Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 7:52:25 AM EDT
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060209/ap_on_re_us/exit_exam_lawsuit

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - To graduate this year, high school senior Nadira Wasi faces a requirement that no class before hers has — the state's high school exit exam.

ADVERTISEMENT

Wasi, 17, is part of a program for students who need extra assistance in school. She passed the English section but has twice failed the math portion.

On Wednesday, 20 high school seniors and their parents sued the state     Department of Education and school Superintendent Jack O'Connell, claiming the exam is illegal and discriminatory. They worry the test may prevent the students from graduating.

"I don't think it should hold up your graduation," said Wasi, who is not part of the lawsuit but would be affected if it is successful.

The lawsuit was filed in San Francisco County Superior Court. It seeks a court injunction to delay the consequences of the exam for students in this year's class. Defendants also include the state of California and the state Board of Education.

Lead attorney Arturo Gonzalez said the lawsuit likely will expand to represent tens of thousands of students who have met all local requirements to graduate except passing both sections of the exam.

"Many students in California have not been given a fair opportunity to learn the material on the exam," Gonzalez said. "These are good kids who have worked hard for 13 years to pass their courses."

Gonzalez said the state failed to study alternatives for students who could not pass the test, particularly students who are nonnative speakers of English, as the legislation required when lawmakers approved the exam in 1999. The lawsuit also claims the state is denying some students their fundamental right to an equal education.

Department of Education spokeswoman Hilary McLean said she had no immediate comment on the lawsuit because department officials had not seen it.

But O'Connell, who helped write the exit exam legislation, said last month he had considered alternative assessments for students who fail to pass the exam before deciding against them. The state held a public hearing in December to take comments on its options.

O'Connell has said that students who fail the exam can take another year of high school, get extra tutoring, enroll in summer school or attend community college until they pass. Gov.     Arnold Schwarzenegger included $40 million for tutorial programs in his budget for the fiscal year that begins July 1.

Nationwide, 23 states have graduation exams and four more are phasing them in by 2012, according to the Washington, D.C.-based Center on Education Policy. Most states offer options for students with special needs and nonnative speakers of English, center president Jack Jennings said.

At the start of this school year, about 100,000 seniors in California had not passed at least one of the sections — more than one-fifth of the state's roughly 450,000 high school seniors.

State officials have said they do not have updated figures, although they say the number is much lower now because students have had several chances to take the exam this school year.

___

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#1]
<thought crime removed.  --tbk1>
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#2]
No comment needed. This one is obvious.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Just one more example of the man keepin em down!

Stupid fucks.  Make em take it.  I'm sick of people with HS diploma's giving shit to people with GED's.  We actually had to prove we knew the shit and pass it.  We couldn't fuck our teacher and get an A.  This will prove that they are intelligent enough to hold down a job and be a good case to keep em from being on fucking welfare and foodstamps.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Jose Gonzalez the coyote has a box truck with a 500 cubic foot capacity. There are 75 Guatemalan, Ecaudoran, and Salvadoran pollos plus 3 Al Qaida sleeper operatives each with an average size of 2.4 cubic feet. How can Jose stuff each one of these pollos into the truck while charging them each $2,000 and make it across the border without getting caught by the racist La Migra? Show your work.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jose Gonzalez the coyote has a box truck with a 500 cubic foot capacity. There are 75 Guatemalan, Ecaudoran, and Salvadoran pollos each with an average size of 2.4 cubic feet. How can Juan stuff each one of these pollos into the truck while charging them each $2,000 and make it across the border without getting caught by the racist La Migra? Show your work.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No comment needed. This one is obvious.

Obvious to anyone with 2 functioning brain cells..........but not obvious to a great many people!

"I'm sduped so I'll sue the skuul!".................
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#8]
[racial slurs removed - first last, and only warning - Paul]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe the Fed Dept of Ed should step in, if these people don't pass the federal exam, and the exam should be proctored by someone from Fed Dept of Ed rather than local school staff, for every student that doesn't pass withhold that amount for the past 3 years for each failed student for the following school year.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Same BS we have down here. The School Board of Pinellas county is being sued because a higher portion of blacks fail than whites, so they say the School Board is "Racist"

ALL the curriculum is the same, there are NO segregated classes etc: But they are "Racist"
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#11]

..."I don't think it should hold up your graduation," said Wasi...

I think it should.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#12]
One more thing to note.. many states have these exit exams. California just happens to be implementing them this year.

They were started in CA a couple years back, however they put it off for a couple years to make the questions dumber because there were even MORE kids failing then than now!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]
This is our future folks, make sure your kids are well trained. Plenty of ditch diggers coming.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Holy crap...here are a bunch of practice questions.  They should be too embarrassed to sue.

www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/hs/mathrtq05.asp

Also note the following:
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Stupid fucks.  Make em take it.  I'm sick of people with HS diploma's giving shit to people with GED's.  We actually had to prove we knew the shit and pass it.  We couldn't fuck our teacher and get an A.  This will prove that they are intelligent enough to hold down a job and be a good case to keep em from being on fucking welfare and foodstamps.

Got your Good Enough Diploma eh?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This is our future folks, make sure your kids are well trained. Plenty of ditch diggers coming.

From other countries though.  Ours are just going on the dole.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#17]
That's such horseshit. I hated taking standardized tests in high school, but what the hell is up with everyone suing everybody because shit doesn't work out the way the want it to. Didn't pass math? Get a tutor. Practice more. Get a differant tutor if you still don't get it.

Oh, but wait, my mistake. Why do that when we can just sue everyone and complain about how it's everyone else's fault they don't know math?

