Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2006 7:27:20 PM EDT
blah, blah, blah.  All I hear from people is that my priorities are not straight and that I need to stop buying gun stuff and focus more on starting a family/buy house and all that stuff.  I am beginning to think that those people are just jealous that I don't have a bunch of kids to feed or that I am not swallowed up in credit card debt, car payments or home loans.

Ran into someone I knew tonigh at Wal-mart and I had an armfull of ammo.  This person kept saying that if I sold off my gun stuff it would amount to a good down payment on a home.  The people that are telling me this aren't anti gun per say just don't think that it is smart for me to spend so much money on it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#1]
My parents give ne the same speech.

They want me to save for the schooling that is payed for by the College.

I know they mean well and are probably right but it is still frustrating.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck 'em. Enjoy your stuff, just stay out of debt.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
ignore them

live your life how you want to

don't let what anyone else thinks prevent you from enjoying your life or doing what you want to do.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
VTHOKIE,
don't listen to them. Do what YOU think is best.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Following good advice is wise.

Doesn't sound like you're getting any of it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What he said! If you truly want freedom debt-free living is essential.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I don't quite follow.  Are you saying you think that VTHOKIE is getting good advice from his friends or do you feel that VTHOKIE doesn't understand what people are saying? I don't want to piss anyone off cause I don't understand what people say.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]
If you've got a family it is your responsibility to provide and take care of them.  If you're single do whatever your want as long as you're not mooching off others so you can spend your money on whatever.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

Working like hell to pay off our debts, and getting closer by the day.

Rue the day I EVER accepted Credit.

Won't happen again.

SG
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't quite follow.  Are you saying you think that VTHOKIE is getting good advice from his friends or do you feel that VTHOKIE doesn't understand what people are saying? I don't want to piss anyone off cause I don't understand what people say.  

I take it as he's NOT getting any good advice.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, he is saying that Hokie is NOT getting any good advice and these other people need to STFU and mind thier own business!
At least that's how I read it!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I get that on occasion too ,mostly about getting a house
but ya know what my cheap ass aparment  costs me far less that just the non mortgage stuff on a house would cost , I don't have to fix or maintain anything  here  I don't really want a house that i have to maintain , pay fucking taxes on , heat cool etc
Its just me no family or kids , I dhave to get furniture and stuff too I throw what would go into  a mortgage in a few mutual funds
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apologies if I was unclear.. I wasn't saying the OP wasn't "getting it", as in "get with the program", I was saying that this doesn't seem to be good advice, just biased opinion. You can't take any of this shit with you, whether it's a house or guns, so spend your money on what interests you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
blah, blah, blah.  All I hear from people is that my priorities are not straight and that I need to stop buying gun stuff and focus more on starting a family/buy house and all that stuff.  I am beginning to think that those people are just jealous that I don't have a bunch of kids to feed or that I am not swallowed up in credit card debt, car payments or home loans.

Ran into someone I knew tonigh at Wal-mart and I had an armfull of ammo.  This person kept saying that if I sold off my gun stuff it would amount to a good down payment on a home.  The people that are telling me this aren't anti gun per say just don't think that it is smart for me to spend so much money on it.

In other words, these people want you to be like them: debt-ridden, with crushing responsibilities. I have a house, three kids, a lovely wife, but if you don't want that sort of life, more power to you, live your life how you want (BUT DEBT-FREE!!!!), and don't let the naysayers get you down.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#16]
he who dies with the most stuff wins
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Just tell them that happiness is a warm gun and take them shooting so they know.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1. They'll change their tune when the zombies come.  

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Hangin' out with the wrong people!

I get told, "Man, you're doin it all right... once you have kids, all that fun shit is gone.  Enjoy it now..."
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#20]
When I was down in Georgia for my agency's academy, I met a very wise and older man, and classmate from Idaho.

He told me (I was 23 at the time, 25 now), "Joe, buy all your toys now, because when you're older and have a wife, your not gonna be able to buy any more toys."

Therefore, do what makes you happy.  I couldn't care less about buying a house.  I'll get around to it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#21]
You know what I agree with these people....You need to save up and buy you alittle house....
so you have a place to keep all your guns
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You know what I agree with these people....You need to save up and buy you alittle house....

..that's the way I look at it!

--VT
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Do what I do and tell them to go fuck themselves
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yep.
Start a family? All that crap?

pfft. I'm saving my pennies for rifles and a kick ass house of my own design. On a nice chunk of land.

I get that crap too. I wonder if they realize that I'm happy being single, mostly independent, with a M4A3 in the corner.

