Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 1:57:01 PM EDT
Passed today!

Well, I feel stupid. In closer reading the bill passed the with a 6-3 out of committee. I'm not sure, but I think this means that it still has to pass a vote by the House.

Keeping fingers crossed because last year it didn't even make it out of committee.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Yer shitting me right?  Linky?

Welcome to the fold.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Please splain'
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Please splain'

In a nutshell, you can CCW with out a permit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I havn't seen anything about this! I always knew this was the greatest state in the union but damn, how bout that!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
That's great news for you.

Now all we need to do is dump the walking scrotum we have for a govenor and we might have a chance here in Dairyland
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Great! I go to wyoming all the time, is residency required?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Good deal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#8]
WY is pretty damn cool.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Great! I go to wyoming all the time, is residency required?

Same question.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#10]
That is great

Hope this trend keeps spreading

GM
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm pretty sure this is it: legisweb.state.wy.us/2006/introduced/HB0078.pdf

And yes, you have to be a resident for the previous 90 days.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like I need to find a job there!  Good CCW and nice scenery!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Please splain'

In a nutshell, you can CCW with out a permit.

awesome, that includes everywhere?

in MT, we can carry concealed without a permit in 96% of the land, which means out side of city limits.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Haven't seen any info on this passing, just the text of the legislation which will go into effect July 1.

Funny, this will give Wyoming a perfect "F" on the brady scorecard.  

You guys rock!

ETA:  Checked legisweb.state.wy.us/2006/Status/STATUS.pdf

Says it was introduced, but it was only updated yesterday.  Who knows?

Still wanna see some proof before I can start doing a happy dance...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure this is it: legisweb.state.wy.us/2006/introduced/HB0078.pdf

And yes, you have to be a resident for the previous 90 days.

Darn it.

I guess they still have reciprocity w/ Colorado CCW though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#16]
GOOD FOR YOU ALL!!! WOOOT!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I am happy that the constitution as it was written is being applied if ever so slowly. Congrats! up next WI and a national resoprosity! Woot!!!!

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#18]
God bless Wyoming and the USA! Hopefully, a "right to carry" will exist in the PRK one day. It always makes me feel good when I see "gun control" go BACKWARD where we get to be AMERICANS again and anti gun politics fall by the wayside.

And a word for our Wyoming brothers. Carry often, Carry everywhere, and remember, when carrying a firearm, comes great responcibility.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Welcom to the club, it's nice not to worry about a ccw permit
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#20]
It's a shame that we have to get excited about that...it should be the law in every state.

HH
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#21]
STOP THE PRESS

House Bill 46 was shot down in committee & this was the no retreat bill. Thus you must retreat before using deadly force.

House Bill 78 and 88 passed committee but they ARE NOT LAWyet.

Poke Here to check out the 2006 Budget Session 58th Legislature House Bills Index / Senate Files Index and then check out the The WYOMING Legislative Process link.

It's still a long way before Wyoming passes the Vermont style CCW law.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Shrike9

You are spot on. In my excitement I missed the COMMITTE part until I had a chance to re-read the paper.

I feel really stupid for starting all of the excitement.

The bright spot here is that last year the bill never made it out of committee.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:28:58 AM EDT
[#23]
House backs no gun permits
By BEN NEARY
Associated Press writer
February 23, 2006

CHEYENNE -- Wyoming residents would be able to carry concealed handguns without going through the existing state permit process under a bill that received initial approval Wednesday from the House of Representatives.

By a voice vote, the House overwhelmingly approved the bill. It still needs two more approvals in the House before it would head to the Senate.

The bill would specify that in order to carry a concealed handgun, a person must be at least 21 years old, not be a felon and not habitually use alcohol to the extent that his normal faculties are impaired.

Supporters said the legislation wouldn't do away with Wyoming's existing permit system for concealed handguns. Holders of such permits, which require a state background check, can carry concealed weapons in other states with reciprocity agreements and also don't have to wait for criminal background checks before buying handguns from dealers.

Rep. Becket Hinckley, R-Cheyenne and among the sponsors of the bill, said the legislation will appeal to people who don't trust the government and don't want to submit to government background checks before exercising their right to carry guns. He said hunters often want to carry handguns under their coats, but don't want to place their names on any government lists by applying for concealed carry permits.

Rep. Dan Zwonitzer, R-Cheyenne, said he owns guns and enjoys shooting. However, he said Wyoming is among the top states in the country in terms of gun-related deaths by population and said the state doesn't need legislation to encourage more people to carry guns.

Zwonitzer quoted the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which states in part that a "well-regulated militia" is necessary to the security of a free state. He said he wouldn't have a problem with the bill if it specified that members of the Wyoming National Guard have a right to carry weapons.

Rep. Stephen Watt, R-Rock Springs, responded that the term "militia," when the Constitution was written, "included just about everybody in America."

Rep. Steve Harshman, R-Casper, said the question comes down to whether lawmakers trust the people.

"As a native son of Wyoming, I've hunted and fished, and grew up with guns," Harshman said. "It's been a real joy."

Byron Oedekoven, executive director of the Wyoming Association of Sheriffs and Chiefs of Police, said after the House vote that his group opposes the legislation and intends to lobby lawmakers to oppose it.

"The bill is troubling," Oedekoven said. "And please convey that we are for the Second Amendment."

