Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 11:48:36 PM EDT
I have to read The Alien Act of 1798 and the Kentucky Resolution and compare the issues addressed in both of those pieces of legislation to post-9/11 america and the issues delt with in The Patriot Act.  Frankly, it's been awhile since I've read anything from the Patriot Act, does anyone want to give me a quick run-down on the commonalities?

P.S.
here's the abstract for The Alien Act:
SECTION I. Confers power on the President to order aliens to depart.
   1. What aliens.

Such as the President shall judge dangerous to the peace and safety of the United States, or shall have reasonable grounds to suspect of treasonable or secret machinations against the government.

2. How proceeded against.

By the President's order to depart, served by the marshal or other person. But the President may grant a license to remain on proof by the alien, that he is not dangerous; and may require bond and security of such person.

3. Consequences of disobedience.

Imprisonment, on conviction, not exceeding three years, and perpetual disability to become a citizen.

SECTION II. Confers on the President power to remove aliens.
   1. What aliens.

Such as are above described, who are

1. In prison, in pursuance of this Act.
           2. Dangerous, and proper to be speedily removed.

2. Consequences of returning without President's permission.

Imprisonment, on conviction, as long as the President thinks the public safety requires it.

SECTION III. Requires masters of ships to report to officers of customs, all aliens on board.
SECTION IV. Gives the District and Circuit Courts of the United States cognizance of all offences against this Act; and requires marshals, and other officers of the United States to execute the President's orders under it.
SECTION V. Allows alien to remove his effects.
SECTION VI. Continues act in force for two years.

And a link to the Kentucky Resolution.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#1]
In Before The Do Your Own Damn Homework Nazi's

Seriously, I have no idea.

What school do you go to?

Check out the Hometown forum.  Lots of good people and activities.  We're getting ready to go to a Knob Creek-style Machine gun shoot in June which should be an awesome time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#2]
You mean your actually in a school that attempts to teach history... I am amazed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:22:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
In Before The Do Your Own Damn Homework Nazi's

Seriously, I have no idea.

What school do you go to?

Check out the Hometown forum.  Lots of good people and activities.  We're getting ready to go to a Knob Creek-style Machine gun shoot in June which should be an awesome time.

The Albany shoot?  I want in on that!!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#4]
well could someone give me a run-down on the main points of the patriot act?  The teacher just *assumed* we all knew what the patriot act was and did.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#5]
OK, then a rough run-down of the PATRIOT act.
It has ten titles, which are summarised as below.

Title 1
Creates a counterterroism fund and provides more money to the FIB.
Broadens the attorney general's authority to request assistance of the DoD concerning WMD.
Gives POTUS the power to confiscate the property of terrorists and supporters.
If the courts deal with this, the courts can examine classified evidence without making it public.

Title 2
This title concerns wiretapping.
It basically modifies the 1978 FISA to be able to cope with the internet era.

Title 3
Attacks terrorism financially.

Title 4
This title provides means to protect the border by
    tripling the number of Border patrol personnel.
    allowing the INS and Department of state access criminal records of people who apply to enter the US.
    denying due process to suspected terrorists.

Title 5
This authorises paying rewards for terrorist related info, extends the jurisdiction of the SS to investigate offences against .gov computers.

Title 6
Provides assistance for victims of terrorism.
Partly by amending the Victims of Crime Act of 1984 to do so.

Title 7
Expands the regional information sharing system to faciliate federal-state-local LEO responses to terrorism.

Title 8
This title defines various kinds of terrorism and prohibits any person from harbouring terrorists and/or providing any kind of support.
Also increases penalties for terrorist related activities.

Title 9
This title requires the CIA director to assist the attorney general in the generation and dissemination of info concerning terrorism.
It also creates the Foreign Terrorist Asset Tracking Center and the National Virtual Translation Center.
Additionally provides for .gov officials to deal with terrorism.

Title 10
Creates an independent oversight review agency and explains/defines terms used in the PATRIOT act.

Disclaimer, I am slightly drunk and typing from memory.
I am reasonably sure that what I have wrote is accurate, but confirm important points yourself.

I would be happy to assist you, if I can do so.
Also I would appreciate it if you could E-mail me a copy of your finished essay to atnt'at'ar15.com please
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top