Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 3:56:55 AM EDT
With the Bush Administration pushing this ridiculous sale of the management of port facilities to the UAE company.

There are only two possibilities...............

1) The BUSH administration is ignorant to the definition of "HOMELAND SECURITY".

or

2) The BUSH administration is ignoring "HOMELAND SECURITY" for some other gain.

Either way, I am 101% DISGUSTED with the response from the BUSH administration!

I'm tempted to believe #2 as BUSH continues to ignore our border security issues while kissing the buttocks of Vincente Fox.

My dog understands Homeland Security better than the entire BUSH administration!

So much for the "Conservative" party................
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:01:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe it was a major F*ck up that was over looked by everyone above the Treasury department and the administration doesn’t want to look like it is asleep at the wheel.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:06:22 AM EDT
[#3]
It could also be that the UAE is a stone's throw from Iran.  We'll be needing somewhere to put troops in from that has better topo than what the border with Iraq looks like. Check your Google Earth folks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When did our President endorse this?      

Maybe "endorse" was the wrong choice...................how about "defend the sale of"?...........which in my mind is an endorsement as anyone who can remember the bodies falling from the World Trade Centers would immediately realize that the concept was complete IDIOCY!

Put yourself in the Presidents shoes..........if it were me.......I'da called a press conference immediately and said "This constitutes a breach of national security and I will issue an Executive Order preventing the sale or action."

If the UAE doesn't like it.........they can go launder some more $ from Al Queda to make up for the difference.

It's idiot situations like this that have made the BUSH administration look like GOOFS!.........and I believe alot of this administration is just that!

Did they really think that the collective 9-11 memory was that short?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:11:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I guess I haven't been paying attention.  When did our President endorse this?      

According to the news,not too long ago.The only thing that can block this sale is a order by the POTUS.There are some senators maybe filing a lawsuit to try and block it.

UAE in charge of securing our shipyards....

I am trying to understand the logic behind this,but I can't.I kind of get the strategic thing,but the selling off of America by this administration is starting to bug me.Shit,the British were/are in charge of the security,now the UAE??

What about Halliburton, or the various other security contractors?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It could also be that the UAE is a stone's throw from Iran.  We'll be needing somewhere to put troops in from that has better topo than what the border with Iraq looks like. Check your Google Earth folks.

So is IRAQ!...........I mean we "own" Iraq now............right?

Why not use the property that several thousand USGI's died to take?    

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:11:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:15:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:17:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was totally shocked when I heard this on the radio yesterday. I still have trouble accepting this, there has to be more to the story.

There has to be...But looking at it for what it is,that's what it is.UAE will be in charge of securing the majority of our shipyards.

If this contract goes through,Bush should be impeached on the grounds of stupidity.Even if it is part of some strategic plan,what is our payback ? Don't we have ships in the Persian gulf that are capable of hitting any targets in Iran ?

I need enlightenment,quick.I am losing faith in the current administration and their ability to turn down the highest bidder,which I'm sure is UAE.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:18:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So is IRAQ!...........I mean we "own" Iraq now............right?

Why not use the property that several thousand USGI's died to take?    

www.uark.edu/depts/globmark/middeastmap.jpg

Trust me I'm no advocate of what's going on with our ports. This is just a theory I had after looking at Google Earth.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:20:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Tumor.  I'm very willing to wager that it will not happen.  It is indeed opening our country up to further risk.  Our President will not permit that.    I firmly believe that is the case.

I sure hope you're right. Between this and the lack of action on the southern border I dont know what to think.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:22:27 AM EDT
[#12]
It gets even better.  The person who made the decision is a former employee of the UAE company that has been awarded the contract.  He used to work there before being hired by DHS.   Previoulsy this job was done by a British company.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If this contract goes through,Bush should be impeached on the grounds of stupidity.

If TUMOR where President........this would be the situation in the Oval Office at the next cabinet meeting:

"WHICH ONE OF YOU FUCKING MORONS LET THIS GET TO THIS POINT?!?! .... ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY?!?.....SPEAK UP NOW!!!!.......I'LL WAIT 10 SECONDS FOR AN ANSWER AND THEN SOMEBODY GETS AN ASS KICKING!"
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:42:36 AM EDT
[#14]
P&O, a British company, had been OPERATING these ports for the past 10 years.  These ports are union and no change in employees will result.  It is unlikely the UAE owners would change anything other than billing addresses.

Chinese operated the Los Angeles port for some time.  Japanese corporations owned Rockefeller Center.  Despite this, we still posesses these locations as it is 9/10ths of the law.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Remember, why were no domestic corporations bidding on this sale?  Profitability has been killed through taxation.

That is the REAL issue here.  Congress killing business by over taxing.  This causes offshoring and foreign investment because it is driven by the lack of fiscal restraint.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:03:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Think about this one folks - GW and the Repubbies are going to take a political hammering by the Democrats for this one, regardless of whether there really is a security threat or not.

The Dems now have a big bat to swing at the Repubbies, and the Hildebeast will be sure to pick it up.

This is not good on so many levels.

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I was totally shocked when I heard this on the radio yesterday. I still have trouble accepting this, there has to be more to the story.

That is what I thought, too.  But..............
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:11:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
P&O, a British company, had been OPERATING these ports for the past 10 years.  These ports are union and no change in employees will result.  It is unlikely the UAE owners would change anything other than billing addresses.

Chinese operated the Los Angeles port for some time.  Japanese corporations owned Rockefeller Center.  Despite this, we still posesses these locations as it is 9/10ths of the law.

As earlier posters commented, there may be a quid pro quo with UAE - the map above is instructive.

Your last sentence is the heart of the issue: the ports are here; the people are the same including the "right people" mixed in there to keep an eye on things.

I would remind people who may not know that there is an "Enemy Properties Act" which goes back to 1937, I believe.  When WWII broke out, we seized the property of the enemy.  What, one may ask, property was of any significance?  Many, but an example was Bayer.  Yes, Bayer asperin was owned by Farbwerk Bayer.  It was taken, and given/sold cheap to an American pharmaceutical Co.  Bayer bought their trademark and facility back for 1 billion dollars, somtime in the last 10 or 15 years.  BTW, for those who are  not familiar with the history of that war, the Germans did not attack us.  So, I think if therte were some "problem" those ports would change hands about as fast as a Federal judge could sign a piece of paper.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:16:19 AM EDT
[#19]
is it the whole ports?
or are ports made up of numerous companies?
never been to a port so i don't know how the ports operate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top