Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 1:30:18 PM EDT
Alright, here's the story.Back in 2000 I bought this Mossberg shotgun for home defense. I had just moved to NC and I hadn't owned a gun in years (so in a way, it was my first gun...or at least the first one since I started collecting). It was a real nice Mossberg 590 12 gauge with the Marine Cote anti-corrosion finish.

Well, a few years later I had acquired a few more guns and had the makings of a decent collection. My dad kept saying at the time the he was going to get a shotgun once he got some more money and one day I decided to give him my Mossberg 590. A few weeks later we took it out and shot it and didn't enjoy it at all. The 2 3/4" slugs and 2 3/4" buck was still too much for him. So, the gun sat in his closet for the next 3 years.

The next year I got him to take his CHL course in MI and as a birthday gift I paid for his class and took it with him. I gave him a Glock 19 to use for the course and told him he could keep it as long as he wanted (as in here, it's yours). He eventually gave it back to me because he thought it was too big for him to conceal well. He ended up buying a Keltec P3AT that he carried with his CHL in MI.

Well, now that he's moved to Texas he wants to get his Texas CHL. I convinced him that he needed a better gun for this. So, he asked me if I had any guns I'd sell him. I told him that he could have my S&W 908S (a good little SS 9mm), but that he'd have to trade me the Mossberg shotgun for it. He enthusiastically agreed and so it was done.

I mentioned this to someone else and they thought it was kind of crappy of me to make my dad trade me for the pistol. He thought I should have either given my dad the gun or sold it to him and let him keep the Mossberg, but that I was "indian giving" on the shotgun. I don't see it that way. What do y'all think?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You gave him the Mossy in the first place.  He wasn't using it and you wanted it back.
Your dad still got a free gun out of the deal.

I don't see a problem at all.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
If HE asked you if you had any to sell him, and you then traded him for a shotgun that you know he didn't really like anyway, I'd say you did nothing wrong.  In fact, you were being nice (since he was the one that raised the idea of buying/selling not loaning or giving).

If me dad asked me for something, I'd give it to him - but if he asked me to sell him the same thing, I'd probably sell it to him.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
No net loss on your dad's part.  Nothing wrong with that deal at all.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You gave him the Mossy in the first place.  He wasn't using it and you wanted it back.

yea.  A gun he didn't use for a gun he will use?  What's wrong with that?  My dad and I trade guns back and forth.  No big deal.  They stay in the family, which to us means that they are both of ours.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think there's anything crappy about it.  You have been a good son to him, and it sounds like you have a close enough relationship that he would let you know if he didn't like the deal.

I am 27 years old, and my dad still insists to pay for dinner everytime we go out.  I have never bought him a firearm.  Your dad should be glad he's got such a great son.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
you need a poll.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]
It doesnt sound like your dad was too terribley broken up over giving up the shotgun. If he was "enthusiastic" about it, then wheres the problem?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#9]
You didn't do anything wrong, in fact you really helped your old man out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#10]
No worries.  You're golden on this one.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#11]
More than fair.

But you're still a dick.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If HE asked you if you had any to sell him, and you then traded him for a shotgun that you know he didn't really like anyway, I'd say you did nothing wrong.  In fact, you were being nice (since he was the one that raised the idea of buying/selling not loaning or giving)...

Agreed.

If I were in the same situation, I would just give my Dad a gun... but my Dad has been so ridiculously generous to me/us that I would feel like a heel doing otherwise.  (Don't take that the wrong way - I still say you didn't do anything wrong!)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

End of story.

HH
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
More than fair.

But you're still a dick.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top