Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 6:54:47 AM EDT
Is a clove the whole big thing, or is it one of the little things you break off the big thing.
My recipe calls for 2 cloves of garlic....And theres a big damn difference between the little bulb of garlic and the whole bulb of garlic.

So, is a clove the little bulb or the big bulb?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#1]
It's one whole piece of garlic.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I was under the impression that a clove was one of the pedal parts.

ETA from Google:

"A head or bulb of garlic usually contains about 10 cloves"
www.foodsubs.com/Garlic.html
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#3]
This can't end well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:58:00 AM EDT
[#4]
It is the thing you string on a necklace to ward off vampires.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:58:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This can't end well.

your aren't kidding.   he gonna kil all the vampires with a 3 house radius with his breath
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#6]
The big thing you buy at the supermarket is a bulb of garlic.  One individual "piece" broken out from the inside is a clove.  One bulb contains many cloves.

Make sure you peel the paper off the clove.  It's inedible.  The easieest way is to lay the clove down on your board or counter, lay the flat side of a chef's knife or other flat, hard item on top of the clove and give it a sharp rap with your hand.  The clove will "pop", and the paper will be easily removed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I beleive it is just one petal
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#8]
It's what you put in sack or string together to keep vampires at bay.
Seriously,Garlic is a pretty strong ingrediant so it would be the small pieces of the Garlic itself. Not unlike a slice from an orange.Shaped about the same and is part of the main body of Garlic.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#9]
It's one of the "petals" that you break off of the bulb.

DON'T use 2 bulbs of garlic if the recipe calls for 2 cloves.  It will affect the flavor of the meal a wee bit.  

ETA-  Good info here:cheneybrothers.com/garlic.shtm

Good garlic here: Hosgoods
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#10]
A clove of garlic is one piece you break off.  The big thing is called a head of garlic (like a head of lettuce).

Break off two cloves (Per your recipie)
put them on a cutting board.
Take a chef's knife, and lay it flat on the cloves
Hit the knife with the palm of your hand.
The paper will fall right off of the cloves, and they will be smashed up some.  Chop a couple of times and start cooking.

Fresh garlic is about a ba-zillion times better than the pre chopped stuff.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The big thing you buy at the supermarket is a bulb of garlic.  One individual "piece" broken out from the inside is a clove.  One bulb contains many cloves.

This is correct.

You don't want to make that mistake ... First time I tried cooking with real garlic I did.

I was trying to cook for my Girlfriend in college, and the recipe called for 2-3 CLOVES of garlic. I thought the whole BULB was a clove. Since she liked garlic, I went ahead and added 3 whole friggin' bulbs.

There was no necking that night.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#13]
The bulb is the whole "big" thing, a clove is one of the little pieces that comes off of the "big" thing.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It's one of the "petals" that you break off of the bulb.

DON'T use 2 bulbs of garlic if the recipe calls for 2 cloves.  It will affect the flavor of the meal a wee bit.  

What he said!  Take it from me.

Once many years ago when I was just learning to cook I made a BBQ sauce that called for two cloves, not knowing any better I used two bulbs!!!

WOW -
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool, thanks!
Off to make the soup.

Man, adding 4 bulbs instead of 4 cloves might adversely affect the taste eh?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:24:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once many years ago when I was just learning to cook I made a BBQ sauce that called for two cloves, not knowing any better I used two bulbs!!!

WOW -

You must have been really popular for a week or more!

He'll never get scurvy.  

A friend of mine has been trying to perfect his bread and butter garlic recipe.  My wife has banned me from participating in any more taste tests.    That stuff stays in your body for days.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Since she liked garlic, I went ahead and added 3 whole friggin' bulbs.

Good god.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Since she liked garlic, I went ahead and added 3 whole friggin' bulbs.

Good god.

If I remember correctly, those were her exact words.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Garlic is a variety of onion (closely related) BTW.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#21]
This thread is funny.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Garlic is a variety of onion (closely related) BTW.

I wouldn't exactly call it a variety of onion, but they are in the same family, yes.

Along with shallots, scallions, and leeks.

Mmmmmm  leek rings.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#23]
be sure to wear rubber cloves when handling it...otherwise you might ward off you wife or girlfriend for a while as well as vampires...stinkfingers.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
be sure to wear rubber cloves when handling it...otherwise you might ward off you wife or girlfriend for a while as well as vampires...stinkfingers.

Wuss
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#25]
A clove is not a head.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Can I mix garlic with that stuff that is used for making hamburgers to make the hamburger taste better?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I like to slice the cloves in half (the long way) and peel the paper, then use the garlic press.  The thing that's related to a nut cracker.  It squeezes the cloves through a fine mesh and releases all the juices/flavor.  
Yummy!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Head or clove?  A mistake you will likely make only once in your cooking lifetime.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW -

You must have been really popular for a week or more!

He'll never get scurvy.

Or prostate cancer.  (Alliums protect against it.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top