Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 11:20:46 AM EDT
Helped my favorite uncle (a shooter with lots of good toys) with some legal issues last year, and he called me a few minutes ago and said that he's going to work me up a new rifle to match one he's making.  (He wound up with two actions and two kreiger barrels and figured what the heck).

Its going to be a 6.5-284 Win., which I understand to be a tack driver.

Anyone have one of these, and any advice on working up some loads.   What's the top end in terms of what you can hunt with one of these.

From what I can tell, they're a very special application with abysmally low barrel life (one site said that the 800 yard quarter minute of angle accuracy lasts only for about 700 shots before the groups open up).

I love getting a free rifle, but I don't want a money pit.   Take me to school, fellas....
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#2]
All i know, is its the new hotness out there. But i dont see it becomming a factory round.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  Keep it coming folks!  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
.284 win was originally developed to replicate 280 rem performance in a short action.
The rim is a standard diameter (30-06. 308) while the body is larger diameter than the rim, without a belt. I think it has been necked up and down to just about every caliber at one time or another. I remember meeting a guy at the range who had a .284-22 that was going well over 4000 feet per sec. Seems like 6.5 would be a good performer, and easy to neck size from original cases, athough those cases are hard to come by.

edit: my 284 bolt gun has always been hard to load for, mainly because the oal of the round requires the bullets to be seated to far in the case. If I could seat the bullets farther out I'm sure my accuracy would improve. If your building your own rifle, choose an action that will allow a decent oal, then make sure the chamber isn't reamed to deep.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
What everyone else says.  They make a good F-class rifle.  Oh, and they eat barrels.  Expect 1500-200 rounds before the barrel has to be pulled and set back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top