User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 12:10:13 AM EDT
Disturbing the peace?

Man to face charges for printing Koran on toilet paper
Associated Press
Feb. 10, 2006 07:10 AM
www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0210QuranTP10-ON.html
BERLIN - A German businessman who printed the name of the Koran on toilet paper and offered the rolls for sale to mosques and media will face trial for disturbing the peace.

The man, identified only as Manfred van H., is scheduled to go on trial Feb. 23 at a court in Luedinghausen in western Germany, Jochen Dyhr, a spokesman for judicial authorities in nearby Muenster, said Thursday.

The businessman last summer printed sheets of toilet paper with the sentence "Koran, the Holy Qur'aen" and sent them to about 15 mosques, television stations and magazines.

In an accompanying letter, authorities say, he asserted that Islam's holy book is a "cookbook for terrorists" that calls for acts of violence.

He proposed that a "memorial to all victims of Islamic terror" be set up, financed by sales of the toilet paper - an offer that prosecutors say he also posted on the Internet.

The businessman's offer led to criminal complaints and telephone death threats against him.

Prosecutors argue that the man's actions overstepped the legally guaranteed freedom to criticize other religions. They say he has cited his right to freedom of opinion and artistic expression, and said his aim was to provoke rather than actually sell the toilet paper.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobel "Piece" prize?..anyone?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:12:50 AM EDT
[#2]
On one hand I guess we could all buy some to help with legal fee's. On another, I hate how people trash talk and crap (no pun intended) on someone elses religion. Its really sad.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:22:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate to crap on anyone's religion too, I only discuss religion with SOME of my friends

At this point isn't it a(n) (t)issue of free speech?
What would happen if someone made Christian TP?
Baptist? Catholic? Jewish? Episcapalien? Methodist?
Budist? Santaria? Wiccan? Would it be a hate crime?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:25:24 AM EDT
[#5]
so is all the blank toilet paper basically disrespecting athiests?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
On one hand I guess we could all buy some to help with legal fee's. On another, I hate how people trash talk and crap (no pun intended) on someone elses religion. Its really sad.

I really dont buy into any religion,therefore i could really care less about wiping my ass with a sworn enemy of the US bullshit book.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really dont buy into any religion,therefore i could really care less about wiping my ass with a sworn enemy of the US bullshit book.

Point taken. But the majority I think are people who belive in religion and are trashing other religions. Doesnt seem very religious...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Where can I get some?...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:45:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Point taken. But the majority I think are people who belive in religion and are trashing other religions. Doesnt seem very religious...

This is why i dont believe in religion.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:47:26 AM EDT
[#10]
The problem is he printed it on toilet paper, so it won't reach the target audience. Imagine the riots if he would have printed it on their left hand.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
so is all the blank toilet paper basically disrespecting athiests?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agnostic here, if they are going to use it as their symbol for righteousness then it is fair game along with the rest of them.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:21:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The problem is he printed it on toilet paper, so it won't reach the target audience. Imagine the riots if he would have printed it on their left hand.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:23:05 AM EDT
[#13]
So how DOES one get toilet paper to feed thru a printer?

How come they are ready to kill over cartoons and this guy does not even get 2nd place?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:49:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

trashing that religon or the culture of that religon?  I dont see many "peaceful" Muslims speaking out against violence propagated by their own
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:33:23 AM EDT
[#15]
You get korans for free, just use them instaed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top