Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 3:37:01 AM EDT
Do you guys remember the 1944 K31 that I bought and tracked down the soldier that owned the rifle? Here's the original post that I made on this a few months ago:

Link to original story

Karl is now 82 and very ill with cancer, and undergoing chemo. I recently recieved the below email from his neighbor.

PDF File With Pics From Karl--400kb

Hello XXXX

Slowly Karl is getting better even if he is still very weak. He gave me the attached pictures to send it to you and he is very sorry, that he is still not able to write to you. He promised that he will write down his story as soon as he is getting better.

I have a question to you, might it be possible that you could send me a picture of his rifle? He realised that he does not have a picture of it. On all the pictures of his military service the rifle is not shown. I guess it is because the rifle was always on the saddle of his horse.

I should tell you the best wishes from him.

Best Regards,
Susanne

Here's the rifle...

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:38:25 AM EDT
[#1]
very interesting.  wish him well for us.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:45:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
very interesting.  wish him well for us.

+ a million
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:49:00 AM EDT
[#3]
-Just a thought...

K31's are pretty common and inexpensive.. Maybe you could find a way to export his old rifle to him before his time is up?

Cool Story.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#4]
That is a really cool story, I hope you maintain all these documents with the rifle! Wish him well from all of us and get him that rifle pic ASAP!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:51:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That is a really cool story, I hope you maintain all these documents with the rifle! Wish him well from all of us and get him that rifle pic ASAP!

Already done. I took about 10 pictures of the rifle with many closeups and emailed them to him.

I will send your best wishes. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#6]
That is very cool except for the cancer part
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:09:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Were serial numbers branded into the horse's neck?
(second pic in the .pdf file)

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:51:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Were serial numbers branded into the horse's neck?
(second pic in the .pdf file)

Thats possilbe

I also have a K31 with a tag, unfortunatly, the owner died about 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the update, TactStrat. I enjoyed the original post very much. How cool you were able to find the old gentleman.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top