Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 7:16:07 PM EDT
I am going to try fly fishing tommorow for steel head.  Just curious on what flies would be good to try?

So far I have been using wooly worms with fairly good results, just curious if there is something that I should be using (this is my first year steelhead fishing) ....

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#1]
tie a string around a glocks trigger, drop it in a pool, yank when it gets to about 3 feet deep
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
tie a string around a glocks trigger, drop it in a pool, yank when it gets to about 3 feet deep

Nice

I have some dynamite available if I wanted to do that though (family runs a gold mine).  Trying to keep it legal here
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
You know, it's a good thing that adair_usmc never makes Glock kaboom jokes or people might log in and shit on his thread...

G
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
(family runs a gold mine)

And you're posting here rather than sleeping on a pile of cash with many beautiful women WHY? I call shens.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You know, it's a good thing that adair_usmc never makes Glock kaboom jokes or people might log in and shit on his thread...

G

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you're posting here rather than sleeping on a pile of cash with many beautiful women WHY? I call shens.

Its not a BIG gold mine.  I am certainly not sitting on a pile of cash, but the gold does make for a nice supplimental income, however little it does put out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck with the steely monsters! Never been flyfishing for them...always threw panther martins or eggs and red yarn at em.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Good luck with the steely monsters! Never been flyfishing for them...always threw panther martins or eggs and red yarn at em.

Have fun!

If panther martins will work, I might try that instead.  I could always bring one of my other poles.

I could always try my ultralight crappie setup
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Tie a magnet to the end of the line
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Nice .... very nice .....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Where in OR will you be fishing? (Body of water)

Specifics please!

How about a Teeny Nymphs? http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/02-teeny-nymph.htm

PM me. maybe I can help.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Specifics please!

PM me. maybe I can help.

Wallowa River, up to the Minam river, between Elgin and Wallowa, OR.

I also might go down to the grande rhonde river too, but the plan is to go to the Wallowa river again tommorrow.

I think I have a few of those teeny nymphs.  I will have to give them a try.  A co-worker of mine said to use anything black, which is why I have been using the black wooly worms lately.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Specifics please!

PM me. maybe I can help.

A co-worker of mine said to use anything black, which is why I have been using the black wooly worms lately.

Yessir, the teeny nymphs will work great in a dark color this time of year. They are tied with dyed pheasant feather...easily, no need to pay big money for them. The wooley bugers work great also. Good luck! Have fun. I wish I was back "in country" this time of year.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have fun!

If panther martins will work, I might try that instead.  I could always bring one of my other poles.

I could always try my ultralight crappie setup

If you try panther martins, get the big version of the 4PMRG. That's the one that's black with yellow spots and a plain copper blade. It will catch trout when NOTHING else will! You gotta throw upstream above the holes where the fish are holding and reel like a sum bitch.

We also used to use salmon eggs soaked in borax. I used a Y terminal with a surgical rubber tube attached to one side. You stick lead wire into the tube. If the weight gets snagged, you can pull it loose without loosing your rig. On the other side, I tied a trebble hook. I put a glob of eggs wrapped in a piece of that plastic mesh like they use in the bags that oranges come in. Then I tied the bundle closed, over the hook, with a 6 inch piece of red or orange yarn. You leave the ends of the yarn long so the fish can see the color. Same thing of throwing in above a hole and letting the rig bounce accross the bottom.

I used to limit out on steelys like that. Good luck! I wish I was going!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top