BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 8:42:04 AM EDT
and why.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#1]
IATP! FIRST VOTE!!

Firefox - more features and addons, more logical operation.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I switched from Firefox to Opera because Firefox is too big and took too long to load.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#3]
firefox works ok as long as you don't leave the browser open all the time.    as long as you close and reopen everyonce in a while your ok.

opera   works really well       the only con:   I find that i have the refresh pages more often with opera.   when you click on a link it goes to a blank white page and just sits there.  when you refresh it loads again.  

JME   (just my experience)

to be honest i have been switching back and forth between the two.   im 50/50  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I would go Opera... Firefox is getting rather bloated.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#5]
beucase I have tried both and like Firefox
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#6]
firefox works for me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I use Firefox because my little bro showed it and I liked its functionality better than IE, which was driving me up the wall.  I've never heard of Opera until this thread, gonna give it a try.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#8]
use firefox 1.0.7, I like it because it is free and has lots of plugins.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#10]
BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED FROM CIVILIAN USE!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1googillion

Internet Explorer is much better than either of those two slapped together, sorry excuses for web browsers.

The only browser I think is as good as if not better than IE is Safari. However, for most of you , that browser would cost at least $1000.00 to get into.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1googillion

Internet Explorer is much better than either of those two slapped together, sorry excuses for web browsers.

You must be joking.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1googillion

You must be joking.

No. Not joking.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I use FF.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1googillion

You must be joking.

No. Not joking.

Oh, well then I shall continue my laughter at your expense. Thank you, sir.

BTW, I use firefox. On Windows and Linux both.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1googillion

You must be joking.

No. Not joking.

Oh, well then I shall continue my laughter at your expense. Thank you, sir.

BTW, I use firefox. On Windows and Linux both.

Look everyone!! It's one of those "cool" guys that uses Linux!! ^^^^^
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1googillion

You must be joking.

No. Not joking.

ok then. On crack?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#18]
You guys can continue to choke yourselves with your own hands if you want.
I really don’t care. You'll be back to IE when you wake up. We both know it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

d00d u r 0n krak.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#20]
For all of you FF lovers:

www.ireallydontcare.com/index.php?page=fun/firefox

Firefox Sucks
Ok, so thats a rather rash statement to be making as the title of a page, but its totally necessary. I need to get the fanboys worked up into a frenzy before we begin.

Prologue...
Before you annoying Firefox, totalitarian military minded fanboys start getting aggravated, please read this paqe and realise where I am coming from. I was using Firefox back in the days before it got its rebranding - you remember Phoenix? Firebird? I used them through and through. It was functional software, nobody else used it and it was cool to be different.

Reasoning...
Thats not why I used it though; It attempted to conform to 'standards', be more responsive and be more secure than the most popular browser, Internet Explorer. Great, it did all of those things and I was happy. Plus - tabbed browsing! Oh, it was wonderful and I was happy during this golden period.

Change...
None of this is the case anymore. Since 1.0, and before some might argue, Firefox has been going downhill. Instead of fine tuning the software that they already had, the hordes of developers working on Firefox are sat there working on adding functionality to the software. Instead of fixing the blatant problems outlined below, they are slowing it down, making it more clunky and spending all their time marketing their product. It’s a real shame, what started off as a wonderful ideal has become just like all the other junk out there.

The problems
There are so many, I don't actually know where to begin, you'll often catch me ranting to witless Firefox fanboys who don't think before opening their mouth and proclaiming how wonderful their 'alternative browser' is. I don't give a rats ass how standards compliant a piece of software is, I don't give a shit if it has tabbed browsing, It’s all old news as far as I'm concerned. I want something that works!.

Firefox is Slow
I recently had to format my computer, which is when I stopped using Firefox. However, as a trial to make sure it wasn't something to do with my config, I installed Firefox on my clean system. It took over 30 seconds to load up and become browsable. I am not running a crap computer here, what the hell is going on?.

