Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2006 3:37:49 PM EDT
I wanted to see how many people really have it. poll to follow!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have damn what are you talking about
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
my first IBTP?

wow , my first IBTP succesfully. somehow it just doesnt seem as cool as I thought it would I need a life.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
my first IBTP?

+2
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Do you know what Attention Deficit Disorder is?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]
what was the question again???
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Got it, medicated until I was 35 then learned to compensate.  Ritalin is good but Welbutren worked best for me.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I have ADHD and a little OCD.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
"I'm sorry, I can't help you."

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Your biggest problem is trying to argue with the loons on Military-Arms.com
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
what?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I do have a few friends there. But yes there are a bunch that are asshats.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#12]
My sister has ADHD and some other thing - I forget the name. Great girl but a total handful. My insane ex-girlfriend had a lesser form of ADHD or ADD and acute liberalitus.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
"I'm sorry, I can't help you."

HA,HA!

Thats fuckin' funny!!

Travis
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#14]
It is a disorder that is vastly overdiagnosed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It is a disorder that is vastly overdiagnosed.

+1  (SPANK YOUR CHILDREN)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Funny how a kid can have ADD but play the same video game for hours at a time.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Not all cases, but i think its a crock of shit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Better hope word of that doesn't make it to MA.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
OCD here.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know what Attention Deficit Disorder is?

bunghole says what?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#21]
My dad has it but he won't take anything for it due to side effects and general stubborness.  It was heaven when he was taking meds for it.  Makes life hell for us at home.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#22]
huh?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Just hairy, fuck balls, Turrets syndrome here w/ involuntary, circle anus jerk,  coprolalia.  "Just lick it or something" I always say.  You know that old tasty nipple-ass chestnut.

Sly
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not totaly convinced that there is such a disorder, but then again, I don't have it.  Sometimes I wonder if it's a condition that drug companies thought up to sell drugs.  That said, I don't have it, so I can't say for sure.  Never met anyone who had it either.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm not totaly convinced that there is such a disorder, but then again, I don't have it.  Sometimes I wonder if it's a condition that drug companies thought up to sell drugs.  That said, I don't have it, so I can't say for sure.  Never met anyone who had it either.

1.  Yes, it is real

-BUT-

2.  It is way overdiagnosed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#26]
while it does exist, it's way overdiagnosed due to parents seeking the easy way out and drug companies wanting to make $$$ selling amphetamines to kids as young as 4.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Actually a person that has it can be able to intensely focus on some subjects.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't buy into this leftist crap one bit.  There's no such thing as ADD/ADHD; it's just bad behavior that's condoned by poor parenting and doctor/enablers.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I don't buy into this leftist crap one bit.  There's no such thing as ADD/ADHD; it's just bad behavior that's condoned by poor parenting and doctor/enablers.

Thanks for your expert opinion.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#30]
All these labels that people put on kids are a crutch they use to allow the kids to behave however they want and to let the parents say oh I can't do any thing about it because he has this or that alphabet soup acronym problem. So it is a crutch for the kids and the parents both. Back in our day you had discipline and rules to follow and if not then there were serious consequences for your actions. I am not saying there aren't kids who are hyper as hell and can't focus and such but we never had drugs and special treatment to fix it we just got our butts beat and grounded from everything including Christmas!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#31]
ADD

infact im posting on ARF when I should be writing a paper
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#32]
What was the question?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#33]

ADHD-Combined with some OCD traits.

I was medicated for about a year, but lost my health insurance coverage after the divorce.

SBG
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#34]
There are physical tests for ADD.

There is no question that it is "real" but it's probably overdiagnosed
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got one of em, just can't remember which one.

Life is a bitch when you can't remember what you are supposed to be doing.  Ever.  

On the other hand I can visualize every part in a chevy small block engine and remember all sorts of stuff that does not relate to what I NEED to remember.  Example: why bugs can run up walls but we can't......surface to volume ratio.

With ADD your memory is highly selective and you don't control the selection....at all.

Yup, it's real alright.   I pray to God that those who babble that it is not real will get it really bad and that it will be permanent and irreversible.  That way they will become better, more tolerant people, after having to live with it's effects.   (This from me....the most intolerant person there is.)

Not so sure that ADD is really a disorder though.  It is more like:  wanting to know what is over the next hill and having to find out.  Mankind needs a certain number of people who think up the new ideas.   When you are supposed to be learning the economic products of bolivia you care about the .303 rifle.  When you are supposed to learn about the .303 you care about the economy of argentina.  

Visualise life without the products of ADD people...no electricity, no internal combustion engines, no airplanes, back to the stone ages.

