Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 5:57:07 PM EDT
www.imz-ural.com

Has anyone here had any experience with these bikes?

One of my uncles has one now but I haven't seen it yet.

the site says they are as tough as a Kalashnikov
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Needs a PKM mounted on the sidecar.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
They are BMW copies, what is not to like ?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Needs a PKM mounted on the sidecar.

Well I just found this...

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

They are copies of a 1938 BMW.  I drove one with a driven side car several years ago and still think over buying one occasionally.

They are really slow, the carbs hit your lower leg, and all the plastic on the switches and so on was real cheap.

I think they are a hobby for someone that wants to tinker as much as ride.  The price has risen dramatically; I guess everyone has to judge for himself about that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, I think they are DKW or Zundapp copies - if that is still what they are making.

ETA - perhaps I am thinking of the Chinese bikes?

G
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are copies of a 1938 BMW.  I drove one with a driven side car several years ago and still think over buying one occasionally.

They are really slow, the carbs hit your lower leg, and all the plastic on the switches and so on was real cheap.

I think they are a hobby for someone that wants to tinker as much as ride.  The price has risen dramatically; I guess everyone has to judge for himself about that.

Look at what they make ?
They aren't crotch  rockets, so slow is no big deal.
And 1938 ? They don't make them like that anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#7]
A family member recently bought a Ural and I rode it a bit. I was a longtime BMW 750cc boxer/airhead rider, so it was familiar to me.

New units are US-assembled, have Mikuni carbs and Brembo brakes, big improvement.

Rode a Chicom ("Chiang Jiang" - it's 'Chong Jong') once, too.  That's the 1938 R/71 copy; the Urals and IMZ bikes were actually reverse engineered.  

It's a 50mph bike, with a sidehack, but great fun.  

I agree - needs a PKM or RPD!  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Was talking to the rep at last years motorcycle show. After some prodding he admitted that he takes a LARGE toolkit and a car battery in the sidecar on every ride. Seems the electrical system and some other choice components are not up to snuff..
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
has a customer buy one with a side car , he spun a bearing but its a simple enough machine the local bike shop fixed it  has not had any other problems although the 1 was a big one
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Was talking to the rep at last years motorcycle show. After some prodding he admitted that he takes a LARGE toolkit and a car battery in the sidecar on every ride. Seems the electrical system and some other choice components are not up to snuff..

The Russians use Lucas electric components?????  Lucasonov?

Either the Tourist or Gear Up (sidecar) would be my choice.  Too bad the gear Up is camo rather than plain OD.  Paint a big red star on the side & add a PKM/RPD/DP28

The solo Wolf model is interesting also.  

I like the fact they have a kickstarter.  Electric start only is a bunch of BS considering what wimpy batteries bikes have.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Russians use Lucas electric components?????  Lucasonov?

Either the Tourist or Gear Up (sidecar) would be my choice.  Too bad the gear Up is camo rather than plain OD.  Paint a big red star on the side & add a PKM/RPD/DP28

The solo Wolf model is interesting also.  

I like the fact they have a kickstarter.  Electric start only is a bunch of BS considering what wimpy batteries bikes have.  

The OD bikes had a red star when they were first imorted.

The Chinese have built copies of the BMW, DKW, and Zundapp bikes - they are equal opportunity plagariasts.  I think the Chinese versions were all versions of the Russian copies, not necessarily the originals; you know, add a little more Commie spin to the design.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top