Yes, I realise that Internet Explorer is part of windows and therefore can load a lot faster. 30 seconds for a browser that I'll open to do a quick Google search on a topic that I need some quick info on is just obscene. Bear in mind this is with none of these so called "Extensions" installed. You have GOT to be kidding.

Firefox eats memory
I'm a heavy computer user, I am going to be developing software solutions for a living. I'll often have several instances of Visual Studio open, each using 100mb of memory each. That is acceptable, its my main piece of equipment for getting my job done. I have caught Firefox, after several hours of use using over 150mb of ram, with one tab open. This is once again using no Extensions. Don't just come back with your lame riposte of "Have you tried using the latest version?”. That is not the problem. Bad memory management is something that has been an integral part of Firefox since before 1.0, and all the versions up to even 1.5 suffer from this downfall.

What is wrong with you developers? Can you not code? Can you not manage your pointers properly?. This is a huge problem. Once again, I realise that Internet Explorer is bundled with Windows and can therefore hide its memory usage behind the bulk that is my operating system. But 150mb - For fucks sake; You have some incompetent developers in your team.

Ah, you see - here we see why Opera and Internet Explorer beat Firefox hands down. At the end of the day, they have a paying consumer base to cater for. Granted Opera now comes free, but during its main development cycle, it had the challenge of becoming popular, as well as having to charge for its usage somehow. Yet it succeeded. Why? Because its written properly and does its job.

They don't have hundreds of wannabee professional programmers tinkering with its insides and tearing up for no good reason. Past a certain point this becomes completely counter productive - you only have to look at Linux for a good example of this. In the beginning, it was great to have this big work-force, you get so much done. Now there is a complete piece of software, everyone tugs in different directions, all doing what they want to do, and they are just ruining what could easily be one of the best pieces of software out there.

Foaming at the mouth fanboys
Christ, you people are the most annoying type of internet user out there - you're even worse than the "Apple fanboy" or the "Linux Geek". Stop copying and pasting the lists of so called "Advantages" that Firefox brings you. Get a mind of your own and just sit down and think about it for a while. Think about why you are actually using Firefox: Is it actually because its a better browser than the other options? Or is it because you want to appear cool in front of your friends and family and be alternative? Well, I've got news for you. You are not being alternative - Its now uncool to be using Firefox - the real men have either moved on to Opera, or have gone back to Internet Explorer and wonder why they switched in the first place.

Myths
I hand it to you, the Firefox marketing department is comparable to Microsoft's, and you get them to do it for free! Its amazing, you actually manage to fool hordes of people into downloading this pathetic excuse for a browser and they actually use it as their main browsing solution!

Admittedly, the Firefox fanboy is probably one of the more gullable breeds out there, but its still one hell of a coup you've pulled off.

Firefox is more secure
More secure than what exactly? Looking back only 2 versions, Firefox had possibly the best exploit in a piece of software I've ever seen. By composing a malformed url, a malicious person could actually execute shell commands on a users machine. For those not in the know, this basically meant the entire contents of a user's hard disk could effectively be erased with just one click on a link. Pure genius.

Don't get me wrong - Nothing is secure, ever - but lying about your software in this way is only going to get people hurt. Especially as the userbase is constantly growing and the number of people targeting the software is growing in parallel. Its things like these that really annoy me.

Firefox is faster
Wtf? OLOL. Even once Firefox is loaded up, its browsing speed just doesn't compare to Internet Explorer's. Admittedly, IE5 cheated, but IE6 is kosher and is still kicking ass. I like clicking on a url and having the page load instantly. Microsoft have it right - the internet should feel just like another application on your machine, whereas Firefox just keep adding features, making it slower, clunkier and prettier and lying about its speed.

Firefox protects you against spyware and adware
Granted that this should really come under the heading of security, but its such a preposterous lie that it deserved its own heading.

