Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 10:52:29 AM EDT
Good? No good? About the same as most of the others?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I have them, Same crappy coverage and service as the others.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Cingular has always treated me well.. I was a customer before I worked for them and continue to be, even though I no longer work there. Depending on what you do for a living (what company you work for/retired from) you may be entitled to a discount on your service through Cingular.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#3]
They've worked great for me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Hate em....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#5]
it's all the same....really
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Sucks........I've had nothing but problems.

From the crappy phone that doesn't ring when someone calls to Voicemails dissappearing into cyberspace.

Get Sprint, I'll be going back to them with my tail between my legs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Cingular sucks.All the way around in every catagory.ATT was infinitely better. That being said I don't know anybody who's cellular service doesn't suck so what to do?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Fine here, I use their pay as you go service (I don't use a cell much I just have it for emergencies and the like) ends up costing me about $9 a month after tax ($25 card($27 after tax here)  lasts 3 months, with the $0.25/minute plan that is 100 minutes /3months or 33minutes a month with rollover).
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
weren't they just sold back to att recently? Semms like i heard a rumor about that.

coverage, i put them on par with tmobile, better than sprint, not as good as verizon.

Cingular bought ATT.

Cingular and Tmobile use the same GSM technology. in some areas they even share towers. Some areas Cingular works, other areas Tmobile works. It's the same with any other carrier.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
weren't they just sold back to att recently? Semms like i heard a rumor about that.

coverage, i put them on par with tmobile, better than sprint, not as good as verizon.

Cingular bought ATT.

Cingular and Tmobile use the same GSM technology. in some areas they even share towers. Some areas Cingular works, other areas Tmobile works. It's the same with any other carrier.

Cingular bought AT&T Wireless from AT&T Corp.  
SBC bought Cingular
SBC bought/merged with AT&T Corp.

I work for one of the above companies.   My personal cell phone is a Verizon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#12]
With AT&T we had great service and good connections...as soon as Cingular bought them, besides dumping my stock, the service is not much better than average...it took a year to get phones and connections adequate and my comment to the service department,  " I have to tell my callers I am on a cell phone and might be disconnected at any time so if the line goes dead you know why".  I shouldn't have to give my callers disclaimers.  If I knew of something better, I'd go to it but I hear complaints about all the services.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Been with Cingular for a few months now.  Overall I'm pretty happy with them, not much to gripe about.

I love how I can pay an extra $7 a month and have my nights start at 7pm instead of 9pm (and extend until 7am the next day as opposed to 6am).
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Cingular phone service is usually fine...but their customer service sucks ass.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had sprint, nextel, t-mobile and now cingular.  Cingular is by for the best I've had.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I know one person who had them was in a rural area, had problems.

I went to look into them when my last Alltel contact was up, had some problems with the store, so I kept Alltel
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Verizon>all.

Cingular used to be Cell One. They REFUSED to deal with my dad when he wanted a phone.

My family has been with Verizon since it was Ameritech, and when Ameritech sold their phones out of Radio Shack stores.

I have Verizon, I will stay with Verizon.  

Can you hear me now?

Good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#18]
My Cingular service is fine, but the Motorola V400 I bought sucks ass
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've had sprint, nextel, t-mobile and now cingular.  Cingular is by for the best I've had.  

Yeah, Nextel blows also.  My dad has one(for work that is) and the reception and signal are crap.

Needless to say Nextel sucks because you always hear what the other person says because they turn their speakers up loud.

Whenever I hear the "Beep Beep" of a Nextel I roll my eyes and think, Oh Jeez not this shit again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Run, do not walk away. I ordered my phone online. Had to do it twice actually over a five day period. After spending hours and hours with their "customer service" when I finally recieved my phone, they were completely unable to begin providing me with service. I spent on average, two hours at a pop on the phone, three times a week, for a month before I finally called and was connected to a guy that actually knew how to do his job. I had been told over the last month by everyone there including regional managers that my phone had to wait and wait and that they couldn't do a thing for me. The last guy I talked to just said, oh, they screwed this up, and fixed it in about three minutes.

They suck.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I had Cingular, I had dropped calls, it was expensive and the network sucked.

I dropped them when my contract was up a few years back, went with Verizon, and haven't looked back. I've had maybe 3 dropped calls in 3+ years with Verizon as opposed to a drop every 3rd or 4th call with Cingular.

