Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 1:49:41 PM EDT
If you go over to a friend's house or a relative's house do you ever take your dog with you?

When you do, if the person also has a pet does your dog go and eat some of the other pet's food?

My kid brother brought his Shi Tzu over for a little bit this afternoon. After about a minute the Shi Tzu headed over to my dog's bowl and started helping herself. My dog let her have a few bites and then she muzzled in and started eating too.

It's not that I mind, it's just something that I've noticed. Whenever I take my dog someplace where the owner has a pet my dog heads straight for the food dish (used to eat my aunt's cat's food everytime we went there) and I've noticed that visiting dogs do the same. Is there any kind of "social" reasoning for this or is it just because dogs eat anything they come across?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I take my dog with me, but he stays outside and pisses on their tires then humps on the cat.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Our dog goes with us wherever he's invited ... we have some friends that love our big dopey Lab, and even let him swim in their pool in the summer ... And we have other friends (mostly the whiners with little babies) that don't want him around, he stays home then, and we don't visit as long.

I have seen dogs sample other dogs food, but my dog ALWAYS eats is entire meal in one sitting so there's never extra food lying around. My dog has done it tooo at other people's house, I don't know why, I suppose they're just like "Hey cool new house! Hey cool free food!!!"
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]
My dog stays home unless we go camping or fishing. He likes our cats but he is aggresive to other animals.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I love dogs but don't own one, most of my friends do.

When my friends come over to visit they know that all dogs are welcome in my home anytime - some
will bring their dogs others consider it an imposition and won't.

If I owned a dog I probably wouldn't take it to someone elses home unless I was invited to do so.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Always, but I don't let her eat out of another dogs bowel. I don't visit where she's not welcomed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I take my dog wherever she's welcome, but I always ask.

She always looks at the bowl, and I always tell her "no" I make sure she's fed before we leave the house.

No way to keep her from begging in "grandmas" kitchen though, it's hopeless, but she's polite about it.

My dog won over my wife, she came along on our first date.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top