Any browser with the ability to execute javascript, store cookies and other data is vulnerable to adware and spyware with one way or another. Just because you lack the (rather brilliant) functionality of ActiveX doesn't mean you are safe. Stop lulling uneducated people into a false sense of security by spreading these lies. Firefox is just as vulnerable as other browsers in these regards. Hell, you can actually GET ActiveX for Firefox as one of these "Extensions". It then becomes just as 'bad' as IE.

By the way, how many of you fanboys have actually used IE since SP2? Its brilliant - ActiveX by default no longer just "happens". You need to go through several steps to actually install a control. Just like installing a Firefox Extension actually. Its exactly the same - if you are going to allow users to download programs or plugins for their software, its going to be a security risk. It’s totally down to the user though, it’s got nothing to do with the software - all the developers can do is warn them

Stop lying just to get downloads - its only going to kick you in the teeth.

Summary
Don't waste your time with this junk. I have gone back to using Internet Explorer. It’s a much more clean experience. Until the developers behind Firefox get their act together, make it faster, cleaner and pleasant in general to use, its just not worth the hassle of having that crap installed on your machine.

If you really want to be alternative, go and get Opera, you'll not regret it, I've not used it much, but it has all the features that Firefox has, but its coded properly.

If you've gotten here by reading all the above, I congratulate you. I don't write very interesting speeches, but I needed a page to link the fucking annoying fanboys to when they start jumping up and down and repeating themselves like a broken record.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Firefox Sucks
Ok, so thats a rather rash statement to be making as the title of a page, but its totally necessary. I need to get the fanboys worked up into a frenzy before we begin.

Prologue...
Before you annoying Firefox, totalitarian military minded fanboys start getting aggravated, please read this paqe and realise where I am coming from. I was using Firefox back in the days before it got its rebranding - you remember Phoenix? Firebird? I used them through and through. It was functional software, nobody else used it and it was cool to be different.

Reasoning...
Thats not why I used it though; It attempted to conform to 'standards', be more responsive and be more secure than the most popular browser, Internet Explorer. Great, it did all of those things and I was happy. Plus - tabbed browsing! Oh, it was wonderful and I was happy during this golden period.

Change...
None of this is the case anymore. Since 1.0, and before some might argue, Firefox has been going downhill. Instead of fine tuning the software that they already had, the hordes of developers working on Firefox are sat there working on adding functionality to the software. Instead of fixing the blatant problems outlined below, they are slowing it down, making it more clunky and spending all their time marketing their product. It’s a real shame, what started off as a wonderful ideal has become just like all the other junk out there.

The problems
There are so many, I don't actually know where to begin, you'll often catch me ranting to witless Firefox fanboys who don't think before opening their mouth and proclaiming how wonderful their 'alternative browser' is. I don't give a rats ass how standards compliant a piece of software is, I don't give a shit if it has tabbed browsing, It’s all old news as far as I'm concerned. I want something that works!.

Firefox is Slow
I recently had to format my computer, which is when I stopped using Firefox. However, as a trial to make sure it wasn't something to do with my config, I installed Firefox on my clean system. It took over 30 seconds to load up and become browsable. I am not running a crap computer here, what the hell is going on?.

Yes, I realise that Internet Explorer is part of windows and therefore can load a lot faster. 30 seconds for a browser that I'll open to do a quick Google search on a topic that I need some quick info on is just obscene. Bear in mind this is with none of these so called "Extensions" installed. You have GOT to be kidding.

Firefox eats memory
I'm a heavy computer user, I am going to be developing software solutions for a living. I'll often have several instances of Visual Studio open, each using 100mb of memory each. That is acceptable, its my main piece of equipment for getting my job done. I have caught Firefox, after several hours of use using over 150mb of ram, with one tab open. This is once again using no Extensions. Don't just come back with your lame riposte of "Have you tried using the latest version?”. That is not the problem. Bad memory management is something that has been an integral part of Firefox since before 1.0, and all the versions up to even 1.5 suffer from this downfall.

