Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 8:57:57 PM EDT
So this year I'm just going to let someone else do my taxes and H&R is the closest place to me. First is it worth going to them and letting them handle it or is it a waste of money. Second how do they charge you is it a flat fee or do they take a percentage of your refund as well?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Its a fee based on the type of form they have to fill out (EZ, A, regular 1040), deductions, etc etc.  Mine was a 1040 with lots of deductions, so it was $199.  But I also got $2000 back too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Their Tax Cut/e-filing is free if you make less than $50k.  And it's definitely worth using if your taxes start getting complicated.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I sold some stock for 3 years (2002/2003/2004).  I used H&R Block for my taxes.  The guy saved me some money.  

This year, I was out on Workman's Comp for four months.  He got me more money back.    

Next year, I should be able to do my own taxes again.  Unless, I have something come up this year.    

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Those people are retards.

Get a copy of Turbo Tax. I just finished my return and I'm getting a bundle back.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]
My GF worked for H&R block.  They use Turbo Tax.  If you wanted the same return, you could use Turbo Tax too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
heh, i work for a LARGE accounting firm here in CA(in the IT department) and im till goin to h&R block...   only for that damned adavnce loan thingy tho.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#7]
*shakes head*
I read the thread title H&R Block, and thought the following:
Harrington and Richardson (HR firearms) were offering a mag block now?
Weird...I thought their game was Fudd type shotguns, not EBRs.

Looks like I need some sleep!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I used a tax accountant for a few years, until he passed on. He absolutely had nothing nice to say about H&R Block. But since each office is locally owned maybe it's just our local office people he hated.

But one of his points is still valid. He studied tax law all year long, so how was the part time people H&R Block hire during tax season suppost to know and keep up with the changes? Plus he accused them of ripping off the Mexicans who couldn't read English so well, by erring on the overpayment side to decrease the odds of the IRS coming back on them (H&RB) for penalties.

I really liked the old guy. Retired Marine and he hated the IRS. Almost as much as he hated the local H&R Block. I knew I was getting every penny back I was entitled to. And once he even hinted I could maybe get more back. I declined. I had ex-wife and attorney problems, I sure didn't need the IRS on my ass too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#9]
H&R Block is a known anti-gun organization.

Do not support our enemy.

Linky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top