Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 6:52:23 PM EDT
I've seen several shows on this over the years, one just now on the Chicken Noodle Network.  It's not like there is a flashing light on the cruiser or anything.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've seen several shows on this over the years, one just now on the Chicken Noodle Network.  It's not like there is a flashing light on the cruiser or anything.

The light gives the drunks something to aim at.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
While they're driving and have their attention to one side of the road or another, they just tend to drift.

Like moths to a flame..
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Target Fixation.

You steer toward what you are staring at.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Mind control beams.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The light gives the drunks something to aim at.

Are a large percentage of these people found to be drunk?  I remember reading in driver's ed that if someone is coming straight at you at night from the oncoming lane that you should pull over and turn your lights off, so I would believe that about drunks.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Just like a moth, they are attracted to the lights.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#7]
   Gal that hit me was drunk and probably fixated on the lights. You steer in the direction you are looking. I was out of the car,  off-road side, talking to a stranded motorist at the time or I would have been toast.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Target Fixation.

what he said.  more prevalent in motorcycle riding.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Concur mostly drunks, not all.  Ask any motorofficer you know, how many times he has been hit when stopped.  Usually not by drunks in these cases just fail to stop and wham knock the bike right out from under them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Booze + drugs = crash.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Most of the time the people who crash into parked cars on the side of highways are just sleep deprived. When you see two red lights on at night, its almost impossible to tell if they are stationary or moving in front of you like a normal car traveling at the same rate of speed as you, even when you arent tired or under the influence of something.

ETA: This is why my local department (Im not an LEO) always makes everyone stand on the side of the car facing the road. To stand inbetween two parked cars on the side of the highway is just a bad idea.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're driving down the road at 65+ mph, with one eye covered with a hand over it, stuff like that is inevitable.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Cuz, one way or another, they are stupid.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#14]
When you are talking on your God damn cell phone and putting on makeup, sh!t happens.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Many moons ago I was working very late shifts and driving home at 2-3 am. I came around a curve that transitioned into two uphill lanes and saw a pair of flashing lights ahead through light fog. No problem- until I saw that it wasn't the two lights on each corner of the car. It was two lights on the left side of the car and the lights on the right were not working. And it wasn't way down the road, like the two lights close together made it seem,  it was right there-mostly in my lane. Almost got me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Cuz, one way or another, they are stupid.

+1.

a lot of people shouldn't be driving.  soccer moms, mostly.  they don't watch where they're going - they don't care.  they're too busy worrying about billy's soccer game and the neigborhood ice cream social to pay attention to the road...  just like the bitch who slammed into the back of my brother's car(totaled the car, and gave him permanent health problems), just like the bitch that ran my grandfather down while he was walking through a paking lot(broke several of his bones), and the bitches i deal with on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Booze + drugs = crash fun.

there i fixed it for you
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Target Fixation.

Exactly.  Someone locally quoted a GA Tech study that described this phenomenon.  The topic came-up with several idiot state lawmakers decided to endanger school kids by passing a law requiring strobe lights  on the top of school buses.  So the number of buses rear-ended has increased greatly the past few years.  Thanks for endangering our children just so a relative of some lawmaker can make money selling and installing strobe lights.z
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Every object in and around  the highway landscape gets struck sooner or later. Closer to the traffic flow = greater frequency of being struck.  

By the same logic, driver side approach (when on the right shoulder) also increases the frequency of being struck. Many of those hit on CNN were doing driver's side approach.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#20]
can someone explain to me why people crash into my parked cars? Three times in less than two years.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Can someone explain to me why police park their cars where I need to drive?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Can someone explain to me why police park their cars where I need to drive?

I just want to know why they are always asking me to park in front of them on the roadside.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah - its like when you first learn to drive, and you want to use the hood ornament to be your guide, but that just makes you want to start to wander over to that side.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe the driver thinks your cute
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe they should pay more attention to the road then "RUBBERNECKING" and it wouldn't happen as much. I figure its the same reason that people crash into one another opposite a wreck headed the other way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top