Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 4:20:08 PM EDT
Ours is...it tests out at about 10 grains/gallon hardness as supplied by the city. We have a softener.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
We have a softener.

Big fat ugly chick?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think ours is hard.  It just stinks of chlorine.

Our well water was hard, so we had a softener.

Though, come to think of it... it was hard on my fish.  I never had fish with city water, and didn't know better.  Filled the tank and by the next day, all but three of my fish were dead.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#3]
We're on a well and it's softened.  City water is one of the most foul tasting liquids on earth
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We're on a well and it's softened.  City water is one of the most foul tasting liquids on earth

Our city water tastes foul, and it tests out at the current federal max limit for arsenic. The feds are reducing the arsenic limit by 90% I think, and I don't know what the city will do.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Water is hard here in Utah....and tastes great.

I grew up here so when I later moved to Kali and found out that people didn't drink tap water much, I asked "Why?"

Then I took a drink.

Result: "Oh," and a dumb look on my face.

I moved back to Utah .
(this was only one of a million reasons why).  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Tap water sucks.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]
14 grains in Byron and yes I too have a softener
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#8]
My water is tapped too? Damn, NSA! It's all Bush's fault!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#9]
my tap water is litterly SALT water. I cannot begin to explain how horrible it is.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine is, comes out of a well.  When the water softener runs out of salt you can tell pretty quick..  it turns brown if you let it set in the sink/tub for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#11]
About 18-20 grains in Plymouth, MN.  Got so sick of the water spotting and gummed up dishwasher and faucets and draining about 5 gallons of lime in the water heater, that I bought a water softener after a couple of years of owning my house.  The appliances just run a whole lot better without the sand gumming it up.

Dont' know where you guys are at, but the tap water here is pretty good.  We get our city water from a set of deep wells in a limestone aquifur rather than surface water run off into a bear's bath tub and then delivered in canals
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#12]
We've been getting Lake Michigan water for over 10 years. I can't tell any difference between my tap water and $1.00 or more a small bottle for Evian or Fuji.
Of course I drink it down and don't swirl it around in my mouth. If I did, I suppose there might be a faint taste of flouride.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#13]
My tap water is pretty good.  Occasionally, I have to use bottled water because of excessive chlorine.  However most of the time it taste almost as good as bottled.  The water at my parents house, across town, is nasty and has visible crap floating in it.  They drink only bottled or filtered, because it has lots of minerals.  Their whole neighborhood is that way.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Our tap water is actually pretty good.

It's stored in a giant pond just north of the city.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Is your tap water hard?

Only after coming out of the freezer.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#16]
very
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#17]
no but my wanger is
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ours is...it tests out at about 10 grains/gallon hardness as supplied by the city. We have a softener.

You call that hard, normal around here is 25-30 from the city and I see up to 50-60 from wells.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Does the fact that I can't take my ice cubes through a metal detector tell you anything?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#20]
We broke down about 3 weeks ago and got a softener for the house.

Ironically Clearwater has TERRIBLE water with regard to hardness. Go figure.

The biggest pisser with adding a softener to an existing plumbing system is that the external spigots are all going to be soft so you can't use 'em for watering plants or the lawn...well unless you're into the 'desert wasteland' look.

But soft water is much, much nicer on the appliances, cleans better, no residue, etc etc etc.  Oh yeah and it doesn't leave 2mm of powder in the icecube trays after the ice sublimes away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top