On the air, land or sea....bless them all.....with a .303

First rank..........FIRE!

Second rank.......

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#36]
No, no ADD or ADHD but here's a list of my afflictions

Asperger's Syndrome
Pervasive Developmental Disorder ( PDD-NOS )
Chronic Depression
Hypomania
OCD
Asocial Behaviour with bouts of Dissocial Personality Disorder ( Antisocial )

There I think that covers it                  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Probably ADD, but undiagnosed, although I am able to focus when absolutely necessary. I also have mild OCD that mostly manifests in compulsive editing (of documents). I just made about 7 edits to this as I was typing, for example, and mainly just to make it sound better rather than to fix actual mistakes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I have it.  It can be a real problem, but I choose to go unmedicated 99% of the time.  I eat right and exercise and that really helps, along with taking breaks and knowing exactly when during the day I can focus.  I also get to my office at 5:30 am.  I get all of my daily tasks done before the destractions show up.  Most of the drugs I have tried tend to stifle my creativity and natural inquisitiveness that are important aspects to being a scientist.

Adderal is scary effective for helping you accomplish low level tasks for hours on end without fatigue, such as reading and paperwork, hence it's propensity for widespread abuse.  However, it ruins my ability to come up with creative solutions to complicated and analytical problems.

ADHD is very overdiagnosed, IMHO.  As a college professor, I shake my head as I rutinely see 15% of my class rolls marked with: ATTENTION: FERPA CONFIDENTIAL, CONDITION: ADHD.

Get soda machines out of middle schools, get the kids some healthy food and exercise, and hold more parents responsible for their kid's behavior, and 80% of ADHD cases would dissappear.

By the way, the biochemistry of ADHD is as very well understood, more so than many other diseases, illnesses, disorders, and conditions.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#39]
WHat was this thread about again????

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I supposedly have ADHD and Oppositional Defiant Disorder with "Mild Motor Tics".  I was diagnosed when I was 5.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know children are not the only people affected by ADD.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I was gonna write something but I forgot what this thread was about
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#43]
douple tap
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I'm sorry, did I knock somebody's crutch out from under them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#45]
yeah.. I have ad..

hey look, a kitten!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I have signs of OCD.  I also have minor case of a form of autism called Asperger's, and it's probably connected.  I don't think I have ADD though.

Oh, and what's ADHD?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#47]
This "disorder" may exist but is exacerbated by the overuse of DAYCARE!!!! And, divorced familys with children taken out of routine environments with constant shifting of "here and there". Everyone wants there child to fit into some kind of mold... Notice how this is diagnosed for little boys more so than girls? Boys are active and "they" (asshat fuckers) want to drug them down....I urge you to seriously consider the ramifications of my points and try not to pick bits and pieces to fit your arguments.

Argue if you must but don't ignore the statistics my friends. I'm here to help...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#48]
My two boys are two of the most well behaved kids you will ever meet.  We get compliments on them all the time.  There is no bad behaviour from either of them.  One however has ADD and the other does not.  We tried for years after the eldest was diagnosed with ADD to manage it through diet and other ways but the simple fact of the matter is that without his meds he will fail in school. so to all you uneducated idiots saying I'm a bad parent with a crutch GO FUCK YOURSELF!  Until you have a kid with it you don't have slightest fucking idea what you are talking about and are making a serious ass out yourself.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

BS. Also, you're from the PRC so you aren't allowed to have opinions anyway.

I was diagnosed with it when I was younger (oddly enough by my biologist mother. ADD was new back then, our doc rolled his eyes, . It takes a fair amount of self discipline to do things. IMO, the drugs (ritalin) are a cruch. You can focus if you try hard. I gave up on the stuff when I was 15 and they told me if I was on it I couldn't go to USNA. It was very hard, but such is life. I still have trouble focusing sometimes, but managed a 3.75 in grad school anyway.

It is heavily heavily misdiagnosed by lazy people though. My peers when I was little would get diagnosed for it for no reason that I could see. They were nothing like I was.

It can be very odd. I can read a book I like in an ungodly short amount of time. Tune everything out and go right to it. Other things it's almost painful to focus on, and I have to keep refocusing myself. But, you just have to deal with it.

Basically, if you're kid or you have it, I suggest medication, and a strict regime of discipline and the like. Use that to get them off medication. IMO the best thing for any ADD person would be to send them to the Marines.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I got ADHA

and to all of you who say its not real it definatly is.  i take medicin for it and can compleatly tell a difference....in fact my best friend can tell if i have taken my medicin for it or not.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top