<rant off>
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Folks, there's plenty of disparaging comments which can be made about the ignorant pukes discussed in the article without making sweeping generalizations.  Your cooperation is appreciated--and expected.

You mean like saying that 20% of the kids in school are too lazy to learn to do simple arithmatic and too stupid to figure out how to cheat and not get caught?  For me that pretty much covers it with no need to single out any one racial or cultural group.

It's just too bad that jobs aren't handed out based on who has the best skill set for the job, then all this foolishness wouldn't be necessary.  Want a good job?  Do good at school.  Want to be a ditch digger?  Fail the basic readin, writin and rithmatic classes.  It plumb evades me how this can be racist, but maybe it's me that stupid.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jose Gonzalez the coyote has a box truck with a 500 cubic foot capacity. There are 75 Guatemalan, Ecaudoran, and Salvadoran pollos each with an average size of 2.4 cubic feet. How can Juan stuff each one of these pollos into the truck while charging them each $2,000 and make it across the border without getting caught by the racist La Migra? Show your work.

hr

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got your Good Enough Diploma eh?

Yep,  I moved around highschools so much that my credits were all fucked up,  plus some schools wouldn't issue accept certain credits because according to their "plan" I took a certain class in the wrong year.  Lotta bullshit, so I said fuck it, Took my GED. and went to work, I've never looked back or regretted it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#23]
My son will graduate this year from a PRK high school. He worked very hard and was able to pass the tests this year. All high school kids get multiple chances to take this test and it ain't all that easy according to my son.

I fully expect my daughter to pass hers this year as well, although she is just a sophmore.

All students need to pass this exam. No excuses, no whining. Work hard, pass test. Slack off and screw around, fail test.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I just took that test on Tuesday and Wednesday. That was one of the easiest tests I have taken in my life. I don't know what kind of classes she had cause this was extremely simple stuff I learned in 5th grade.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#25]

"These are good kids who have worked hard for 13 years to pass their courses."

WTF, over?

13 years?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

WTF, over?

13 years?

Zey heff did ting calt kindergarten herr hardcase
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I just took that test on Tuesday and Wednesday. That was one of the easiest tests I have taken in my life. I don't know what kind of classes she had cause this was extremely simple stuff I learned in 5th grade.

Sounds about right. Some of theese kids can't even do simple multiplication without a calculator.

I BET THEY DON'T HAVE A CLUE ON HOW TO USE A SLIDE RULE EITHER!

(Maybe the problem isn't that the test was 'too hard' but that they were not held back a grade when they should have been...)
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not sure why it's such a big deal anyway.  Does anyone really take a HS diploma seriously anymore?  As far as I'm concerned, all it means now is that the kid managed to make it to age 17 without killing someone and going to jail, not that they actually learned anything.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#29]
"I don't think failing school should hold up my graduation............"

What complex logic.   Future rocket scientist or welfare recipient.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF, over?

13 years?

Zey heff did ting calt kindergarten herr hardcase

Added Tidbit:

13 is also the number of 'undocumented immigrants' you can fit into the trunk of the average Buck sedan.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Jose Gonzalez the coyote has a box truck with a 500 cubic foot capacity. There are 75 Guatemalan, Ecaudoran, and Salvadoran pollos plus 3 Al Qaida sleeper operatives each with an average size of 2.4 cubic feet. How can Jose stuff each one of these pollos into the truck while charging them each $2,000 and make it across the border without getting caught by the racist La Migra? Show your work.

Buy 72 virgins and 15 bombs, everyone will be well motivated to get their stuff done
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#32]
This reminds me of the black girl that sued Mc Donalds for making her fat.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Kids are pathetic nowadays, my generation included.  Everything is expected, whine whine whine until you get, and if it's refused, sue.

I'm embarrased of my age group.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Kids are pathetic nowadays, my generation included.  Everything is expected, whine whine whine until you get, and if it's refused, sue.

I'm embarrased of my age group.

Sue them for defamation of character.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#35]
It's hard to imagine people unable to pass a basic fucking high school graduation test. Sadly, they exist
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

When I was in high school, one of my friends has a sister who was in what we called the retard room.
She was not dumb, and not retarded. I don't know what was wrong with her really, but sometimes she would go off on rages. Anyway for the last four years of high school, she was doing the same work that was taught in 6th grade. She would have never been able to pass a test like that.

Then again my high school really didn't give a shit about its students, they only cared about state and federal money. There was the standard saying when I was in school. If you want to learn about something, check the books out from the library.

I sure did a hell of a lot of that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#38]
This would be laughable save for the fact that those same idgits are the ones going to inherit this great nation they have been given.

RIP America
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I took mine in 01' (might have been earlier) and passed. I was a TERRIBLE student. Absolutely HORRIBLE. It's hard for me to express how much I screwed around in school.... I STILL passed all my tests the first time without cheating. The math one was extremely close, but I passed it. The other sections looked like an immigration test. Alot of questions on important events in American history and only a few actually on specific dates they occured on.

Also, if you didn't pass the math by the 2nd time, you were pulled from your current math class and put into a special math class focusing on prep for that exact test. Same goes for the other subject  areas, except not many people failed those. All together, you had about 5 or 6 chances to pass those tests starting at mid terms, till the end of the year.

Better hope a bunch of McDonalds open in the next few years; otherwise there are going to be alot of unemployed morons with their high-preschool diploma.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#40]

"Many students in California have not been given a fair opportunity to learn the material on the exam," Gonzalez said. "These are good kids who have worked hard for 13 years to pass their courses."

How in the hell can someone say those two sentences out loud, actually mean them, and not have their head explode immediately??

Woody
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top