Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#2]
S&W 76
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
www.horror-wood.com/mathes15.jpg

what make and model is it?

IIRC it's a Smith & Wesson 76.  Sort of a copy of the Swedish "K" M45 smg.  

<eta>  damn, too slow.

<eta> The main obvious differences between the S&W 76 vs the Swedish "K" M45 are:
stock folds to the right on the M45, to the left on the S&W 76
grip is wood on the M45, plastic on m76
sight position.  M45 has the front at the end of the barrel jacket & the rear midway on the receiver tube.  The S&W has the rear sight at the back of the receiver above the grip & the front is at the front of the receiver tube with a bare barrel jacket.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
.  Sort of a copy of the Swedish "K" smg.  

Friend of mine in Sweden owned two of those things - super-simple, yet awesome !!!  

The Hovea SMG we had in the Danish army was a slightly updated version of the Swedish M45B.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Smith and Wesson Model 76
A sweet little SMG.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Never knew S&W made a tec-9...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If the SW76 is similar in size to the Swedish M45B, it is bigger than it appears in that picture.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Ahhh, the S&W 76....the first full-auto I ever fired. The trigger pull is ridiculously heavy, there's not much of a good place to put your supporting hand (gripping by the mag can lead to a jam), and it's just a bit ugly, but it will always have a special place in my heart
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Friend of mine in Sweden owned two of those things - super-simple, yet awesome !!!  

The Hovea SMG we had in the Danish army was a slightly updated version of the Swedish M45B.

From what I've read the main reason S&W developed the M76 was Sweden wouldn't sell any more M45 burpguns to the USA .mil/.gov because of our involvement in VN (citing their neutrality & all that).  

<not having actually held/fired one> I've always thought the Danish Madsen burpuns (M50 & M53) were just too cool.  Grip safety, clamshell design, mag loader stored in side the grip....and they just look badass.  
The Swedish K is kinda ugly style wise IMHO.  Not Sten ugly but not far from it.  And the S&W 76 is like an ugly M45.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I've read the main reason S&W developed the M76 was Sweden wouldn't sell any more M45 burpguns to the USA .mil/.gov because of our involvement in VN (citing their neutrality & all that).  

<not having actually held/fired one> I've always thought the Danish Madsen burpuns (M50 & M53) were just too cool.  Grip safety, clamshell design, mag loader stored in side the grip....and they just look badass.  
The Swedish K is kinda ugly style wise IMHO.  Not Sten ugly but not far from it.  And the S&W 76 is like an ugly M45.

I have also NEVER held (or even seen in person) a Madsen SMG.  The clamshell design is kind of neat.

I always thought that it was really odd that there was a Danish SMG design, yet the army used a Swedish model .  I guess we purchased a whole bunch of them in 1949, which was right before the Madsen came available.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Is that the Omega man movie?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have also NEVER held (or even seen in person) a Madsen SMG.  The clamshell design is kind of neat.

I always thought that it was really odd that there was a Danish SMG design, yet the army used a Swedish model .  I guess we purchased a whole bunch of them in 1949, which was right before the Madsen came available.

The main places I've seen the Madsen burpguns used is movies.  Lots of them used in the old Dean Martin Matt Helm & the James Coburn Derik Flint secret agent movies of the '60s.  
Also used as the basis of the subguns used in the various Planet Of The Apes movies (in funky fiberglass dress up)

IIRC the villian in the first Dirty Harry movie used either a S&W76 or a Swedish K.
Also featured in "Hot Stuff" (Dom Deluise, Jerry Reed).  Again, not sure if they were S&W or M45 smgs (it's been ~20yrs since I've seen it).
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Is that the gun Pacino used in HEAT?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#14]
How did Chuck get Als gun?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The main places I've seen the Madsen burpguns used is movies.  Lots of them used in the old Dean Martin Matt Helm & the James Coburn Derik Flint secret agent movies of the '60s.  
Also used as the basis of the subguns used in the various Planet Of The Apes movies (in funky fiberglass dress up)

www.sksboards.com/sksinfo/apesgun.jpg

IIRC the villian in the first Dirty Harry movie used either a S&W76 or a Swedish K.
Also featured in "Hot Stuff" (Dom Deluise, Jerry Reed).  Again, not sure if they were S&W or M45 smgs (it's been ~20yrs since I've seen it).

Cool.

I also remember reading somewhere that a south american county ordered a bunch of Madsens - perhaps Brazil.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#16]
heh, "omega man", the first cool zombie movie documentary!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the SW76 is similar in size to the Swedish M45B, it is bigger than it appears in that picture.

it just looks small because charlton heston is so damn huge.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.sksboards.com/sksinfo/apesgun.jpg

Cool.

I also remember reading somewhere that a south american county ordered a bunch of Madsens - perhaps Brazil.

I think so.  One of the gangsters had one in the Brazillian movie City of God.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:28:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Solent Green or Vamp show?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Smith and Wesson Model 76.

From the Omega Man movie.  A classic!  He pulls up in a car after spotting a "Zombie" in an upstairs room.  He dumps a mag, trying to get the guy!.................Kick-ass!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top