either one is a excellent choice for a hunting rifle or a manstopper.

I will say that IMR4895 is the greatest powder known to man.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Handgun cartidge:  the .45 ACP.  People who SHOOT PEOPLE  INSTRUCT PEOPLE say it is better to shoot a person with a BIG HEAVY BULLET CALIBER YOU ARE MOST COMFORTABLE AND ACCURATE WITH, whenever possible.  I have never shot anyone with a pistol, but if I ever do, I hope that I DON'T SHIT MYSELF BEFORE I CAN shoot them with the all-American .45 ACP, preferably out of my 1911.

(Okay, I'm a bit bored this morning.  I am going shooting later today; (hopefully I will return to normalcy!) SHOOT MYSELF WITH A BIG HEAVY CALIBER AND NOT ONE OF THOSE PUSSY 9MM ROUNDS.

Saw a few mistakes and thought I'd help you out and fix it for you.

Thank you for correcting me; sometimes I forget what the hell I'm saying.

Actually, you know what is ironic?  I am not shooting anything but nine millimeter today.  It's all nines, all day.  Oh, wait, I am bringing my new Smith 22-4 in 45 ACP.   I guess it's not a 1911, but it might prevent lace from spontaneously appearing on my underwear.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#14]
The 7.62x54, .303, and 30-06 all pretty much do the same job.  To that degree they are over-achievers and prompted the birth of the assault rifle "short" cartridge.

The .308 seems to be a Cold War standidization child more than anything else.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#15]
7.62x54, 30.06,45-70,.45ACP,.50bmg  all classics.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#16]

I try to avoid aggravating anything that I cannot readily dispatch with a .30-06.

That is some possible sig line material there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Rifle cartridge:  the .30-06.  There is nothing that it cannot do.  The .308 is a close second, but its inability to chamber heavier bullets (ie 220gr) makes it less versatile, and therefore of lesser value.  If you had to shoot a lion or bear, you would certainly want the '06 instead of a .308.  And while there are various shoulder-busting magnums which are better rounds for elephants, cape buffalo, Humvees, etc, I like to keep my dental work intact, so I try to avoid aggravating anything that I cannot readily dispatch with a .30-06.  Luckily, that leaves my options pretty well open.  

Handgun cartidge:  .44 mag.  People who shoot people all agree that it is better to shoot a person with a big heavy bullet, whenever possible.  

fixed it for you..
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handgun cartidge:  .44 mag.  People who shoot people all agree that it is better to shoot a person with a big heavy bullet, whenever possible.  

fixed it for you..

Actually, I would agree with you, except that the .44 mag is not easily adaptable to an auto-loading design.  I see the pistol as fundamentally suited to self-defense first and foremost, and the autoloader as being a better self-defense tool, it generally being easier to make hits quickly with an autoloader under stress.  However, I am also a big fan of the .44 mag.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#19]
.22.177 does it all
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Iif  we are  goinng to talk about greatest rounds, i donn't  even think shotgun should be  bought  up.  it serves little purpose.

ETA:  get over it .308 lovers.  the .308 is NOT the best rifle round
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Beleg Strongbow, you are perverse

-Turin
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Iif  we are  goinng to talk about greatest rounds, i donn't  even think shotgun should be  bought  up.  it serves little purpose.

OK,we go bitd shooting.  You use a rifle, i use a shotgun.  While we are eating what we harvested you can explain to me why shotguns have no use/
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

ETA:  get over it .308 lovers.  the .308 is NOT the best rifle round

Hard to say which caliber is THE PERFECT ROUND. Each one serves a specific purpose.  Some were found not to be very good and soething else came along and replaced it - whether that be in battle or wherever.

For me, I enjoy a variety of rifle rounds for different purposes.

My AK-47
My SOCOM
My COLT AR-15 9mm

These three are all good calibers. Each one however, serves a specific purpose/need

I would definitely say the 30/06 is THE perfect hunting round.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Many years ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,somebody should have bought your Dad some rubbers.   Then these opinions could have been preserved in a rubbery time capsule forever.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Your logic sucks.

