Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2001 4:11:36 PM EDT
has anyone seen the S.O.G. flyer (sent to ffl's) that has AR-15 rifles made by C.I.A.? if so, does anyone here know anything about them? are they any good?
just wondering,
colt.

p.s. S.O.G. is "Southern Ohio Guns".
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
btt on this one. the price is $550. i'm needing some info.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe they use Hesse receivers, which is why A) they are so cheap and B) why you should stay away from them.

Rocko
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Not worth the money.  My friend got one, let's just say I was not impressed.  Let's just say it looked rode hard and put up wet.

He threatened to sue them for false advertising, they sent him another one.  I haven't seen that one yet.

Buy the LEGP instead.  You'd be 1000 times happier.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I seen their add in Shotgun News, the add states they use a CIA (Century Arms) receiver.  I don't know, maybe Hesse makes receivers for CIA??  The price is in line with a Hesse rifle.

IMO, build your own for the same money.

OSA
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw one at a gunshow recently, rough is the first word I think of seeing it. The finish looked like spray paint, and the upper and lower didn't match. The furniture was scabby. The muzzlebrake was rather odd looking. BTW, Hesse builds the FAL and Cetme receivers for Century, so it would be logical to belive they built the AR lowers. I have dealt with a Hesse lower, crap is the word. Needed lots of work just to make the parts fit in. Had to re-tap the screwhole for the pistol grip. The finish looks like it was machined by someone with Parkinsons with a Dremel. Find someone with an FFL that will do the transfer, and buy a Bushmaster from Keislers for not much more. You will have one hell of a lot better rifle for the same, and actually have some re-sale value.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#6]
If they are anything like the old "CIA" rifles from about 1997, here's what they are.  They are basically a Colt parts kit built onto an Olympic Arms lower.  The CIA lowers were made by Olympic for Century.  The rest of the gun came from Israeli M-16's.  The guns were Colt's imported back into the States minus the lower.  Century built the guns back up onto special made Olympic Arms lowers.  The "M-16" parts were simply ground and milled into AR-15 parts.  Some of them looked pretty heavily used from their use by the Israeli Army.  The one I used to own and wish I still had was an A1 model.  It also had the bayonet lug ground off and a muzzle brake welded onto the barrel.  They aren't the prettiest guns, but they do use genuine Colt parts.  

Here's a link to Olympic's serial number list which desribes the CIA guns a little. (The CIA lowers are described about half way down)

[url]http://www.olyarms.com/serialnumbers.html[/url]

Link Posted: 8/12/2001 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Did'nt they used to advertise them in SGN as
COLT AR-15(style)-----style in small curseve
writing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
writing.
View Quote

Saw that same ad. What a cheap peice of shit. I pity the fool who buys this!
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
writing.
View Quote

Saw that same ad. What a cheap peice of shit. I pity the fool who buys this!
View Quote

That's right it is a piece of sh*t(I mean a Colt).  The whole gun is Colt except for the Oly lower.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]
If they are in good shape, then it sounds like a bargain to me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If they are in good shape, then it sounds like a bargain to me.
View Quote

Thats the thing they aren't. They are shoddy POS passed off as an AR.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Well my buddy got his replacement rifle from them and took it to our shoot Saturday.

This was a handpicked rifle, since he had threatened to sue them over the first one they sent him.  It looked better than the first one, but it's nowhere near a 'new' rifle.

I had a H&LL of time battle field sighting that SOB.

The front sight was very worn, making it hard to disengage the retention pin, even using the proper front sight tool.

I was unable to get the front sight post down low enough to sight the weapon in.  We finally disassembled things and after 15 minutes of cleaning of gunk and grime out of the front sight, I finally got the parts working.

I will say that at least the rifle seemed to run reliably, though we only put about 60 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#13]
No where are these rifles advertised as new rifles.  Understand what you are getting for the price.  You are geting a surplus Colt (basically) for under $500.  Trying to compare these to a new Bushmaster or DPMS is stupidity.

[img]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=46241[/img]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top