Among the association's concerns with the bill, Oedekoven said, is no requirement that people show any proficiency with a handgun and no requirement that they undergo criminal background checks.

www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2006/02/23/news/wyoming/40af1a99841211488725711e0008fa82.txt
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Rep. Dan Zwonitzer, R-Cheyenne, said he owns guns and enjoys shooting. However, he said Wyoming is among the top states in the country in terms of gun-related deaths by population and said the state doesn't need legislation to encourage more people to carry guns.

Asshole
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Welcom to the club, it's nice not to worry about a ccw permit

As long as you stay in VT, or only travel to AK. No reciproicity in any state for VT.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Zwonitzer quoted the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which states in part that a "well-regulated militia" is necessary to the security of a free state. He said he wouldn't have a problem with the bill if it specified that members of the Wyoming National Guard have a right to carry weapons.

"The bill is troubling," Oedekoven said. "And please convey that we are for the Second Amendment."

WTF?

Apparently both of them know what the 2nd is, but not what it means.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I have an interesting question.   If, IF, it passes, can I still renew my WY concealed carry license so that I can carry in states with reciprocity with WY?   In other words, if I let my license expire, but are still able to conceal legally in WY, I would not be able to carry in MT, or ID, where I currently am legal, right?

Oooops answered my own question....just have to read a little

Supporters said the legislation wouldn't do away with Wyoming's existing permit system for concealed handguns. Holders of such permits, which require a state background check, can carry concealed weapons in other states with reciprocity agreements and also don't have to wait for criminal background checks before buying handguns from dealers.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

WTF?

Apparently both of them know what the 2nd is, but not what it means.

They love to quote the "well-regulated militia" section, but it seems they always ignore that pesky, final part of the amendment..."the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Good luck, Wyoming!!  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Ya know the best part about this is.....

If this goes through, I will be able to convince my wife to carry.   She didn' t want to go through all the hassle of the background check, and paying the fee.

That means I need to start shopping for my "wifes" CCW gun....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:06:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Ya know the best part about this is.....

If this goes through, I will be able to convince my wife to carry.   She didn' t want to go through all the hassle of the background check, and paying the fee.

That means I need to start shopping for my "wifes" CCW gun....

Under existing WY law my wife can not get a CCW as she is a Canadian citizen and not a American. However, if I understand this right she will be legal in state IF it passes

She likes the G-19 and Sig 239 (357Sig)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#31]
b

Quoted:
STOP THE PRESS

House Bill 46 was shot down in committee & this was the no retreat bill. Thus you must retreat before using deadly force.

Poke Here to check out the 2006 Budget Session 58th Legislature House Bills Index / Senate Files Index and then check out the The WYOMING Legislative Process link.

You may want to re-read HB 46. It states that if you are in a place at which you are legaly entitled to be, you have NO requirement to retreat and can stand your ground and fight. It further stipulates protection from civil liability should you use deadly force in protecting yourself or others.

It still has a ways to go before it becomes law, but it's title is misleading. It passed 57 to 1.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
b

Quoted:
STOP THE PRESS

You may want to re-read HB 46. It states that if you are in a place at which you are legaly entitled to be, you have NO requirement to retreat and can stand your ground and fight. It further stipulates protection from civil liability should you use deadly force in protecting yourself or others.

It still has a ways to go before it becomes law, but it's title is misleading. It passed 57 to 1.

That is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Hummm, according to both the paper and TV it failed, but if you look HERE it says it was introduced and refered to HO1 whatever that is.

You are correct in that this bill does not make you retreat. However, under current WY law my understanding is you must retreat if possible before using deadly force.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#34]
I believe that refers to the (HO1) house, first quarter of the year. I think the Wyoming legislature has a kick ass website!

In scrolling down the list of Bills, I ran accross another bill, HB0062, regarding mobile communications in vehicles. After reading the bill, which is meant to stop driving while using a cellphone, I notice it exempted CB radios but made no mention of licensed radio ametuers.

I HAD to e-mail the bills' sponser and make him aware of the ommision. I hope he reads it and adds an exemption for we ham operators! We'll see.

If you are wondering about my being in KY and being concerned with Wyoming politics, I am awaiting a decision on getting hired for a job out in the Pinedale area. I can barely stand it!! I'm SO anxious! Pray for me!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#35]
DAMN......now I've gone and done it!! I've directly influenced the political process!! w00t!

I just received an e-mail from the guy and he says he 'has no problem' including Ham radio operators in the Bill!

Coolio!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#36]
This whole "the militia" is really the National guard thing has me totally puzzeled. When they were writing the Second amendment were they afraid the Gov't would prevent The Army from having weapons??? So they had to enshrine it on the constitution? So they really meant "A well regulated Army being nessessary to secure a free state, the right of the military to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"????? Wow those FF had real foresight did'nt they!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
This whole "the militia" is really the National guard thing has me totally puzzeled. When they were writing the Second amendment were they afraid the Gov't would prevent The Army from having weapons??? So they had to enshrine it on the constitution? So they really meant "A well regulated Army being nessessary to secure a free state, the right of the military to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"????? Wow those FF had real foresight did'nt they!

yeah, that part always gets me too. point me to a reference of a government anywhere, anytime in history, that could NOT arm itself and it's various branches...

it's NEVER happened. governments ALWAYS have weapons. i really don't think the founders of this nation would have seen the need to guarantee something that's a 100% safe bet anyhow.

anyways, congrats to the WY members!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top