Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 9:55:40 PM EDT
it's about as bad as it gets...  

a thief has my social security card, drivers license, credit cards, military id(dependent), vehicle insurance card, tricare card, university id, etc., etc.

the obvious has already been done - i had my cards cancelled about 15 minutes after they'd been stolen and i filed a police report, but what worries me more is that the guys were pros.  they managed to unbutton my pocket and get my wallet without me noticing.  i have no doubt that they will do what they can to steal my identity.  this is some scary shit.

what else can i do?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#2]
How DO you replace a social security card?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How DO you replace a social security card?

it's my understanding that there's a social security office i can contact.  i will find out ommorow and report back.  i usually don't have it on me, but i needed it a while back and never took it back out of my wallet.

it will no doubt be sold to some illegal

oh, and post #1,000...  to bad i didn't have a more positive thread to use it on.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Wear a rubber...... And oh yeah, you're not supposed to carry your social security card with you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
It says "DO NOT STORE IN WALLET" on every Social Security card I have ever seen, including my grandparents'.  Why do people keep them in their wallets?  I have a friend who does too and it's just stupid, especially with identity theft so easy these days.

With the ammount of things today that require an SSN, why don't you have yours memorized?  Did you just get out of junior high?  I've had to have mine memorized since high school.

ETA:  Expect problems in the future.  Expect to be blamed for crimes you have no idea about because someone who is using your card did whatever he wanted.  You'll probably get visits from police/sherriffs every year, I've seen it happen.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It says "DO NOT STORE IN WALLET" on every Sociel Security card I have ever seen, including my grandparents'.  

It doesn't on mine
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
it's my understanding that there's a social security office i can contact.  i will find out ommorow and report back.  i usually don't have it on me, but i needed it a while back and never took it back out of my wallet.

it will no doubt be sold to some illegal

Good. He will be paying into your account and you will retire with more.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It says "DO NOT STORE IN WALLET" on every Sociel Security card I have ever seen, including my grandparents'.  Why do people keep them in their wallets?  I have a friend who does too and it's just stupid, especially with identity theft so easy these days.

With the ammount of things today that require an SSN, why don't you have yours memorized?  Did you just get out of junior high?  I've had to have mine memorized since high school.

ETA:  Expect problems in the future.  Expect to be blamed for crimes you have no idea about because someone who is using your card did whatever he wanted.  You'll probably get visits from police/sherriffs every year, I've seen it happen.

Unfortunately my SSN is on my ID card, so if I want to go on base my SSN is in my wallet with or without the Social Security card.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It says "DO NOT STORE IN WALLET" on every Sociel Security card I have ever seen, including my grandparents'.  Why do people keep them in their wallets?  I have a friend who does too and it's just stupid, especially with identity theft so easy these days.

Unfortunately my SSN is on my ID card, so if I want to go on base my SSN is in my wallet with or without the Social Security card.

Then you had better staple that sucker to your John Thomas.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then you had better staple that sucker to your John Thomas.

I don't like that plan.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#13]
ok, i was on the phone all morning.  i got a fraud alert on my credit report, passwords on accounts, a new drivers license...

and then got a phone call.  my wallet had been found.  whoever stole it just took the cash and gift cards out, and tossed the wallet.  they left my military id, drivers license, both credit cards, SS card, and everything else.

this is a whole lot of weight off my shoulders, but i'm not going to let this lure me into a false sense of security...  whoever took my wallet had access to all of my personal information.  i'm still going to be keeping an eye on my credit and my accounts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
ok, i was on the phone all morning.  i got a fraud alert on my credit report, passwords on accounts, a new drivers license...

and then got a phone call.  my wallet had been found.  whoever stole it just took the cash and gift cards out, and tossed the wallet.  they left my military id, drivers license, both credit cards, SS card, and everything else.

this is a whole lot of weight off my shoulders, but i'm not going to let this lure me into a false sense of security...  whoever took my wallet had access to all of my personal information.  i'm still going to be keeping an eye on my credit and my accounts.

YOU GOT LUCKY!  They may have made copies of all your cards though so dont let your guard down!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#15]
1. contact your bank and alert them if they got your bank acount info.

2. contact your credit cards and cancel them

3. contact the 3 credit reporting services and put an alert on your accounts.

4. contact SS office about getting a new SS#

The rest of the ID's are easy to replace.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
1. contact your bank and alert them if they got your bank acount info.

2. contact your credit cards and cancel them

3. contact the 3 credit reporting services and put an alert on your accounts.

4. contact SS office about getting a new SS#

The rest of the ID's are easy to replace.

#'s 1-3 are already done.

#4 is still up in the air...  i need to check with the local SS office and see if i can be issued a new number.  can they even do that?

all in all, i learned an important lesson...  only keep what you need in your wallet.  i got very lucky(hopefully).  don't make the same mistake i did!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top