Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 8:23:34 PM EDT
I hate 'em. I spent the weekend in the woods, and slew three this evening in a nail-polish-based counteroffensive. I suppose that my loathing for them is no more justified than a cow's loathing for me would be (if a cow could gin up an emotion as sophisticated as loathing), but I just hate them.

A mosquito does her business and flits off; a horsefly stalks you, feasts, and buzzes off in low-speed triumph, but the tick - the tick moves in, determined to get intimate and set up housekeeping on your person. I suppose it's the presumption that aggravates me and makes it personal.

When I swat a mosquito, I give it scarcely a thought; when I crush a meaty porcine horsefly or yellowfly I briefly snarl "You lose," like a bad hombre in a cheap western. But when I paint and suffocate a tick, I wallow in the thought of her abdominal gasps; I laugh out loud at the imagined supplications she sends up to her two-synapse exoskeletal god; I relish the thought of her death and leer at her lifeless extracted body with the guilty enthusiasm of a trans-species Dahmer surveying a tiny refrigerator full of victims.

I hate ticks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of anyone painting ticks with nail polish. We always just picked them off. Chiggers we painted with nail polish.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]
lol.

havent gotten any yet so far, they arent that prevalent where i am in ohio
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]

A mosquito does her business and flits off; a horsefly stalks you, feasts, and buzzes off in low-speed triumph, but the tick - the tick moves in, determined to get intimate and set up housekeeping on your person. I suppose it's the presumption that aggravates me and makes it personal.

Henceforth, the term "wife" will be replaced with "tick".
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
You have a bad attitude mister
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm absolutely terrified of Lyme disease so I hate ticks even more.  A little girl that I baby sat as a teenager is crippled for life because of Lyme and I've seen too many people near death from it as well.  We have ticks down by our creek.  When ever I'm working the dogs down by the creek I shower in flea tick shampoo.  The ticks do not even attach to my pants legs afterwards.  Sounds kind of weird but I want nothing to do with a tick.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Henceforth, the term "wife"tick will be replaced with "tick"wife.

Fixed.

As for the parasite in question, I have a huge problem with blood sucking anything.   Mosquitos drive me nuts but not nearly as much as leeches and ticks.

I get squimish around needles and nearly pass out giving blood.  My problem stems from seeing dirty needles on the gutter and associating needles with diseased drug addicts.

Blood sucking critters are nothing but needles with wings/legs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]
"SPOON!!!"
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#9]

I hate 'em.

I'll heartily agree with you. I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever when I was in grade school.

Ticks suck bigtime - no pun intended.

NMSight
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I hate them too, and I'm glad I've only had a couple in my life. Chiggers though... I had a several-month duel with those.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to absolutely hate them, but I got so many of them while hunting that I got used to them. Now I'd rather have a tick than a mosquito, because they're so much easier to get rid of. You can also be more subtle while getting rid of a tick, but when you have a deer or turkey nearby you can't just reach up and swat the mosquito that's drinking out of your forehead.

I used to torture ticks when I was younger. We'd pick big ones of the dog, then run a couple straight pins through them before dropping them in water to see how long they last. (Too long. Still kicking a half hour later. Not enough patience to watch anymore).  We also used to light them and watch the little rocket/blood propelled critter shoot across the floor in the garage.

Ahhhhh, good times.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I used to absolutely hate them, but I got so many of them while hunting that I got used to them. Now I'd rather have a tick than a mosquito, because they're so much easier to get rid of. You can also be more subtle while getting rid of a tick, but when you have a deer or turkey nearby you can't just reach up and swat the mosquito that's drinking out of your forehead.

I used to torture ticks when I was younger. We'd pick big ones of the dog, then run a couple straight pins through them before dropping them in water to see how long they last. (Too long. Still kicking a half hour later. Not enough patience to watch anymore).  We also used to light them and watch the little rocket/blood propelled critter shoot across the floor in the garage.

Ahhhhh, good times.

Twins, separated at birth, you and I.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#13]
good morning.

what you people need is some fire ants.

when i moved here 25 years ago there were lots of ticks.  LOTS of ticks.

then the fire ants came.

i haven't pulled a tick off myself in 15 years.  i see one once in a while, but for the most part they are gone.  if you have pets that run in the woods you will still see some ticks.

i can make you a deal on some fire ants.  

or you could just wait because they are gonna be there sooner or later.

enjoy.

peace.
billr
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm absolutely terrified of Lyme disease so I hate ticks even more.  A little girl that I baby sat as a teenager is crippled for life because of Lyme and I've seen too many people near death from it as well.  We have ticks down by our creek.  When ever I'm working the dogs down by the creek I shower in flea tick shampoo.  The ticks do not even attach to my pants legs afterwards.  Sounds kind of weird but I want nothing to do with a tick.

If you will put powdered sulphur on your pants legs, it will keep off the ticks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top