Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 2:20:16 PM EDT
I already spent 5 years active. Ive been out for about 5 years too. I miss the Marines greatly. Although I cant justify leaving my high paying job to go active duty. The only reserve units out by my house are support units like bulk fuel. The only units I would consider are out in California in San Diego or Riverside, and those are reserve tank units. I wasnt a electornics tech in the MArines the first go around. Anyone out there know if I can make such a communte for the reserves and if they will take me to a combat unit?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to contact a prior service recruiter, more than likely you will have to be brought back into the system because of having "gone off contract."  

They will have to look at your RE code to ensure it is good, if you have tattoos get them waived, get a physical and potentially get you a RQSN if you are not going into your MOS.  Some MOS allow OJT if you have a previous MOS, but some require you go to the school.

Not sure which units you are looking at, but there are only like 2 Battalion sized units in Marine Forces Reserves who have not deployed and as it stands now everyone is in a rotation cycle for the foreseeable future.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You need to contact a prior service recruiter, more than likely you will have to be brought back into the system because of having "gone off contract."  

They will have to look at your RE code to ensure it is good, if you have tattoos get them waived, get a physical and potentially get you a RQSN if you are not going into your MOS.  Some MOS allow OJT if you have a previous MOS, but some require you go to the school.

Not sure which units you are looking at, but there are only like 2 Battalion sized units in Marine Forces Reserves who have not deployed and as it stands now everyone is in a rotation cycle for the foreseeable future.  

I applied for Marine OCS abotu a year ago but was not accepted ( I cant run fast) My re-entry code is good. I dont know anything about their MOS school or if they can OJT me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I already spent 5 years active. Ive been out for about 5 years too. I miss the Marines greatly. Although I cant justify leaving my high paying job to go active duty. The only reserve units out by my house are support units like bulk fuel. The only units I would consider are out in California in San Diego or Riverside, and those are reserve tank units. I wasnt a electornics tech in the MArines the first go around. Anyone out there know if I can make such a communte for the reserves and if they will take me to a combat unit?

You better think long and hard about that if your employer isn't willing to make up your pay.  Because although my crystal ball isn't that great it doesn't need too much clarity to foresee recall and deployments for just about any reservist and especially Marine reservists in the future.  

When I was in a Navy unit in San Diego we had a lady whose husband was a Marine Reservist and they commuted together from Phoenix when able to San Diego, worked out about 5 times a year.  We also had a guy who commuted from Bakersfield to San Diego.  So it can be done.

The killer reserve career wise if you are really thinking that way is when you get a CO who thinks his cadre should get together for planning  one or more evenings a month.  I've seen a lot of those, and they tend to shit on guys who can't do it.  Not fair but then again who said the world was fair.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You better think long and hard about that if your employer isn't willing to make up your pay.  Because although my crystal ball isn't that great it doesn't need too much clarity to foresee recall and deployments for just about any reservist and especially Marine reservists in the future.  

When I was in a Navy unit in San Diego we had a lady whose husband was a Marine Reservist and they commuted together from Phoenix when able to San Diego, worked out about 5 times a year.  We also had a guy who commuted from Bakersfield to San Diego.  So it can be done.

The killer reserve career wise if you are really thinking that way is when you get a CO who thinks his cadre should get together for planning  one or more evenings a month.  I've seen a lot of those, and they tend to shit on guys who can't do it.  Not fair but then again who said the world was fair.

Well all my in-laws are in San Diego and I already almost go out their once a month. Its about 6 hours from my house to Camp Pendleton. As far as my employeer goes, Well they will make up pay. I work for the largest micro-processor company in the world. It doesnt look to good on them if they dont work with those in the reserves. I know several reservists in other branches that have no problem with the pay.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
sign up at military.com for the no cost forums, lots of recruiters there and forums for all branches and reserves, ect.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:44:34 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are young enough and can do it, by all means...I regret not staying in because I would have retired 30+ years ago and still been a young man with a pension...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:52:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd do it.

Max
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:35:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't believe that you'd forgo joining up again as a reserve-stint because you don't want to leave a high-paying job. I know, I know-they have to bring you back at a comparable pay and position, but what if you get "laid off"? Do you really think that you won't do time in the sand-box?

Either you like your job or you don't... If it was just a money thing, you wouldn't be looking at the service again. Do a gut check and and ask yourself what that job really means to you... Do they take care of you? Would it bother you to know that you would be leaving them on the hook knowing that you will likely be called up to active duty?

Sounds like maybe a reserves gig isn't what you want..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top