Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 3:35:12 AM EDT
I have recently talked to my wife's Nephew and his wife;  They do DJ work for weddings, quincinereas, parties, etc., and have recently branched out to fill more roles people are looking for at big parties.  They do videotaping, photography, custom wine labels and CD's, etc.  They're looking for someone to make cakes and cookies, and as I've always been a halfway decent cook, they asked me, I told them I'd think about it.

I'm going to start practicing today, going to make an 8in layer cake and try to ice it with (store bought) fondant.  My wedding cake had this icing, I know it's supposed to form a seamless, almost painted on look.  I also need to start getting the hang of decorating, starting with beading around the borders of the cake and basic flowers with leftover fondant.  I've signed up for a cake decorating class at Michael's in a few weeks.

Any of the ArfCom crowd with baking, decorating, etc experience care to throw some advice my way?  I'm pretty much completely new to this, from a decorating standpoint.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:37:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Slap a couple of rails and a vertical foregrip on it and call it good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:40:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I bake a lot, but never anything that formal.  Hobby Lobby (craft store) has cake decorating classes, you might want to take one.  It's on my to-do list, I just have no time.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm fairly sure there is some AR15.com penalty for knowing what fondant means.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yes, yes, it's a french word, unfortunately.  It is icing though, therefore sugar, and therefore, good, and good for you.  My cakes won't be surrendering to the brotwurst, no worries.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#5]
So do you have liability insurance and an inspected / certified kitchen in which you can do your baking?

If not, just wait for the wrong person to get sick anywhere around the time they ate one of your cakes / cookies, and then kiss everything you own goodbye.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Isn't that proof they are gay?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That makes me fairly sure you are ignorant, and the your penalty is having missed out on some good eats.

My Nona would make it every Christmas, rolled flat with a layer of peanut butter and then rolled back up again and sliced about 1/2" thick.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top