What logic? I didn't see any logic.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Preach it!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Rifle cartridge:  the .30-06.  There is nothing that it cannot do.  The .308 is a close second, but its inability to chamber heavier bullets (ie 220gr) makes it less versatile, and therefore of lesser value.  If you had to shoot a lion or bear, you would certainly want the '06 instead of a .308.  And while there are various shoulder-busting magnums which are better rounds for elephants, cape buffalo, Humvees, etc, I like to keep my dental work intact, so I try to avoid aggravating anything that I cannot readily dispatch with a .30-06.  Luckily, that leaves my options pretty well open.  Can't disagree with this although I have come to appreciate the .308 in the last few years.........My AR10.

PS - The vaunted 5.56 sucks.  It's good for prairie dogs.  And while the AR-15 is one of the greatest rifle designs ever, it would be even better if it were chambered in a combat cartridge, instead of a varmint cartidge.  I personally nominate the 6.8 SPC as a better anti-personnel round.   Blah blah blah blah...........same old shit from people who don't know as much as they think they do.  Tell all the dead VC and jihadists that the 5.56 sucks.  It probably did from their perspective.

Handgun cartidge:  the .45 ACP.  People who shoot people all agree that it is better to shoot a person with a big heavy bullet, whenever possible.  I have never shot anyone with a pistol, but if I ever do, I hope that I can shoot them with the all-American .45 ACP, preferably out of my 1911.  Again, cannot disagree with this part.

PS - 9mm is for pussies and women.  My wife shoots a 9mm.  If you shoot 9mm, you are either gay or a momma's boy with undersized genitalia.  Another stupid comment from a know nothing.  Tell a SEAL or any other member of the US military that they have undersized genitalia.

Shotgun cartridge
:  the twelve gauge.  Is there anything it can't do?  Sometimes when I rack the pump on my twelve gauge, ducks fall dead in my front yard, deer run up to me waiting to be shot, and burglars and home invaders across America spontaneously burst into flame.  

Why should you listen to my opinion?  Well, really you shouldn't.  It is no more or less authoritative that some of the other sophomoric foolishness you have read elsewhere on this website today.  But I did once see Chuck Norris at an airport, and he psychically communicated these opinions to me.  And the opinion of Chuck Norris is as gospel to us lesser mortals. Chuck Norris would not waste his time on someone like you, except to maybe plant a roundhouse kick upside your head.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ 10

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
A .308 can do almost anything a 30-06 can do, with a bit less weight, I think it is the better round as compared to the '06.  Powder has improved since 1906. Less smokeless powder does more, therefore, less case volume is needed to  do the same thing.

You don't think they use modern powder in current '06 rounds?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I saw no mention of the oldest cartridge still in production so your entire opinion is worthless to me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#31]

dissension will not be tolerated!

I like your attitude!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Your logic sucks.

Actually, his post is void of any logic...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

(Okay, I'm a bit bored this morning.  I am going shooting later today; hopefully I will return to normalcy!) [/satire]

Fixed for IDIOTS with no perception
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ 10

+501

Greatest rifle cartridge = .375 H&H.  Nothing in the world you cant kill better, faster, and deader with the .375 compared to the wimpy widdle bitty .30-06.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK,we go bitd shooting.  You use a rifle, i use a shotgun.  While we are eating what we harvested you can explain to me why shotguns have no use/

So your going to say that one of the four best ruonds ever devoloped is a shotgun round cause you cacn shoot birds with it.

That doesn't make shit for sense.  If I needed a all around gun I sure wouldn't grab a shotgun so I could eat duck.  i just assume kill a real meal.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ 10

+501

Greatest rifle cartridge = .375 H&H.  Nothing in the world you cant kill better, faster, and deader with the .375 compared to the wimpy widdle bitty .30-06.

-infinity at least on the 10mm part.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So your going to say that one of the four best ruonds ever devoloped is a shotgun round cause you cacn shoot birds with it.

That doesn't make shit for sense.  If I needed a all around gun I sure wouldn't grab a shotgun so I could eat duck.  i just assume kill a real meal.

Ever heard of slugs? Jeez, a 12 gauge shotgun is a very useful weapon for hunting or just plain fun. It may well be a better survival weapon than a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That doesn't make shit for sense.  If I needed a all around gun I sure wouldn't grab a shotgun so I could eat duck.  i just assume As SOON kill a real meal.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That doesn't make shit for sense.  If I needed a all around gun I sure wouldn't grab a shotgun so I could eat duck.  i just assume As SOON kill a real meal.