What is wrong with you developers? Can you not code? Can you not manage your pointers properly?. This is a huge problem. Once again, I realise that Internet Explorer is bundled with Windows and can therefore hide its memory usage behind the bulk that is my operating system. But 150mb - For fucks sake; You have some incompetent developers in your team.

Ah, you see - here we see why Opera and Internet Explorer beat Firefox hands down. At the end of the day, they have a paying consumer base to cater for. Granted Opera now comes free, but during its main development cycle, it had the challenge of becoming popular, as well as having to charge for its usage somehow. Yet it succeeded. Why? Because its written properly and does its job.

They don't have hundreds of wannabee professional programmers tinkering with its insides and tearing up for no good reason. Past a certain point this becomes completely counter productive - you only have to look at Linux for a good example of this. In the beginning, it was great to have this big work-force, you get so much done. Now there is a complete piece of software, everyone tugs in different directions, all doing what they want to do, and they are just ruining what could easily be one of the best pieces of software out there.

Foaming at the mouth fanboys
Christ, you people are the most annoying type of internet user out there - you're even worse than the "Apple fanboy" or the "Linux Geek". Stop copying and pasting the lists of so called "Advantages" that Firefox brings you. Get a mind of your own and just sit down and think about it for a while. Think about why you are actually using Firefox: Is it actually because its a better browser than the other options? Or is it because you want to appear cool in front of your friends and family and be alternative? Well, I've got news for you. You are not being alternative - Its now uncool to be using Firefox - the real men have either moved on to Opera, or have gone back to Internet Explorer and wonder why they switched in the first place.

Myths
I hand it to you, the Firefox marketing department is comparable to Microsoft's, and you get them to do it for free! Its amazing, you actually manage to fool hordes of people into downloading this pathetic excuse for a browser and they actually use it as their main browsing solution!

Admittedly, the Firefox fanboy is probably one of the more gullable breeds out there, but its still one hell of a coup you've pulled off.

Firefox is more secure
More secure than what exactly? Looking back only 2 versions, Firefox had possibly the best exploit in a piece of software I've ever seen. By composing a malformed url, a malicious person could actually execute shell commands on a users machine. For those not in the know, this basically meant the entire contents of a user's hard disk could effectively be erased with just one click on a link. Pure genius.

Don't get me wrong - Nothing is secure, ever - but lying about your software in this way is only going to get people hurt. Especially as the userbase is constantly growing and the number of people targeting the software is growing in parallel. Its things like these that really annoy me.

Firefox is faster
Wtf? OLOL. Even once Firefox is loaded up, its browsing speed just doesn't compare to Internet Explorer's. Admittedly, IE5 cheated, but IE6 is kosher and is still kicking ass. I like clicking on a url and having the page load instantly. Microsoft have it right - the internet should feel just like another application on your machine, whereas Firefox just keep adding features, making it slower, clunkier and prettier and lying about its speed.

Firefox protects you against spyware and adware
Granted that this should really come under the heading of security, but its such a preposterous lie that it deserved its own heading.

Any browser with the ability to execute javascript, store cookies and other data is vulnerable to adware and spyware with one way or another. Just because you lack the (rather brilliant) functionality of ActiveX doesn't mean you are safe. Stop lulling uneducated people into a false sense of security by spreading these lies. Firefox is just as vulnerable as other browsers in these regards. Hell, you can actually GET ActiveX for Firefox as one of these "Extensions". It then becomes just as 'bad' as IE.

By the way, how many of you fanboys have actually used IE since SP2? Its brilliant - ActiveX by default no longer just "happens". You need to go through several steps to actually install a control. Just like installing a Firefox Extension actually. Its exactly the same - if you are going to allow users to download programs or plugins for their software, its going to be a security risk. It’s totally down to the user though, it’s got nothing to do with the software - all the developers can do is warn them

Stop lying just to get downloads - its only going to kick you in the teeth.

