Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 8:21:50 PM EDT
Uniform board results released

2/8/2006 - WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- The 97th Air Force Uniform Board released their newest results for proper wear of the uniform.

The board met in October and discussed everything from eliminating the Air Force Good Conduct Medal to maternity uniforms.

In addition, a Headquarters Air Force badge will be available this summer. The badge provides a distinct identification of military staff members assigned to the Air Staff and the Air Force Secretariat. Details about this badge will be available at a future date.

The following changes are effective immediately:

-- Approval to wear the blue nametag with the Air Force informal uniform -- the member’s abbreviated rank and name will be on one line. This uniform is worn by recruiters, honor guard, enlisted aides, chaplains, chaplain assistants, world-class athletes, and fitness center and health and wellness center staffs.

-- Cummerbund pleats will face up in all cases.

-- If due to a temporary medical condition, such as chemotherapy, results in baldness, commanders will authorize the approved American Cancer Society cap, wigs or baldness while in uniform.

-- Bracelet size is reduced to one-half inch. Bracelets that support a cause, philosophy, individual or group are not authorized. Traditional POW/MIA bracelets are still permitted. Gemstone and tennis bracelets are only authorized while wearing the mess dress.

-- Rings will be worn at the base of the finger and will not be worn on the thumb. Wedding sets count as one ring.

-- Eyeglasses will not be worn around the neck, on top or back of the head or hanging on uniform.

-- Epoxy blue nametag is optional on the blue shirt.

-- Wear of the firefighter duty badge is authorized while an individual is assigned a 3E7X1 duty Air Force specialty code, including periods of professional military education and staff tours above group level.

-- Wear of the security forces duty badge and beret is authorized while an individual is assigned a 3PXXX duty AFSC position and is also their primary AFSC, including PME attendance and staff tours above group level.

-- The Air Force Good Conduct Medal will no longer be awarded. Previously earned medals are still permitted.

-- Mandatory wear of the physical training uniform is set for Oct. 1 as per the instructions released last November.

-- Cell phones, pagers and personal digital assistants must be solid or covered in black, silver, dark blue or gray, and must be conservative. They may be clipped to the left side of the waistband or purse or carried in left hand. Only one may be worn on the uniform belt. Members will not walk in uniform while using phones, radios or hands-free headsets unless required in performing official duties using a government-issued device.

-- Permanent wear of the scuba badge is authorized on the battle dress uniform.

-- While not deployed, desert combat uniforms may not be worn unless en route to the basic combat convoy course. “Deployed” for this purpose includes members traveling en route to/from rest and recuperative leave from the Central Command area of responsibility, as outlined in policy announced in mid-2005.

This session of the Air Force Uniform Board included a special panel that was specifically chartered to make recommendations regarding updates/revisions to uniform standards affecting women Airmen. After careful review, the board approved several changes that affect women specifically:

-- “Scrunchies” are prohibited.

-- Hairpins and bands must match hair color.

-- Hair color, frosting and highlights will not be faddish and will match natural hair colors, i.e. blonde, brunette, natural red, black or gray.

-- No shaved head or flat top hairstyles for women.

-- Synthetic hair can be worn, as long as it meets safety and mission requirements.

-- Braids, micro-braids and cornrows are authorized.

-- Nail polish will not contrast with complexion or detract from the uniform. Nor is polish of extreme color, such as purple, gold, black, blue or any florescent color, authorized. Nail polish will also be limited to one color.

-- French manicures are allowed, but fingernail length in all instances will not exceed one-quarter inch beyond the fingertip.

-- In addition to clutch-style purses, purses with no more than two straps are authorized with mess dress.

-- Earrings will be small spherical, conservative diamond, gold, white pearl or silver with any uniform combination and must be worn as a set. For those with multiple ear piercing, only one set of earrings will be worn in the lower earlobe and will also conform to these earring wear standards when performing duty in civilian clothes.

-- Male flight cap is optional.

The updates will be added to Air Force Instruction 36-2903 when the new version is released in March.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got my Good Conduct Medal in the Navy.  This is going to be a kick in the nuts to any junior Airman who managed to stay squared-away for three years.  Now said Airman gets nothing, just like his / her shitbag contemporary.   Not to mention the points lost on the WAPS test.

I think if the Navy / Marine Corps tried something like that, the backlash would be insane.

At least I got my Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF, WTF, WTF.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Did they post anywhere their rationale for getting rid of the GCM?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#3]
AF Good Conduct Medals don't get you any point on WAPS testing!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Elimination of the GCM?  That's pretty wierd.  Oh well, good thing I got mine while the getting was good.  Doesn't matter to me anyway now that I'm commissioned though.  Officers don't receive the GCM.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:57:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I was one month short. It doesn't bother me too much but most of the airman and nco's that I work with are pissed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]
It was superficial, awarded for doing your job.

