Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 5:29:37 PM EDT
I was just viewing an animated gif thread on another board when I noticed that Firefox was using up over  500MB of RAM. I curse the "goddamned buggy POS" then did a bit of google investigation. Turns out, this "bug" is a "feature" (lol): Firefox, by default, caches that last X number of pages visited per session (where X is based on system memory). For 1G of system memory, Firefox caches the last eight pages you've visited. Therefore, in my animated gif thread example, Firefox had cached the last eight pages of animated gif! Luckily, you can fix this.

In the address bar type about:config
Find the setting for browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers
Change the value (-1 by default) to something like 2
Restart Firefox

Now, you should notice that Firefox will free memory every third page view. My animated gif thread now never causes Firefox to rise about 250MB.

It ain't perfect, but it helps.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont have issues with FF because I never have a browser open for more than an hour or so but will check this out to see if it helps anyone. The last fixes didnt do anything.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll try it.  That issue gives me fits, as I will leave FF open for days on end and have about 30 tabs open at once.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
There is some misinformation here. Calling it a memory leak is like calling a semi auto ar a machinegun. FF caches the last several pages in memory so when you hit the back or forward button it doesn't need to load off the disk or refetch information from the net.

If it were a true memory leak you would likely never know firefox was the culprit. Your system would report it was low on memory but you would not be able to see what application was using it. Basically because it had not been properly freed back into the system resources pool.

However, its a good tip and might actually help people out. It would be nice if the memory cache option was a little more up front.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is some misinformation here. Calling it a memory leak is like calling a semi auto ar a machinegun.

Which it why I said this:

Turns out, this "bug" is a "feature"

BTW, Firefox does actually leak memory. Disable the history caching and the memory usage will increase albeit less drastically than when the caching is enabled.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I also found that for downloading, If disable the "download manger" from automatically starting up when you download something, you will also save a bunch of memory.

click on tools>options>, on the menu select "downloads" and uncheck the box marked "show download manager when downloads begin."  If you need "download manager," you can start "download manager" manually by clicking on tools>downloads, or cntl+J.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
tag

Don't bother, I've been using the "fix" for a week and it doesn't do shit.

It only takes a couple hours of casual browsing to get up to 300MB Phys/300MB Virt.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:46:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag

Funny. I used it last night and this morning and right now FF is only using 88M of memory. I viewed a couple of animated gif threads, ARFCOM, and news sites. I'm using 1.5.01.

I guess that YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:30:54 AM EDT
[#9]
i'll be glad to sell you some more ram, to work around the problem

its doesn't bother me i use firefox occasionaly,  just ask for your money back and they will give it to you
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:41:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't seem to have the memory problem that others have.  It goes up a little after using it a while, but nothing like some of you here get.  It's at 65,353K right now and i've been surfing around for about an hour.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't seem to have the memory problem that others have.

How much memory do you have on your system?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:57:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:59:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I went and checked and my browser doesn't even have that setting. The only one I have even close is this "browser.sessionhistory.max_entries".

This might be a new setting in a recent version of FF. What version are you running?

eta: It has only been available to configure since 1.5b2 ( History)
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Recently, I've been having a problem with my computer rebooting after a few hours online. This only happens when my son is playing an online video game. I can surf ARFCOM all day, and I don't have this problem.

You might be having an overheating issue - clean out your cpu heat sinks and fans lately?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag

Funny. I used it last night and this morning and right now FF is only using 88M of memory. I viewed a couple of animated gif threads, ARFCOM, and news sites. I'm using 1.5.01.

I guess that YMMV.

Are you by any chance also using the browser.cache.memory.capacity setting? I was told that this would fix the memory leak problem (which as far as I can recall, has existed since beta) but I don't think it has. Maybe slowed it down a bit, but I am still seeing 400 meg memory consumption.

I'm trying your setting to see if that, or a combination of the 2, really fixes the problem. Fraid I can't roll Firefox to my enterprise until this problem is addressed (and it IS a memory leak!)
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't seem to have the memory problem that others have.

How much memory do you have on your system?

2016M
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#19]
bump because i just figured this out independently (by googling) and was about to dupe this thread
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:36:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't buy it.

You're telling me those animated gifs are over 50 mb. each?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top