Then again, I haven't been paid since August, and am probably gonna have to sue my employer/school, so those savings are sitting in a coffee cup on my windowsill. But hey, it's the thought, right?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#25]
 If your young no problem. If your on your way to 30 their is a problem. Maybe not haaving a family, but you better start looking for a house. Rent is the stupidest thing a person could pay their entire life. When your ass retires and have minimum income you will be screwed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#26]
well live it up now, so when your old you'll have only a short time to regret what you should have done but were too busy living it up.

it's an old guy thing.

too soon we get old, too late we get smart.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#27]
The house advice is rock solid. If you're buying guns instead of investing in a home, you do have your priorities out of whack.

Renting=pissing money away. Period.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't want a house.  I'm still not convinced that I'm going to stay where I'm at for a while.  I'm 27, no wife, no kids, one student loan, a car loan..that's it.

Have fun before you die.  Gun habit?  I can quit anytime I want.

I am going to start saving for some land though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#29]
In the end it is up to you,do what you want and the hell with what others think of you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I don't want a house.  I'm still not convinced that I'm going to stay where I'm at for a while.  I'm 27, no wife, no kids, one student loan, a car loan..that's it.

If you buy a house, there is no law that says you must stay in it forever. Equity builds FAST, and you can often make enough on the sale of a home to make a sizeable downpayment on the next one, on and on. I was only in my first house for 5 years, but I did a little work on it and made $20,000....which let me build a place on a good size acreage (including a shooting range). What will you get when you're done renting? $20,000? You'll be lucky to get a $200 deposit back from mr. landlord.

As I said, renting is pissing your money away. In my experience, unless you're renting a total shithole, you can buy a starter home for the same price as any decent apartment rent anyway.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:20:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
 If your young no problem. If your on your way to 30 their is a problem. Maybe not haaving a family, but you better start looking for a house. Rent is the stupidest thing a person could pay their entire life. When your ass retires and have minimum income you will be screwed.

I am almost 30 and live with my girlfriend (who wants a house).  We pay $175 in rent.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:25:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:25:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:31:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am almost 30 and live with my girlfriend (who wants a house).  We pay $175 in rent.

Damn so are you using your guns to get that kinda payment?
 I get the same shit from my parents and friends. I did buy a house to store my guns. I think that it boils down to jealousy because you aren't falling in line with what they did or were forced to do. All of the people telling me that crap have shitty lives. They don't have fun and most are getting ready to be divorced or are recently divorced.

I say..pick me up some ammo while you're out!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Okay, it's time to move out of her/your parent's basement.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:51:51 AM EDT
[#36]
There is always someone that starts out many sentences with "You should ......"

They are very ready to explain to you the 'right' way to do things.

I say you do what you do and I'll do what I do.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:16:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Dr. Phil followin you around too?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:19:58 AM EDT
[#38]
shoot em
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:36:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Look, misery loves company.  That's why they want you to be just like them, miserable.  I heard the same shit when I was younger.  Buying a house is fine, but it is not for everyone.  There are other good investments also.  A house is not necessarily the best investment you can make.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#40]
We've all known someone who would rather buy guns then such minor things such as food. (Heck, I know a guy that sells plasma to buy guns)

As long as you don't fit in that category I don't see a problem with it.  Seriously though, looking at property is a good idea.  I really didn't start getting GOOD gun stuff until the rental property payments started rolling in.

Back when I was poor and single I went the "Rent to own" route with a house in a really crappy part of town. (Think little Beirut) renting it after I moved to a better place and got married.   I later bought 2 more with that income.

I'll probably buy another.

Yep,  I'm a slumlord.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:57:17 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, it's time to move out of her/your parent's basement.

Fuggin A bro......Sheesh.  $175 /mo don't even cover my damn association fees.  

But back to what others are saying....Buy a house.  Seriously.

I purhcased my current home in 2003 for 365K.  Fast fwd to 2006.....just appraised at 585K.  With all the hoopla in Arizona abou the over-heated housing market, they are tending to lowball on appraisals a bit.  House next to me appraised for 540K....sold for a hair under 600K when all was said and done.

Mine is on the market right now.  In fact....I'm waiting on an earnest money.  That extra 200K is buying me some acreage and a house designed and built the way I want it.  Oh....and some NFA toys.  

Sheep
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:59:46 AM EDT
[#42]
I keep hearing people tell me that renting is stupid.  It would have made sense for me to purchase a home many moons ago (I am less than three years away from retirement, and am still renting).

However:
-"many moons ago", I barely had a penny to my name.  Any home that I could have bought, would have been a dump in the bad part of town.