That and the Presidential Unit Citation were handed out like candy.  

Meaningless, nearly embarassing ribbons.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:15:38 AM EDT
[#7]
hey now...thats the only ribbon I have!!!!!

JK
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:21:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That is probably why they got rid of it...

I remember seeing a cover of the AF times once...
It had a smiley face ribbon on it...
Inside was an article questioning if the AF has too many ribbons...

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:23:12 AM EDT
[#9]
the AF is now LESS ghey
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:26:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Most of the services seem to have too many ribbons. Now they have all these War on Terror medals and ribbons. I've got like five more ribbons for going to Afghanistan already.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#11]
If the AF Good Conduct Medal is anything like the Army Good Conduct Medal (and I have a feeling it is), then good for them for ditching it.  Meaningless, feel-good trinket.

I know there's a few guys out there with their GCM award certificate framed and mounted on their "I love me" wall that will take offense to this post...

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:42:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Uniform board results released

2/8/2006 - WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- The 97th Air Force Uniform Board released their newest results for proper wear of the uniform.

The board met in October and discussed everything from eliminating the Air Force Good Conduct Medal to maternity uniforms.

In addition, a Headquarters Air Force badge will be available this summer. The badge provides a distinct identification of military staff members assigned to the Air Staff and the Air Force Secretariat. Details about this badge will be available at a future date.

The following changes are effective immediately:

-- Approval to wear the blue nametag with the Air Force informal uniform -- the member’s abbreviated rank and name will be on one line. This uniform is worn by recruiters, honor guard, enlisted aides, chaplains, chaplain assistants, world-class athletes, and fitness center and health and wellness center staffs.

-- Cummerbund pleats will face up in all cases.

-- If due to a temporary medical condition, such as chemotherapy, results in baldness, commanders will authorize the approved American Cancer Society cap, wigs or baldness while in uniform.

-- Bracelet size is reduced to one-half inch. Bracelets that support a cause, philosophy, individual or group are not authorized. Traditional POW/MIA bracelets are still permitted. Gemstone and tennis bracelets are only authorized while wearing the mess dress.

-- Rings will be worn at the base of the finger and will not be worn on the thumb. Wedding sets count as one ring.

-- Eyeglasses will not be worn around the neck, on top or back of the head or hanging on uniform.

-- Epoxy blue nametag is optional on the blue shirt.

-- Wear of the firefighter duty badge is authorized while an individual is assigned a 3E7X1 duty Air Force specialty code, including periods of professional military education and staff tours above group level.

-- Wear of the security forces duty badge and beret is authorized while an individual is assigned a 3PXXX duty AFSC position and is also their primary AFSC, including PME attendance and staff tours above group level.

-- The Air Force Good Conduct Medal will no longer be awarded. Previously earned medals are still permitted.

-- Mandatory wear of the physical training uniform is set for Oct. 1 as per the instructions released last November.

-- Cell phones, pagers and personal digital assistants must be solid or covered in black, silver, dark blue or gray, and must be conservative. They may be clipped to the left side of the waistband or purse or carried in left hand. Only one may be worn on the uniform belt. Members will not walk in uniform while using phones, radios or hands-free headsets unless required in performing official duties using a government-issued device.

-- Permanent wear of the scuba badge is authorized on the battle dress uniform.

-- While not deployed, desert combat uniforms may not be worn unless en route to the basic combat convoy course. “Deployed” for this purpose includes members traveling en route to/from rest and recuperative leave from the Central Command area of responsibility, as outlined in policy announced in mid-2005.

This session of the Air Force Uniform Board included a special panel that was specifically chartered to make recommendations regarding updates/revisions to uniform standards affecting women Airmen. After careful review, the board approved several changes that affect women specifically:

-- “Scrunchies” are prohibited.

-- Hairpins and bands must match hair color.

-- Hair color, frosting and highlights will not be faddish and will match natural hair colors, i.e. blonde, brunette, natural red, black or gray.

-- Synthetic hair can be worn, as long as it meets safety and mission requirements.

-- Braids, micro-braids and cornrows are authorized.

-- Nail polish will not contrast with complexion or detract from the uniform. Nor is polish of extreme color, such as purple, gold, black, blue or any florescent color, authorized. Nail polish will also be limited to one color.

-- French manicures are allowed, but fingernail length in all instances will not exceed one-quarter inch beyond the fingertip.

-- In addition to clutch-style purses, purses with no more than two straps are authorized with mess dress.

