Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 5:32:57 AM EDT
What do people use to keep their boots in good shape?  I use Bicks 4 on my good cowboy boots and Red Wing Boot Oil and/or Cadillac Mink Oil on my work boots.  

The Bicks is great stuff but a little pricey to use on all my boots.

Any other good stuff out there?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Lexol.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Saddle soap. mink oil, or Kiwi shoe polish.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the stuff made by the manufacturer.  In my case, Danner boot cleaner, conditioner and polish.  That way I know the stuff won't harm my boots.  

I'm not saying that you should always use the polish made by the manufacturer; only that it's a safe way to clean/polish your boots.  Before using any polish/cleaner on your boots, try a little bit of it on an area that's not very prominent, so you don't accidentally damage your boots in the event the polish/cleaner is not compatible with your boot leather.  It's happened before.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I avoid oils as they can oversoften leather, and in some cases cause damage.

Lexol is good, as are the products by Obenaufs.  The Obenauf's LP (Leather Preservative) wax makes the leather a bit goopy though.
Sno-Proof (not sno-seal) by Fiebing is also a very good product. Not as heavy duty waterproofing as the Obenaufs LP, but doesn't make the leather sticky either.

For waterproofing, I usuall just use the silicone Camp Dry, or for more money Tectron Boot and Shoe Protector a polymer based product.  Both are sprays but seem to work better than anything else for waterproofing boots.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice - I'll try Lexol next.  Mink oil is losing it's appeal due to the stickiness, long dry time and odor.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top