Summary
Don't waste your time with this junk. I have gone back to using Internet Explorer. It’s a much more clean experience. Until the developers behind Firefox get their act together, make it faster, cleaner and pleasant in general to use, its just not worth the hassle of having that crap installed on your machine.

If you really want to be alternative, go and get Opera, you'll not regret it, I've not used it much, but it has all the features that Firefox has, but its coded properly.

If you've gotten here by reading all the above, I congratulate you. I don't write very interesting speeches, but I needed a page to link the fucking annoying fanboys to when they start jumping up and down and repeating themselves like a broken record.

My firefox opens up and becomes browsable in less than 10 seconds on a system built 4 years ago, which is eons in computer tech time.  It also has not had a clean install in about a year. I also have multiple plugins installed.  I have never had all these memory leak problems that people say firefox has.  I like the interface much better than IE because I have multiple windows open at once (currently 5), among other things.  I don't claim Firefox is God, or that everyone should use it, but you are the first person I've ever heard say that IE is better.  I'm not some tech-head either, I've never used linux, and don't desire to try.  Hell, my parents use firefox, and they are certainly not tech-savvy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You guys can continue to choke yourselves with your own hands if you want.
I really don’t care. You'll be back to IE when you wake up. We both know it.

oh please.

IE is a piece of crap. There was a time when it eclipsed netscape (back when it was the original netscape and its page rendering sucked) but now IE has been eclipsed.

All its 'innovations' are pale immitations of things more advanced web browsers have already done.

And activeX is the most idiotic software decision - even going beyond MS BOB. Hell, at least they had the brains to dump BOB quickly. They keep sticking with activeX even though it's one of the biggest security holes ever.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#24]
What the hell are you talking about?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Firefox, no browser is infallible, but that is life in the big city.

I use MS IE, Firefox, Opera, and Netscrape(actually it is based on Firefox) depending upon circustances.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Safari here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Maxthon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1googillion

The only browser I think is as good as if not better than IE is Safari. However, for most of you , that browser would cost at least $1000.00 to get into.

HAHAHAHAHA

IE is not even W3C compliant

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
-snip
Its now uncool to be using Firefox - the real men have either moved on to Opera, or have gone back to Internet Explorer and wonder why they switched in the first place.
-snip

Someone told Rock7 he would be Cool, and!!  a "REAL Man".. hell I see why he's blathering stupid shit now ;)

I currently have IE5 and 6 - NS4.8, 6, and 8 - Firebird0.7 - Firefox1.51 - Opera7.54, 8, 8.51, and 9 - (as well as Epiphany Lynx and Some rev. of straight up Mozilla in linux) installed for testing purposes.

I use Firefox for my daily use. It loads in under 2 seconds on my machine which is several years old now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Opera. I didn't realise how valuable tabbed browsing was until I used firefox. As soon as opera came out, I realised how it should work. Firefox's issues with various media content and numerous bugs turned me away on both my home and work machine. The slow load times were also bullshit. When youre running an Athlon X2 3800 w/ 2gb of ram, your web browser should load FAST. Opera, while lagging behind IE slightly, still opens within 2 seconds (max) on even my work machine (p4 2.4).

If Opera is flipping out and wont open a website (happens sometimes on sites using alot of scripting), then I copy the address and use IE. Since I'm not using IE constantly, my amount of spyware has gone down to the point I no longer feel compelled to surf the web inside a Windows virtual PC session or on a seperate desktop then my gaming machine all together.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Firefox got to the point where things wouldn't load, so I switched to Opera.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1googillion

whoa what kind of crack were you smoking
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I've never had most of the problems people are complaing about, firefox works very well for me, IE sucks ass. I'm scared to use it because it sucks so much. The same goes for windows in terms of sucking.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#34]
FF
I had opera for a while but it started losing bookmarks for no reason
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I use both
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Opera here
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#39]
i use lynx..

no matter how you try to rationalize it, GUI's are still for women and pansies.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
i use lynx..

no matter how you try to rationalize it, GUI's are still for women and pansies.