-- Earrings will be small spherical, conservative diamond, gold, white pearl or silver with any uniform combination and must be worn as a set. For those with multiple ear piercing, only one set of earrings will be worn in the lower earlobe and will also conform to these earring wear standards when performing duty in civilian clothes.

-- Male flight cap is optional.

The updates will be added to Air Force Instruction 36-2903 when the new version is released in March.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got my Good Conduct Medal in the Navy.  This is going to be a kick in the nuts to any junior Airman who managed to stay squared-away for three years.  Now said Airman gets nothing, just like his / her shitbag contemporary.   Not to mention the points lost on the WAPS test.

I think if the Navy / Marine Corps tried something like that, the backlash would be insane.

At least I got my Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal.

The whole thing reads like a politically correct manifesto on how to keep everybody happy without demanding too much of them other than useless chickenshit. This is not my dad's Air Force. With so much stupidity and craven PC, I'm glad I didn't go in.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:48:14 AM EDT
[#13]
wtf is a "scrunchie"??? is that a fat airman who couldn't get out of the way of a tank fast enough?

i always thought the good cookie was a minor award but an award nonetheless for honorable and dedicated service. maybe it was just a little harder to get one in the corps back in the day...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Nice, If you try to remove a Blackberry from your left side, your thumb lands right on the "End call" button, and then you have to switch it to your right hand to actually use the device comfortably.

Quoted:
wtf is a "scrunchie"??? is that a fat airman who couldn't get out of the way of a tank fast enough?

Its a hair thingie for women.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:05:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

This is worm around the wrist by young women, and is made of stretchy type fabric, it can also be used to tie up hair, which my daughter does.

Hmm... I guess tongue pierces are out of the question under these rules?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is worm around the wrist by young women, and is made of stretchy type fabric, it can also be used to tie up hair, which my daughter does.

Hmm... I guess tongue pierces are out of the question under these rules?

AFI 36-2903 was revised a few years ago to specifically cover tattoos and body piercing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Uniform standards in the AF.  Who would have thunk it.

I especially like the Scuba badge one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:25:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Members will not walk in uniform while using phones, radios or hands-free headsets unless required in performing official duties using a government-issued device.

I love this one and can't wait to see it in practice.  

Of course the the regulation does not prohibit talking on your cell phone while skipping, meandering, or moon walking.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:31:57 AM EDT
[#19]
The Air Force has a PT uniform?  huh
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:32:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Well fuck...     Gozar the Gozarian is going to be pissed.
"Let's show this bitch how we do things downtown! Aim for the flat top!"
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Mmmmm..  Nothing quite says "military professional" as well as cornrows do.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Mmmmm..  Nothing quite says "military professional" as well as cornrows do.

+1

I have NEVER seen a more PC "lets keep all the people happy" uniform regulations

VERY unproffesional IMO
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I don't know about that. My unit was in three wars, the only PUCs it got were for the Phillipines, 1941/42. I don't think they earned the awards that easily.

NTM
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That and the Presidential Unit Citation were handed out like candy during my enlistment in the last half of the '70's.  

I don't know about that. My unit was in three wars, the only PUCs it got were for the Phillipines, 1941/42. I don't think they earned the awards that easily.

NTM

More precise now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I remember when I got my AF GC medal. A supply Sgt. said I was due and literally tossed it to me like... here ya go.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Most of the services seem to have too many ribbons. Now they have all these War on Terror medals and ribbons. I've got like five more ribbons for going to Afghanistan already.

If its not above or to the left of a NDSM it don't mean squat to me. All these new ribbons are just to impress the civies that don't know better.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Yeah.  We have to wear it in the Centcom AOR.

Besides that the use is lost on me.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If its not above or to the left of a NDSM it don't mean squat to me. All these new ribbons are just to impress the civies that don't know better.

Because campaign medals are a recent invention.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because campaign medals are a recent invention.

PFCs are running around with more fruit salad than E7 combat vets with 2 or 3 tours in VN  in my day.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Yeah I've got...what?  Three of four of those things?  I couldn't care less.  No points on WAPS=I don't care.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  We have to wear it in the Centcom AOR.

Besides that the use is lost on me.  

all I want to know is what Brother designed those pants?  I refused to wear when I went to Afghanistan in the fall because every time I put them on I heard M.C. Hammer music in the background and I movement was restricted to some weird side shuffle.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
... Meaningless, nearly embarassing ribbons.

+1

I remember feeling offended when I was awarded one back in the late 1960’s - it was like the army was surprised that I actually did my job!  

Adding insult to injury was the fact that it outranked a couple of campaign ribbons that truly meant something to me.  

At the time, there was also an utterly meaningless national service ribbon of some sort (red with a yellow center), but at least it was at the end and could be omitted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top