I've been on the other side... Verizon is the better network. I know Consumer Reports isn't highly regarded around here but they consistenly give Verizon the highest marks of all the cell providers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Cingular here...

...dropped calls, one right after another.

On a scale of one to ten I'd have to go into negative integers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
My Cingular service is fine, but the Motorola V400 I bought sucks ass

I hate the Motorola V-series phones.  My mom had a V60 and that sucker would drop calls.  It was a POS.

I've had a Kyocera KX414, now have an LG VX3300.  The LG is more basic than the Kyocera.   I had a problem with the battery in the Kyocera.  I got rid of it after the earpiece speaker died on it.  

One thing I miss about the KX414 is that it had "Get it now" Verizon's service for downloading ringtones.  Oh well, the default ringtiones are fine for the LG.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Verizon>all.

Cingular used to be Cell One. They REFUSED to deal with my dad when he wanted a phone.

My family has been with Verizon since it was Ameritech, and when Ameritech sold their phones out of Radio Shack stores.

I have Verizon, I will stay with Verizon.  

Can you hear me now?

Good.

Cellular One was a strange beast. It wasn't a company, it was barand owned by several companies who traded under the Cellular One banner to make it appear that it was a huge company with nationwide reach.

Towards the end it was used to keep prices high in low profit (rural) areas. It existed for the benefit of its parent companies, not their customers.

Most US cell phone companies are terrible, but a license to print money if you own a license.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#27]
They are ok. But i hate it when i am talking and my phone goes from full bars to nothing and cuts off for 6 sec. then  comes back to full bars and  i miss what the person on the other end was saying. I have no idea why it does that. Could just be my phone.  But it only does it when i  am talking to people i want to talk to.    Damn Bush wire taps !!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#28]
My Daughter has Cingular and it's ok for her. I use Verizon cause it works just about everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I have 5 cell phones. 3 with Altell and 2 with Cingular. These phones are scattered among my kids, my wife , and myself.

Cingular service is ok. The only complaint that I have is when you get off of the beaten path you can't get service. Cingular service seem to follow the main highways in their service area.

Altell gives me service almost anywhere in the country.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:57:50 PM EDT
[#30]
One of my favorite subjects to bitch about, let me tell you I HATED those motherfucers... lousy ass customer support and terrible cell coverage.  Like others mentioned, enjoy going from 4 bars back to 1 then back to 4 then 1 for  a bit.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Cingular phone service is usually fine...but their customer service sucks ass.

Big fucking +1 on that.  I haven't been happy with the customer service since ATT bought SunCom.  It just gets worse and worse everytime the company is bought.  

Oh, and their service in Oregon around the Idaho border on I-84 and a little before the border SUCKS, as well as their insistence that phones need to be restarted every day to make sure they recieve updates and so on and so forth.  My v551 starts acting screwy after a week because of that crap, and drops calls.  Its bullshit.  Its a fucking phone, not a goddamned Micro$haft peice of shit operated computer!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Well I started with Cellular One then got dumped to AT&T and then to Cingular. I liked ATT the best but Cingular is alright. I live in a rural area and dont get very good service at my house but When I travel mountain passes there are almost no dead spots. IMO Verizon has better coverage in my home area.

The only reason I have not switched is because I got in on a great plan with Cell One/ATT and To get the same minutes from verizon would cost @20 more per month.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Used Sprint. Never again. Two friends tried Sprint. Horrible coverage, even worse customer service. Never again.

Used Verizon. Sticking with Verizon. Good coverage.

Girlfriend uses Cingular. Poor coverage and more dropped calls compared with Verizon (I know because I'm on the phone with her a lot, med-distance relationship). In addition, if you start your call before 9pm and keep talking after 9, it continues to use your anytime minutes, NOT your night & weekend minutes! Yeah, she got screwed over on that for several hundred dollars one month until we figured out why. With Verizon, you automatically switch to your unlimited night & weekends after 9:01pm, even if you stay connected.

I'm not saying Verizon is wonderful and a great company, cause they screwed me over charging me all these reactivation fees when we transferred our familyshare account from my dad's name to mine (same account, different name to bill to, but they CHARGED US to change who the bill went to on EVERY LINE and didn't say a damn thing about any charges to do that at the store. Found out when the bill came.

Bottom line is, cell phones are like politicians. You choose the best one you can (Verizon), but they all suck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top