Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 9:53:33 AM EDT
Just got off the phone with two businesses where I did not place orders for a total of over $500.  Both charges are still pending and I only have $37 in my account

Within the last week, the only places I've used the card is on overstock.com and Papa Johns.  The card has never been out of my sight.  Either the kid at Papa Johns decided he wanted some new sandles, or someone got it off of the overstock.com website.  On top of this I've got a biochemistry 2 exam tomorrow that has got me very nervous.  What a great sunday.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The kid at Papa John's is the likely culprit. All he has to do is read the receipt.

Have you contacted your bank? If so, what do they say?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#2]
is this tied to your regular account, or do you have an account just for your debit card?

You should never have a debit card for your main accounts. Instead, set up an account at the same bank that you keep empty except for a few bucks. Then,when you want to use your debit card, go online and transfer funds over.

They can't steal money from an account that's empty.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Not to give you any ideas or anything,but theives suck and IMHO should be made to feel pain to the point of insanity for days on end untill they expire
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Already did.  They said it was a good thing that I caught it while it was pending, and that I need to take it up with the companies themselves.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
is this tied to your regular account, or do you have an account just for your debit card?

You should never have a debit card for your main accounts. Instead, set up an account at the same bank that you keep empty except for a few bucks. Then,when you want to use your debit card, go online and transfer funds over.

It's my only account.  I use it for all my bills and food.  Poor ass college student here.  

ETA: That's not a bad idea though.  I figure I'll call the bank again and have them cancel the card.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That's a good idea.

Also, some credit cards allow the user to create a temporary number good for one transaction. This is great for online purchases. I wonder if any banks provide the same functionality on a debit card?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Already did.  They said it was a good thing that I caught it while it was pending, and that I need to take it up with the companies themselves.  

So does that mean they're going to let the pending charges go through and it's up to you to stop them?

If so that sounds like a bad bank.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you use it as a debit or credit card?

As I understand it if you use it as a credit card you have more protections.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Already did. They said it was a good thing that I caught it while it was pending, and that I need to take it up with the companies themselves.

Wait, let me get this straight, you reported fraudulent charges on your card to the bank that issued the card and it's your problem? Sounds like time for a new bank.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take it up with the companies themselves? What does that mean? I know it's a debit card and all, but disputing a credit transaction is easy. The merchant gets dick until the issue is resolved.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's my only account.  I use it for all my bills and food.  Poor ass college student here.  

Then you need to get another one. There are banks that offer no minimum balance checking that want your business. Get two accounts: Regular checking with no debit card (refused if offered) and regular checking (without checks) and a debit card. Make sure you can access both and transfer funds online.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So does that mean they're going to let the pending charges go through and it's up to you to stop them?

Pretty much.  They said they can't do anything until the charges have been posted.  If they post, then I can fill out a form to cancel the charges.  All of the money and any extra charges will be refunded into my account.  This is Bank of America.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Already did. They said it was a good thing that I caught it while it was pending, and that I need to take it up with the companies themselves.

Wait, let me get this straight, you reported fraudulent charges on your card to the bank that issued the card and it's your problem? Sounds like time for a new bank.

+1. What if the merchant says "Nope, it's a valid charge"? Then what?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much.  They said they can't do anything until the charges have been posted.  If they post, then I can fill out a form to cancel the charges.  All of the money and any extra charges will be refunded into my account.  This is Bank of America.  

That's all I needed to hear. Find a new bank. I could write a book detailing the ways in which BofA has screwed me and others.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, that sounds crappy.

Find some regional bank in your area. Something with several locations that maybe covers maybe a few states or even several parts of your state. You'll get better customer service there and they'll do more to get and keep your business.

Every larger bank I've dealt with has pretty much sucked.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wow, that sounds crappy.

Find some regional bank in your area. Something with several locations that maybe covers maybe a few states or even several parts of your state. You'll get better customer service there and they'll do more to get and keep your business.

I might try that.  The reason I have Bank of America is because there are banks in my hometown, TN, and where I go to college, SC.  As far as I know, there is not another bank that is covered in both areas.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
...This is Bank of America.  

msnbc.msn.com/id/4264051/

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/25/tech/main676662.shtml

BoA has been hacked & lost customer data more times than any other banking system i've ever heard of.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's time I find a new bank.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Did you use it as a debit or credit card?

As I understand it if you use it as a credit card you have more protections.

Whatever way you use it, it is protected the same as a credit card.  The problem though, is if it is tied to a checking account with checks that haven't cleared yet, those checks will bounce depending on how much was stolen, as well as low or negative balance fees the are accrued as a result.  So, while your account funds are protected, the fees that result from the fraud are not necessarily.

Call the Papa John's franchise manager or owner and tell him your story, and see if there have been problems from this kid in the past.  Maybe this kid needs a physical lesson in bank fraud prevention.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's time I find a new bank.

call around. If you're in a college town you probably have several banks that offer no minimum balance checking and may even give you a free gift (like dvd's, gift cards, etc) for opening an account.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
call around. If you're in a college town you probably have several banks that offer no minimum balance checking and may even give you a free gift (like dvd's, gift cards, etc) for opening an account.

Wachovia offers free checking, but it's no in my home town.  I'll probably switch anyways, as I'm rarely in TN anymore.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#22]
as other people have mentoined, it might not be the Papa Johns.  BofA has had their security compromised several times and thieves have gotten away with a lot of personal data.  
Also it's possible that they simply guessed a valid account number.  There is a formula that the companies follow when they issue those digits on a card, it's possible to find out the formula and guess valid account numbers.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Regions is a good southern Bank.  I am going to go to work for one of their subsidiaries soon.  Wells Fargo has been great to me as well.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Will check Regions out, they have banks in both of my areas.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't debit cards require a password to be used?

