BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 9:55:11 AM EDT
This would make a nice commercial for Verizon or Cingular

Woman's Arm Severed In Car Accident
LEX - Channel 18 News
Lexington, KY

A Letcher County woman suffered a horrible injury early Thursday when her arm was severed in a car crash on the Mountain Parkway in Clark County.

Jacqueline Dotson and her six-year-old daughter had to be cut out of their vehicle after the accident in which Dotson veered into the median and over-corrected, rolling her truck over the guardrail and landing upside down after flipping several times.

Several people stopped to help, and it turns out, the good samaritans may very well have saved Dotson's life. Sheila Vice, a nurse's aide, and an off-duty EMT from another county stopped to help, and put a tourniquet on Dotson's arm to stop the bleeding. Her arm was found near the accident still clutching a cell phone.

"Basically we stayed there and talked to them until the EMT drivers got there," said Vice.

Rescuers used the jaws of life to get the Dotson and her daughter out of the truck. Both were flown to hospitals, and Dotson is listed in serious condition at UK Hospital. Her daughter is not in the hospital, and sheriff's officials say they believe she's going to be fine.

Both were wearing seat belts.

www.wlextv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4449021
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#2]
maybe she was trying to dial 911 before she rolled.    
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Guess she won't prattle away on the phone while driving again..

Can you hear me now?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Hang on, i'll be right back, i'm about to wreck my shit.... actually can i call you later?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If she can steer with her knees she can.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#7]
pics?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#8]
With her 6 year old daughter in the car.

Someone should take the arm and beat Jacqueline in the head with it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Give her a hand everyone...she needs at least one.

www.globalschoolnet.org/about/images/applause.gif

that's just mean
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Put the damn phone down and drive you stupid twit!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Hope she wasn't in the middle of a phone call during peak hours. That would get expensive.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This would make a nice commercial for Verizon or Cingular

Woman's Arm Severed In Car Accident
LEX - Channel 18 News
Lexington, KY

A Letcher County woman suffered a horrible injury early Thursday when her arm was severed in a car crash on the Mountain Parkway in Clark County.

Jacqueline Dotson and her six-year-old daughter had to be cut out of their vehicle after the accident in which Dotson veered into the median and over-corrected, rolling her truck over the guardrail and landing upside down after flipping several times.

Several people stopped to help, and it turns out, the good samaritans may very well have saved Dotson's life. Sheila Vice, a nurse's aide, and an off-duty EMT from another county stopped to help, and put a tourniquet on Dotson's arm to stop the bleeding. Her arm was found near the accident still clutching a cell phone.

"Basically we stayed there and talked to them until the EMT drivers got there," said Vice.

Rescuers used the jaws of life to get the Dotson and her daughter out of the truck. Both were flown to hospitals, and Dotson is listed in serious condition at UK Hospital. Her daughter is not in the hospital, and sheriff's officials say they believe she's going to be fine.

Both were wearing seat belts.

www.wlextv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4449021

From my Cold Dead Hands....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#14]
This thread is WORTHLESS without pics!

I actually saw that last one!  Happened in north Miami.  Funny as all shit.  Dumb bitch was talking on her cell phone and didnt notice that the road stopped and the marina was at 12 o'clock.  dumbass
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Give her a hand everyone...she needs at least one.

www.globalschoolnet.org/about/images/applause.gif

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#16]
taggittytag
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#17]
For home use only:

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#18]
It's gotten to the point that I keep a close eye on my rear view mirror to make sure the dumbass behind me isn't gabbing on the telephone.  If the dumbass is I take it MORE seriously than if I saw them turning up a fifth and taking a swig.  That might be the person's first drink and they're still sober.  For the idiot on the phone you can rest assured they're driving impaired.  

I will turn, move three cars ahead, whatever it takes to get away from them.  I will do this without exception, every time, I don't give a fuck if I'm late or whatever.  I'm not going to be killed by one of these retards if I can help it.

Yes, I have been hit previously by a fuckhat on the telephone (teenager, male, dressed in what I can only describe as "underpriviledged pirate" garb).
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
(teenager, male, dressed in what I can only describe as "underpriviledged pirate" garb).

Now that shit is funny.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#20]
This story is hilarious!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(teenager, male, dressed in what I can only describe as "underpriviledged pirate" garb).

Now that shit is funny.

Butt Pirate?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Wanna bet?

Bitch still has one arm left.

And who is she gonna sue?  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Guess she doesn't have a right to bear arms anymore?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#24]
...You can have my cellphone when you take it from my cold dead.......oh shit!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#25]
You mean she dosen't have a " bare right arm "  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#26]
A few years ago when all the anti cell phone noise was at its peak, AAA (one of the nation’s largest auto insurance providers) funded a study conducted by the University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center.

The study showed that only 1.5% of “distracted driver” accidents were caused by cell phone use.
So, what about the other 98.5% you ask?

