Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 6:06:01 PM EDT
      What is it like to be a police officer? What are some good qualities to have and some not so good ones? I am seriously considering a career in it. thanks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You should go ask in the Brother of the Shield forum.

here

you might get better feedback
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Qualities not to have: honesty, integrity, belief in constitution
Qualities to have: have profound hate for everything that walks on 4 legs, be able to lie, and have huge ego

simple as that
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Qualities to have: have profound hate for everything that walks on 4 legs, be able to lie, and have huge ego

simple as that

Why don't you try to at least give realistic advice? Thats what the guy is asking for.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

simple as that

Thanks for putting your worthless $.02 in. Go spam somewhere else.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope you enjoy writing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Long periods of boredom punciuated by brief periods of sheer terror.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Go on a few ridealongs, gives you some pretty good insight, if not you still have a interesting view of you neighborhood.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Sometimes it's the greatest job in the world - bar none.

Sometimes it's the absolute miserable, most frustrating, heart wrenching job in the world - bar none.

-K
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Just remember, if it's on fire they know who to call, for everything else they call us.  Be ready for anything.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I hear hating dogs is a big plus!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not wanting to be bit does not equal hating dogs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

simple as that

Always smile and be polite to guys like this....even after you pull their kid out of the swimming pool in December.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#13]
What you'll encounter varies depending on where you work. Certain places are like the Gaza strip, others are extremely boring. How much "action" you're looking for should factor into where you'd like to work.

If you genuinely like to help people and feel rewarded when a citizen gives you an honest thanks for making their life better, it can be the most fulfulling job out there. But there will be people who will fight, curse at you, spit, bite, and look at you with the utmost disdain because they like to stereotype LE as jack booted thugs who want nothing but to abuse the authority given to them.

It's one of the few professions that's perception can be ruined by a very small minority of people because they are in the public eye more than most occupations.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1

(and the paperwork... don't forget the paperwork)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

(and the paperwork... don't forget the paperwork)

That could be best described as "2 minutes of excitement, 7 hours of paperwork"
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Sometimes it's the greatest job in the world - bar none.

Sometimes it's the absolute miserable, most frustrating, heart wrenching job in the world - bar none.

-K

+1
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:56:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Just going by the local LEO officers down here in small town Tx. When i was 11 i had 4 teenage black males attempt to steal my bicycle when i was riding with my friends to their house(3 blocks away). They came up and circled around me and told me to get "my fat ass of my bike". I refused and hauled ass. Went to my friends house and told my mom and she called the police because we knew where they were at(the basketball court across the track). The cops show up and follow them in our car and point out the ones responsible. The chicken shit mofos were to scared to even go over and talk to them. I also know some young cops that I knew growing up that were lying, stealing, bunch of dopeheads. These are the people who are now enforcing the law???? Maybe its different in other places but here its the "good ol boy" network. Certain people do what they want because who they are and others get crucified because of who their not!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:05:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I would suggest looking into a reserve program first. It can help get your feet wet then if you like it try to go fulltime. You might also look into local colleges offering criminal justice programs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:06:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What you'll encounter varies depending on where you work. Certain places are like the Gaza strip, others are extremely boring. How much "action" you're looking for should factor into where you'd like to work.

If you genuinely like to help people and feel rewarded when a citizen gives you an honest thanks for making their life better, it can be the most fulfulling job out there. But there will be people who will fight, curse at you, spit, bite, and look at you with the utmost disdain because they like to stereotype LE as jack booted thugs who want nothing but to abuse the authority given to them.

It's one of the few professions that's perception can be ruined by a very small minority of people because they are in the public eye more than most occupations.

Well in my line of work (truck driver/ owner) it is a game of Chess, cat and mouse. I generally respect LEOs

You think being an LEO is crazy try driving a truck, everyone hates you intil you bring 'em something
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:20:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Recognise that 99% of your workload comes from 5% of the population.  The other 95% either support you or don't think about you at all. You'll never contact most of the 95% beyond a simple "good morning" You'll come across the rest every day.

Get education that emphasizes communication and writing skills.  You'll use these a hell of a lot more than you'll use say,  IT training. Some background outside the classroom with the mentally ill is a GREAT help.

Fitness.  It's said that you must exercise 5 hours a week for every minute you expect to survive in a fight. That's true, but I add another fact.  Fitness keeps you alive despite the stress and corrosive work experiences. When your buddies start having heart attacks at age 34, this will become VERY clear to you.

Live a model lifestyle 24/7. Dope, drinking, adultery, dishonesty in general, = No job.  Keep in mind, you don't become (and stay)a police officer by meeting the MINIMUM requirements,  This isn't a cube farm. You become one by out shining out all other applicants. On a related note, choose your friends with care.  You WILL be judged by their actions.  A cop's life is under a microscope constantly.

If you are married, (or will be) make the career path as clear as possible to her.  I've heard MANY a rookie's girlfriend/wife say,  "I didn't expect it to be like this".

Lastly, hang around GD.  It's a great teaching aid for recognising the 5% and mentally ill.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm an ignorant moron, simple as that

Sniff...Sniff...sniff.

Is that bacon?

Nope it's

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just going by the local LEO officers down here in small town Tx. When i was 11 i had 4 teenage black males attempt to steal my bicycle when i was riding with my friends to their house(3 blocks away). They came up and circled around me and told me to get "my fat ass of my bike". I refused and hauled ass. Went to my friends house and told my mom and she called the police because we knew where they were at(the basketball court across the track). The cops show up and follow them in our car and point out the ones responsible. The chicken shit mofos were to scared to even go over and talk to them. I also know some young cops that I knew growing up that were lying, stealing, bunch of dopeheads. These are the people who are now enforcing the law???? Maybe its different in other places but here its the "good ol boy" network. Certain people do what they want because who they are and others get crucified because of who their not!

This for example, is a 5 percenter.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:28:43 AM EDT
[#24]
If you don't feed the trolls, they'll eventually go away folks.  Not responding to them pisses them off worse than anything.

This is not meant for the original poster, just commenting not to quote a few posts here to run them off to where they belong.  

Definately try the BOTS forum guy.  They are good peope and will help get your questions answered without the trolling.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:29:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

simple as that

You will have to learn that individuals like BullDogger will always have you at a certain level of disadvantage.  You will always have to be polite with them, even though they are clowns of the highest order.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless your a middle Tn pussy cop
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:41:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless your a middle Tn pussy cop

So you enjoy being bit by dogs, eh?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:42:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I thought that was being married?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:57:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that was being married?

Sounds like my house
I have a good friend here on the Island who is a cop. He LOVES his job.
He hates the internal politics and union issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top