Apparently he has never eaten a real meal either.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't buy it.

Best rifle cartridge ever?  .22LR

Best pistol cartridge ever?  .22LR
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#41]
If I was so embarrased at my grammer I would post anything.  i know I can't spell, hell I can barely read.

I really didn't know that it was "as soon" and not "assume" though.  "as soon" doesn't seem to make any more sense to me.

ETA: I will stand my ground however that duck is not a real meal.  Not too tasty and not that much to one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I don't buy it.

some turd named Imgroglio over at a zombie forum says the .22 and the .38  are the two best rounds ever.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't buy it.

some turd named Imgroglio over at a zombie forum says the .22 and the .38  are the two best rounds ever.

So, this is your new troll account huh?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever heard of slugs? Jeez, a 12 gauge shotgun is a very useful weapon for hunting or just plain fun. It may well be a better survival weapon than a rifle.

Yes, I have heard of slugs, but what if, just what if, you had to shoot something past a 150 yards?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Hey, I was just passing on some funny shit from a guy in another forum. No way am I him.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

In that case, isn't it time someone design a more efficient pistol cartridge as both the .45 ACP and 9mm Parabellum are nearly a century old, no?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I will say that IMR4895 Varget is the greatest powder known to man.

fixed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't buy it.

Well, then he's only half right.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#49]
30 Caliber Hunting Cartridge: 300 H&H Magnum
7mm Caliber Hunting Cartridge 7mm Remington Magnum
25 Caliber Hunting Cartridge: 257 Weatherby Magnum
22 Caliber Hunting Cartridge: 220 Swift
Military Cartridge: 30-06 or 7x57 mm or 6.5x55mm

Semi Automatic Handgun Cartridge; 45 Super
Revolver Cartridge: 45 Colt

Why I chose the 300 H&H Magnum (ballistically the 300 H&H, 300 Winchester Magnum and the .308 Norma Magnum are more or less equivalent). I like the 300 H&H because of its history, although all three of these cartridges will easily do everything and more than either the .308 or the 30-06

Why I chose the 257 Weatherby: To be honest I was very tempted to choose the 257 Roberts (40 degree) Ackerly Improved. But while the 257 Roberts and the 25-06 are both great 25 cartridges, they do not compare to the 257 Weatherby in terms of flatshooting and hitting something at long ranges.

The .220 Swift, because  it is a classic and legendary cartridge, that is just a "little bit" faster than the 22-250.

The Military Cartridges were chosen because of their ballistic properties.

Reasons for the 45 Super, Ballistically the 45 Super is superior to the 45 ACP, and yet has the same dimensions, so it can be used in modified 1911 handguns. John Browning designed the 45 ACP (using Smokeless powder) to be ballistically equivalent to the 45 Colt which had a long history as a proven manstopper. The US Army switched back to the 45 caliber after the dismal performance of 38 S&W during the Moro uprising in the Phillipines Insurrection.
The 1911 and the 12 Gauge Shotgun became the weapons most feared by Germans during Trench fighting during WWI. The 45 ACP had a history of quickly dropping an opponent.

Forgetting History; in 1985 the US Army (and DoD) adopted the 9mm (a .355" diameter round which is the real diameter of the "38 special", 38 S&W being a true .38"). Once again after 20 years in the field, there is a very strong push to replace the 9mm with a 45 caliber for its handguns.

Reasons for the 45 Colt: Ballistically the 45 Colt Factory Loads are equivalent to the 45 ACP. But because this cartridge was originally designed for Blackpowder, it had a much larger case. Over time the Cartridge Case changed from having a very short rim to a broader rim, and the brass walls went from a thin Balloon type to having thicker walls.
Because of its large case, a reloader can load the 45 Colt up to and exceeding the 44 Magnum. If loaded to the 44 Magnum level, the larger cartridge case amounts to a lower pressures.
So while the Factory Loads for this round are kept low due to all of the old Colt Peacemakers, in a modern Ruger Revolver, this cartridge can be loaded to outperform the 44 Magnum.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#50]
You are all wrong, unless you agreed with me.  I told you that no dissent would be tolerated.  My ninjas will be coming for your firstborn children.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top