Everytime I use mine (grocery store), I'm prompted for a password to complete the sale.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Everytime I use mine (grocery store), I'm prompted for a password to complete the sale.

Usually they do, but some places you don't have to.  Like with Papa Johns you don't, and Burger King.  I guess any fast food place you don't have too.

Jut got off of the phone with Papa Johns, the manager said it would be almost impossible for an employee to get the number once it was in the computer.  

Whenever the charges are cleared, I'm canceling this checking account and opening one up at a different bank.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I think it varies. My debit card can be inputted by the vendor either as a credit or a debit card. If they know it's a debit card, they'll ask for a PIN, if they think it's a credit card (which most of them do, they just see the plastic and swipe) then all it needs is a signature.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#28]

One of the many reasons I'll never have another debit card. BTDT, back when they first came out. (long time ago)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Someone I know in the banking industry just told me about a newsletter that came our recently.  So, this is secondhand information and may be a rumor, but apparently this newsletter detailed how BofA sent out a mailing to customers, and printed each customer's SS# right on it with their name and address.  

99% of this type of fraud is due to online retailers getting hacked, rather than being failures on the bank side.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Whatever way you use it, it is protected the same as a credit card.

No it's not.  Read the law.

Poor CABG has a nearly empty account and now has to fight the bank to get his money back.  If he had a real credit card, he would still have his money.z
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

They'll generally ask you "Debit or Credit", just select Credit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Since you mentioned Overstock.com.  I had an incident with them about someone buying stuff with my account.  I wouldn't be suprised it if was from there.  Luckily I caught it in time before it shipped.  I will never buy from them again.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Jut got off of the phone with Papa Johns, the manager said it would be almost impossible for an employee to get the number once it was in the computer.  

Yeah because writing the number down on a piece of paper while you enter it into the computer is too hard for the normal pizza worker to do over the phone.

I hope you are able to find and hang the bastard.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow, that sounds crappy.

I might try that.  The reason I have Bank of America is because there are banks in my hometown, TN, and where I go to college, SC.  As far as I know, there is not another bank that is covered in both areas.

Granted they have an anti-gun stance (what bank doesn't nowadays), but you might want to check out BB&T.  The one plus I see with them over any other bank is that they have come out and said that they will not do buisness with developers who grab land using eminent domain.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yeah because writing the number down on a piece of paper while you enter it into the computer is too hard for the normal pizza worker to do over the phone.

First thing that came to my mind.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#36]
You have to close that account, transfer any valid payments over to the new account

You have to go to the Police Station to swear out some sort of theft report

You have to go back to the bank, give them that info to have their dispute process start

THEN they will take care of the fake charges and attempt to prosecute the "evildoers"

With a credit card you would just have to call them and say "I didn't make those charges"
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The POS Terminal at my grocery store just seems to know that it's a debit card and prompts for a password.  The grocery store is the only place that I use a debit card.  It's an old habit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Something similar happened to me recently.

I got a call from Office Depot about a computer I had supposedly ordered.  They were calling to verify the payment because they red-flagged it as suspicious.  It would have been a $1500 charge on my VISA debit card.

Cards like this can be used with signatures or PIN numbers, depending on whether they're acting like credit cards or atm cards.

I'm pretty grateful to Office Depot for how they handled it.  Needless to say, I cancelled the card immediately.

Here's the disturbing thing: I suspect the card # was compromised by one of the ARFCOM vendors, as that was the only place that I'd used it for a long time.  This is a vendor that many of us think highly of but a lot of these guys outsource their e-commerce systems so through no fault of his own my info could have been compromised.

I shred all my documents before they go in the trash.  That helps.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: That's not a bad idea though.  I figure I'll call the bank again and have them cancel the card.

I was going to suggest this, to avoid FUTURE problems.

I THINK I heard something about credit/debit card #'s roblems w/Overstock, but it was a while ago.... :/

Thye bank SHOULD be able to make those funds available to YOU at least for a WHILE as the problems are resolved.

Sorry, and I know Biochems a bitch. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First thing that came to my mind.

there are many people in this world (i'm not one of them) who could memorize it by just looking at it & repeating it in their heads.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The POS Terminal at my grocery store just seems to know that it's a debit card and prompts for a password.  The grocery store is the only place that I use a debit card.  It's an old habit.

If after you swipe the card, you select "cancel", you can then select "credit", and it goes through like a CC w/ no PIN required.(at least everywhere I've used mine.)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Compromised debit card = stealing from Y-O-U
Compromised credit card = stealing from credit card company

Guess which one I have.  I'll never use a debit card.  I can e-pay my CC online from my bank if I wish to save the price of a stamp.  It's not a problem.

Since you're a college student, I recommed either using cash or tracking your purchases and not overspending.  Only use the credit card for big purchases, if you have any.  The other expenses can be done with cash.  If you don't have the cash, you don't buy the stuff.  It's that simple

Sorry about your problems.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
If after you swipe the card, you select "cancel", you can then select "credit", and it goes through like a CC w/ no PIN required.(at least everywhere I've used mine.)

AFAIK, my debit card doen't have a credit account associated with it.  It's really just an ATM card.

(I actually have a 'real' credit card with this same financial institution on a separate slab of plastic.)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Here's some good reading. LINK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top