-I move a lot.  About once every five years.

-The previous six years, I've had "decent money".  However, I lived in an outrageously overpriced area (San Diego).  It would require at least half a mil to afford a decent house in a decent area.  Not to mention, finally purchasing a home, then watching the "bubble" burst on the market.

-I witnessed a retired major who lived out of his car, because he invested in a home in the late eighties, then the market took a nose dive.  This event obviously had a profoundly bad impact on his life.  He got by by digging in the garbage containers at McDonalds.

-Last, but not least, if I want to move somewhere, then I move somewhere.  Having a home (with a mortgage) would feel like a big chain around my neck.

Yes, it would be nice to have a house, but it has its own costs as well; not all of them monetary.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:00:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I will give you free advice and take it for what its worth.  There is little more important than owning your own home.  There is time enough for all the guns you want but they won't keep you warm at night or be happy to see you when you get home.  Make your own decisions but you are wasting money on rent when you could be building equity for your future.  As it stands, you are building equity for someone else.  Unless you are buying serious collector pieces you are not building equity.  Why not buy a house in the country where you can shoot your guns?  There, problem solved.

I'd have to agree with what this guy said.  Rent is going to continue to go up but when you lock in a mortgage (assuming a standard 30-year fixed) your payments will remain capped.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:05:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Look, misery loves company.  That's why they want you to be just like them, miserable.  I heard the same shit when I was younger.  Buying a house is fine, but it is not for everyone.  There are other good investments also.  A house is not necessarily the best investment you can make.  

Aint that the truth. Of the few people we do socialize with, they are all miserable, living the "American Dream"; the house, 2 cars, 2.4 kids, massive CC debt, etc. They just want you to be as miserable as they are. They want to drag you down to their level.

As long as the bills are being paid, and you're saving for the future, what the hell, have fun. My wife and I have no kids, paid off house, plenty of toys. We get bugged all the time about when are you having kids. Why screw up the good times?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn so are you using your guns to get that kinda payment?
 I get the same shit from my parents and friends. I did buy a house to store my guns. I think that it boils down to jealousy because you aren't falling in line with what they did or were forced to do. All of the people telling me that crap have shitty lives. They don't have fun and most are getting ready to be divorced or are recently divorced.

Same thing here. ALL of my friends from college, and my family, incl parents, brother, everybody are ALL divorced, divorcing or have left one another, some after 20+ years of marriage and with teenage kids. WTF? ONly one couple in my circle is still together, and that is for the sake of the children. They are all miserable, I'm doing fine. And I'm the guy nobody thought would ever settle down.

Go out and enjoy yourself. No matter how you plan or hope for, there are no guarantees.

I agree on paying off a mortgage rather than rent, though. Living in an apartment sucks as you get older. You just want to be left alone.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:12:33 AM EDT
[#47]
I can understand why it is a good idea to own a home.  However, just about everyone I know who is in my age range who owns a home is so strapped for cash and covered up in debt right now that it isn't even funny.  Why go so far into debt to the point where you can't even afford car repairs?  Everyone I know who is married, owns a house and has children have no life.  They work themselves to the bone come home and have to work there too keeping an eye on kids and having to shell out money for clothes and toys.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:17:47 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I can understand why it is a good idea to own a home.  However, just about everyone I know who is in my age range who owns a home is so strapped for cash and covered up in debt right now that it isn't even funny.  Why go so far into debt to the point where you can't even afford car repairs?  Everyone I know who is married, owns a house and has children have no life.  They work themselves to the bone come home and have to work there too keeping an eye on kids and having to shell out money for clothes and toys.

Your priorities change as you get older, esp. when you have kids. You want the best for them, and you'll do anything to make it happen.

Also, with a house that is paid-off, you could theoretically use it to sell off to pay for your old age costs. Also, once your house is paid off and has been well-maintained, you have a relatively cost-free place to live as you get past working age. You'd be surprised hoiw many old geezers in their 90s still live in their own homes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:18:00 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So just don't have the kids.   Seriously, it can actually be cheaper to own than rent. My wife and I, we were renting for about $750 a month. We got into a place that was reasonably sized (ie, smaller than the bank was willing to loan us for), and paid only $50 more a month. But the tax break was useful; $6k a year interest first year, plus $2k property tax = $8k off our income.  But being less than stupid, we really paid off the mortgage fast; 7 1/2 years later, it was gone. Now we pay $2200 a year in taxes, and that's it aside from misc repairs. We saved $80k in interest by paying it off faster.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:19:08 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
he who dies with the most stuff wins still dies

There fixed it for ya

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top