No, they're just rejected by common folks who aspire to be eletist.

Opera here.

FF is pretty tempting sometimes.
A friend was showing me some of the stuff he's got for plugins.
The ads don't load in his web pages, and a bunch of other cool stuff.
Kinda neat that it's mod-able.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Maxthon

I wont touch FireFox ever again....

Never messed with Opera though
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-snip
Its now uncool to be using Firefox - the real men have either moved on to Opera, or have gone back to Internet Explorer and wonder why they switched in the first place.
-snip

Someone told Rock7 he would be Cool, and!!  a "REAL Man".. hell I see why he's blathering stupid shit now ;)

I currently have IE5 and 6 - NS4.8, 6, and 8 - Firebird0.7 - Firefox1.51 - Opera7.54, 8, 8.51, and 9 - (as well as Epiphany Lynx and Some rev. of straight up Mozilla in linux) installed for testing purposes.

I use Firefox for my daily use. It loads in under 2 seconds on my machine which is several years old now.

Your missing the best one!!  Mr. "testing purposes".

IE 7

Get a clue.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:03:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

IE 7

Get a clue.

Sure, I'm going to believe a site @ M$ that touts IE7.

Does it do activeX by default?  Junk then.

And it's still not W3C compliant.

Q: How many M$ programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None.  They declare 'dark' a new standard.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:17:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
-snip
-snip

IE 7

Get a clue.

Best? As in IE6 with a few GUI enhancements?

I have no interest in their GUI enhancements, and I have no need to test what I know is broken.
They are into the second beta now and they haven't even touched the numerous rendering bugs.
The PM (iirc) has said as much.

Not to mention the Beta only works on XP(sp2) and as far as I have read so far, IE7 won't be released for previous MS OSs. Whenever they have a release candidate I'll likely install XP on an isolated test system, but I have no use for it other than that.

I think maybe you should do a little research before you lay your fingers to keyboard on this matter.
I've kept up with all the top browser itterations strenghts and weakness' for about eight years.
I seriously doubt you could come up with anything that I haven't looked into in depth.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
-snip
-snip

IE 7

Get a clue.

that coming from the most clueless person on this thread...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Firefox Sucks

OK, I did read the whole thing. It has a few good points, but I did notice (when I went to the linked site) that he's also running MSN Messenger. That could be partially to blame for his slowness.

One reason I switched tp Firefox was that I had been using the "free" MSN browser that came with my (at the time) Verizon DSL service. It seemed to run slower and slower all the time, and I had a serious problem with images not loading right or "smearing" on the page. I knew it wasn't my 'puter because it would only happen when I was online, noticeably so at Arfcom. I tried Firefox and it made a HUGE difference. I subsequently deep-sixed anything remotely associated with MSN or Messenger. The MSN browser was a real resource hog.

The one thing I agree with is that if I leave the Firefox browser open for any length of time, it starts to slow down. Sometimes it is to the point where I have to restart my computer and it'll be alright. Another thing that will screw it up will be a large picture thread at Arfcom. It may be a RAM issue, because after a while the pages will start to load slower and it seems to be accessing the hard drive to change pages. A restart will fix this.

I do use IE when I find a page that FF won't load. I don't see that as a real problem, though. I like most of the FF features, and I don't see the need to switch at this point.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I just started trying out Firefox; previously I used Safari. .  Seems fast enough.  Firefox is working in some areas where Safari does not.  Safari ignores or does not see certain fields on a brokerage website, for example, while Firefox works fine.  Firefox actaully seems noticeably quicker than Safari, and a leap beyond IE (though it must be said the IE versions available for MAC are limited, don't care).  That's it for now but, as I said, I'm just started playing with it.  One annoyance is the way the "disk drive" icon stays on my desktop.  Usually, after loaading and installing something, I can trash the drive, the application itself is in my application folder, and an alias is on my dock for convenience.  The drive annoys me as I like to keep a clean desktop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top