Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 3:35:38 PM EDT
Getting a new gun safe-  considering a Sentry, can get an electronic one for a very good price.   My concern is, if the electronics go, how do you get the safe open?  Is there a back up key or something?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If you put a back-up key lock on it why bother with the electronic lock?  If you put a never fail battery on it you don't need a back-up key.

What's that you say, there's never been a battery made an owner can't cause to fail?  That is a paradox.

I keep my back-up keys for the electronic bedroom safe in the big garage safe.  If they can get them out of that one, it doesn't matter anymore.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one and it is very simple.  The keypad is battery-operated.  To get the batteries in, you have to slide the keypad faceplate up and off the mount which reveals the battery compartment.  The keypad will still be attached with some wires.  You then can pop the battery compartment out which reveals a keyhole for one of 2 keys that come with the safe.  I keep these keys in a safe deposit box because I don't want them in the same house as the safe.  The whole lock area is very reinforced to prevent drilling.

the keypad also has a low battery warning light that lets you know when to change them, but the batteries last for a few years before you have to worry about this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top