Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 3:58:46 PM EDT
Scenario:

A rich genius has figured out how to travel to mars in roughly six months time and has buitl a fleet of ships.

He's terraformed the planet so it has a livable atmosphere. Things are rough over most of the planet, but there are pockets of near civilization where the work is (mining, farming, etc).  

Thing is, it's kind of like the wild west. No government run services. No police or fire department. Security is provided either by you with your own guns, or you can contract out with a private security firm. You get sick and you don't have money saved, you don't get paid. You have to count on the voluntary generosity of your neighbors or things like church groups if you can't fend for yourself. If not, you may just die.

Only thing like the law that exists is a basic code: Don't hurt anybody that hasn't tried to hurt you. If they try to hurt you, then you can do what's necessary (the rich genius is also a fan of Robert Heinlein).

So, do you give up everything and and take a chance on a 6 month journey to the new wild west???

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Reavers!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Reavers!

they're on the far endge of the galaxy, man!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Where's my ticket?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
do I have AC and BC powder, if I can have those two things, I'm in, oh and toilet paper
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Bring on the Martians, they can't be any weirder than Baltimore folk!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't they make a documentary about this very thing...?

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd be on the first goram ship out to that ruttin planet!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd be off this rock so fast it would make your head spin.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Its all fun and games till you find a crashlanded alien ship. Then you have to nuke the site from orbit, you know, to be sure.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#11]
SOunds great!, One problem:  At some point the Earth will decide that it wants to control all this newfound freedom.  We will have to fight back.  

I suggest throwing rocks...

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#12]
As long as they have good schools for the kids, I'm in there like swim wear baby. I'd run up deep like a gerbel baby.
When do we leave?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#13]
What the hell, should be fun.

We have to make sure ARFcom is the first to colonize though. Don't want any damn hippes going and making up their own gun laws and what not.

Also I would only consider going if I could have a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range and maybe an Uzi 9 millimeter

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As long as they have good schools for the kids, I'm in there like swim wear baby. I'd run up deep like a gerbel baby.
When do we leave?

no public schools. Either you educate them or pay for someone to educate them for you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#15]
i can't believe how stupid some of the post on this broad have gotten over the years
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#16]

SOunds great!, One problem: At some point the Earth will decide that it wants to control all this newfound freedom. We will have to fight back.

does anyone ever 'get' that Heinlein reference, or does everyone get it and I am being boorish for even mentioning it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Rock on man.  Do I get to farm the martian terrian too?  Ain't goin if I can't be the first one to sink a plow in the ground.

Too many variables to give a 100 percent honest answer.   But it would be the greatest thing ever...   Hell yes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i can't believe how stupid some of the post on this broad have gotten over the years

ideally we should be rehashing 9mm vs 45, ar vs ak, and zombies and marpat every other thread.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

SOunds great!, One problem: At some point the Earth will decide that it wants to control all this newfound freedom. We will have to fight back.

does anyone ever 'get' that Heinlein reference, or does everyone get it and I am being boorish for even mentioning it.

I dunno.  First thing that popped into my mind.  You got it.  Don't know who else did...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#20]
sign me up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#21]
When do we leave?

wganz

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I voted, No, I prefer the safety and security of where I'm at right now.  Due to needing my meds.  

But, I would do it if I didn't need my meds.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I voted yes.

It would be interesting to find out what happens.

Either I would become King, or those faqing politicians will already have mole....

Sly
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
When do we leave?

wganz

just invent a really fast spaceship and devise away to terraform mars and it's a go!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Hell yes!

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Hell yeah!

Mars

I'd prefer Bradbury's Mars, though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Mars would be a poor choice. Never going to be warm there.

Some other planet maybe.

Security is not a huge deal to me. Forests and water are.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Some other planet maybe.

Well, you've got your choice between planets that are even more frozen and planets that are too hot to survive on, at least within the Sol system.

Read the KSR books which Tromatic referenced just above your post.  The space mirror idea is workable;  in fact, Gregory Benford suggested something similar for Earth if it becomes necessary to reduce insolation to stop global warming.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:44:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some other planet maybe.

Well, you've got your choice between planets that are even more frozen and planets that are too hot to survive on, at least within the Sol system.

Read the KSR books which Tromatic referenced just above your post.  The space mirror idea is workable;  in fact, Gregory Benford suggested something similar for Earth if it becomes necessary to reduce insolation to stop global warming.

Actually the latest modeling I've seen on terraforming Mars suggests that a large mirror array wouldn't be nessecary to raise the mean planetary temprature above the freezing point of water since the global martian volities inventory is larger then previously though, specifically the latest MGS data show there is much more water ice in the the norther polar lense then previously thought. The only problem with terraforming is going to be getting nitrogen out of the regolith.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:51:01 AM EDT
[#30]
What about Gor? Gor be happenin...!

My wife loves it if I read one of my Gor collection and start in with the "ASSUME THE POSITION OF THE PLEASURE SLAVE...!"
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:52:08 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm there!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I got it, and it made me smile.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:11:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

My wife loves it if I read one of my Gor collection and start in with the "ASSUME THE POSITION OF THE PLEASURE SLAVE...!"

TMI
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:16:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some other planet maybe.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one on ARFCOM who read the KSR Mars trillogy, three of my all time favorite books, although I'm not a fan of his politics.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:19:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I can't even get myself motivated to move out of state, much less out of country- or offworld!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:37:58 AM EDT
[#37]

you couldn't get me there fast enough.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top