The study found that drivers were most often distracted by something outside their vehicle (29.4 percent) followed by adjusting a radio or CD player (11.4 percent). Other specific distractions included talking with other occupants (10.9 percent), adjusting vehicle or climate controls (2.8 percent), eating or drinking (1.7 percent), cell-phone use (1.5 percent) and smoking (0.9 percent).

According to the numbers, rubber-necking is the #1 cause of these type of accidents.

I think people who cause accidents while driving and talking on cell phones would also pose a danger walking down the street and talking on the phone. Some people just should not be behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Put the damn phone down and drive you stupid twat!

fixed it for you

bad PD bad PD
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll stand by my statement that I'd rather see a driver behind me drinking from a whiskey bottle than talking on the telephone.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
A few years ago when all the anti cell phone noise was at its peak, AAA (one of the nation’s largest auto insurance providers) funded a study conducted by the University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center.

The study showed that only 1.5% of “distracted driver” accidents were caused by cell phone use.
So, what about the other 98.5% you ask?

The study found that drivers were most often distracted by something outside their vehicle (29.4 percent) followed by adjusting a radio or CD player (11.4 percent). Other specific distractions included talking with other occupants (10.9 percent), adjusting vehicle or climate controls (2.8 percent), eating or drinking (1.7 percent), cell-phone use (1.5 percent) and smoking (0.9 percent).

According to the numbers, rubber-necking is the #1 cause of these type of accidents.

I think people who cause accidents while driving and talking on cell phones would also pose a danger walking down the street and talking on the phone. Some people just should not be behind the wheel.

that is retarded. Most all people have stereos or heat in their vehicle
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#30]
This gives a whole new meaning to the "hands free" feature....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Anybody read "Cell" ? The new one by Stephen King...Everyone on their cellphones at a certain moment get turned into Zombies...hilarity ensues..
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Here..."Talk to the "hand."  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#33]
isn't that exactly what happened to "thing" from the munsters?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
This thread is WORTHLESS without pics!

Unlike the Chunnel you cannot take your car on the Subway.

edit for spelling
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#35]
So why is it that pilots, race car drivers, and police officers can tallk on the radio all the time without wrecking, often times at very high speeds, but people just driving their cars around town cant talk on a cell phone without wrecking?

Its the same thing is it not?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:41:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
So why is it that pilots, race car drivers, and police officers can tallk on the radio all the time without wrecking, often times at very high speeds, but people just driving their cars around town cant talk on a cell phone without wrecking?

Not the same thing. The big difference is that these types of communications are most often short and to the point. They cause very little distraction to the vehicle operator. Idiots with cell phones glued to their empty heads are usually rambling on about meaningless B.S. and paying little attention to their driving, or the other vehicles around them.

And I don't believe for one minute that a cell phone was found in the hand of a severed arm.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:57:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Idiots with cell phones glued to their empty heads are usually rambling on about meaningless B.S. and paying little attention to their driving, or the other vehicles around them.

some of these teen gals and some women seem to be talking on the phone 1st, driving 2nd.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:08:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Take a person who is a poor driver to begin with (over 80% of drivers IMHO) and put a cell phone in their hand and you have a problem. I can spot them 100 yards away easily and they are damn scarey to have to share the road with.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:33:03 AM EDT
[#39]
The husband is curious who she was talking to....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The husband is curious who she was talking to....

"Me too."
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Reminds me of a joke.

Police arrive at the scene of an accident where an agitated Yuppie is carrying on about how is beloved Beemer was wrecked when a truck side swipped him.

The officer in trying to calm the yuppie down said you yuppies are all the same. So focused on your material things you didn't even notice your arm was torn off in the accident.

The Yuppie looked down and screamed "OH no.....my Rolex"

Bomber
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#42]
OUCH.  Missed that one on the local news.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:20:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Maybe she'll keep that fucking cell phone out of her face when (if) she's driving in the future. Stupid bitch....endangering her child like that!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Pilots/race car drivers/police officers can do it because their conversations are usually related directly to the task at hand.

The person driving their car around town is talking about last night's date.

The problem with cell phones is that they lead to attention blindness.  In other words, the cell phone talker becomes so engrossed mentally in a conversation about something unrelated to their driving that their brain starts to ignore what's going on around them (even what's directly in front of them).  In short, they become distracted from their driving.

A pilot, race car driver, and (to a lesser extent) a police officer is usually talking about something centered around their flying/driving.  Because their conversation is directly related to their flying/driving, their brain doesn't have to ignore what they're doing to pay attention to the conversation.  They don't suffer from attention blindness because they aren't being distracted from their driving.  They're actually paying as much or more attention to their driving because they're talking about it at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#45]
"Her arm was found near the accident still clutching a cell phone."

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not the same thing. The big difference is that these types of communications are most often short and to the point. They cause very little distraction to the vehicle operator. Idiots with cell phones glued to their empty heads are usually rambling on about meaningless B.S. and paying little attention to their driving, or the other vehicles around them.

And I don't believe for one minute that a cell phone was found in the hand of a severed arm.

Women tend to Gesture while speaking...which causes their car to swerve..
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Learn from this guy...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top