Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 9:20:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Usually you cant finger a trigger in a case.  And the weapon is protected from hitting the ground etc.

Second, most people will unload a weapon before putting it a case.

But more weird stuff has happened, like that trooper who was killed by a gunshot from a car in an accident.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#2]
people more than likely associate the safety practices with the object itself.  Once the rifle goes into the case it is no longer a rifle, just a case.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#3]
NOt saying it hasn't happened, But the chances of a cased weapon going off are virtually zero.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Because any chance of a negligent discharge is greatly reduced at that point. It doesn't bother me if people point their cased rifles at me, I do it myself (except for when taking them out of/putting them back into the case). There are times where it really isn't even possible to not point a cased long gun at someone, most notably when you have to jam the case into your trunk. They're also designed to be carried in such a way, with the handle on top and everything, and it stands to reason that everyone is going to be using them how they were designed to be used.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
... It is now okay to point that case at the guy on the next bench....

Not at our range.  Even cased rifles must be muzzle toward backstop.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I try to be mindful of this with my cased weapons, but NOT to the same degree when the bare weapon is in my hands.

Have you ever tried to take a rifle off a busy range, and get it into a case?  If you are diligent about muzzle sweeps, it looks like some kind of twirling act!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that must make it a PITA to turn around and leave when you are done. LOL
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
NOt saying it hasn't happened, But the chances of a cased weapon going off are virtually zero.

The chances of ANY kind of AD are virtually zero, so why is a AD when a rifle is in the case any less likely than an AD when the rifle is not in the case?

According to the rules of firearm handling, an AD should never be possible because the rifle is ALWAYS unloaded unless ready to fire, and when it is ready to fire it is pointed in a safe direction, as it should be at all times anyway.

I think it's more a problem with "out of sight, out of mind"  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I could shoot a gun from my Secret Sam case.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I try to be mindful of this with my cased weapons, but NOT to the same degree when the bare weapon is in my hands.

Have you ever tried to take a rifle off a busy range, and get it into a case?  If you are diligent about muzzle sweeps, it looks like some kind of twirling act!

Muzzle straight down works, and you don't end up looking like a drum major.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that must make it a PITA to turn around and leave when you are done. LOL

Not at all.  you just rotate the case skyward or keep it point toward the backstop as you walk directly to the rear off the line.  We have some strict rules when you are on the firing line.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#13]
What the hell kind of question is this. Safety is safety but I think being concerned about the direction your gun case is pointing is just slightly nurotic. In fact you should be more worried about the guns in your safe you never know what evil things they maybe plotting while they are locked away.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Happened just the other day here:

www.kcci.com/newsarchive/7371025/detail.html

DES MOINES, Iowa -- A western Iowa teen died Thursday after being shot in the back of the head.

Alex Parker, 17, his brother, and two friends had just returned from target practice near Anthon.

Authorities said Parker's friend was removing the gun from the car when it accidentally went off, hitting Parker in the head.

Investigators determined the gun was still in the case when it discharged.

The teens are all students at Maple Valley Anthon Oto High School.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#15]
It's really no different than pointing an unloaded weapon at someone. It's just as safe...although pointing an unloaded weapon at someone is generally accepted as something you don't do because even if you know for certain that the weapon is completely and totally empty and devoid of any ammunition. YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT IS CERTAIN OF THIS.

Therefore as a good safety measure, you never point an unloaded gun at someone. Remember, not everyone is as safe as you would like them to be...and accidents do happen.
No need to let all the idiots think that an unloaded weapon can't fire, because eventually, they will screw up - it will be loaded one time - and they will shoot someone.

I was raised to believe that there was not a problem with it because an unloaded weapon cannot fire. Yet to be on the safe side, you just don't do it as yet another backup safety measure. As safe certain as you may be, accidents can always happen. You just might screw up one day!!

When it's in the case...people just accept it at that point I guess
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#16]
soft cases im pretty mussle aware with. I feel that its not to difficult to carry these in a safe manner and I feel like there is still a slight chance of the trigger getting tripped.

Hard cases I have much less concern with because they are very hard to carry without pointing at someone and its pretty much impossible to pull the trigger though a hard case. Even with this I still dont intentionally muzzle sweep people.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Because 1/4 inch of nylon and padding will stop any bullet.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, I'm in trouble.

In one of my Starlight cases I have two bolt guns and the muzzles point in opposite directions from each other.  Although, the bolts are out of them to save storage space.

Not to mention that when I pull a wheeled hard case behind me, the muzzles generally point in my direction.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy Crap!

I gotta come up with some kind of Batmobile Turntable for my safe!  That thing has muzzles pointing every which way!!!   Oh Noes!!!!!

Besides, even a .22 is so powerful that if you have an A/ND into space, it will just orbit Pluto, come back and kill someone in 500 years.  And a 50 BMG would blast right through the earth and kill that  guy that much faster, still orbit pluto, and kill his greatx32grandson 500 years later.

Oh Noes!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The chances of ANY kind of AD are virtually zero, so why is a AD when a rifle is in the case any less likely than an AD when the rifle is not in the case?

According to the rules of firearm handling, an AD should never be possible because the rifle is ALWAYS unloaded unless ready to fire, and when it is ready to fire it is pointed in a safe direction, as it should be at all times anyway.

I think it's more a problem with "out of sight, out of mind"  

I don't believe in ADs. If the gun goes off, and you didn't want, nor expect it to then it is an ND. Unfortunately NDs happen all too often. When a rifle is in the case, generally speaking, it is going to be tough as hell to activate the trigger or by some other means make the firearm fire.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Most people don't give it much thought, unless it's pretty close. (For example, talking to someone while loading the cased rifle into your trunk and swinging it right past his face).

As a sidebar to this topic, I sweep family/friends/strangers every day with a loaded (condition 1) .45 that's riding in a Galco Miami Classic and think nothing of it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:04:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Half the people in this country aren't responsible with most aspects of their lives. They can't handle their finances, they rack up credit card debt, they cheat on their spouses, they steal from their employer, they abuse their children and/or spouse, they abuse drugs or alcohol, and lots of other things. Why would all these irresponsible people all of a sudden become responsible with guns? My point is you need to be very careful at the range, because there are alot of people out there that are not capable of being responsible with firearms.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:11:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm pointing my "cased rifle at you right now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top