Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 4:56:57 AM EDT
I understand that various video taped inter-actions with police and civilians have been discussed..

But specifically, are there ANY laws that forbid one from taping police involvement? Can a citizen be "ordered" to stop recording?  

Can LEO's confiscate tapes?

Anyone?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#1]
LEOs can do pretty much what they want, and after they take your tape and "lose" it, it's your word against their's as to what happened.

Lesson:  Use a telephoto lens.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:07:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Wasn't some group planning on handing out video cameras in East St Louis?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:31:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I guy I work with was just arrested for taking pictures of cops restraining his step kids.  The kids don't want to see their real father and the cops came to pick them up.  

He stood on his front porch, he didn't want to get any closer for fear of giving them an excuse to shoot him.  He had a baby in one arm and a camera in the other.  He was arrested and locked up for 24 hours.  They didn't charge him until the next week when he called the police chief and wanted to know why he was jailed.  When he said the magic word "sue" then he got charged.  He was told when his court date was, but not the charges.  He finally found out what the charges were when he went down to the court and talked to a few different people and made it known that he wouldn't leave until they told him what he was being charged with.  They are charging him with something they call "obstructing government business" and have promised he'll do 6 months for it and pay a $500 fine.

He's talked to a few lawyers and they tell him that what the cops did is illegal, and there's almost no way he can win.  He'll have to go to court, he'll lose and then do his 6 months while he appeals.  A couple of the lawyers even told him that's it's common knowledge that no citizen ever wins in their court.

So anyway, there doesn't need to be any law against it for you to go to be arrested and go to jail for it.  At the very least, you should retain a lawyer and count on going to jail before photographing any cop.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you have any idea how many folks videotape the police already? It's their big chance to score the big bucks from CNN.  

Dateline told me that in my incident SEVEN different people (with attorneys yet) contacted them about selling videotapes.

Go right ahead and knock yourself out. We know you are going to edit to reflect maximum shock value anyway.  Drives up the payoff.  (and gets really interesting when your  tape does not sync with the police vehicle videotape/audio.)

Just don't interfere with the officer or try and influence the arrestee.  Also, keep in mind that if you film a use of force or the crime committed,  you are now a witness and your tape is evidence.  Spending two weeks sitting in a court break area watching daytime TV while waiting to be called, might push you to consider other hobbies.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:34:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I guy I work with was just arrested for taking pictures of cops restraining his step kids.  The kids don't want to see their real father and the cops came to pick them up.  

He stood on his front porch, he didn't want to get any closer for fear of giving them an excuse to shoot him.  He had a baby in one arm and a camera in the other.  He was arrested and locked up for 24 hours.  They didn't charge him until the next week when he called the police chief and wanted to know why he was jailed.  When he said the magic word "sue" then he got charged.  He was told when his court date was, but not the charges.  He finally found out what the charges were when he went down to the court and talked to a few different people and made it known that he wouldn't leave until they told him what he was being charged with.  They are charging him with something they call "obstructing government business" and have promised he'll do 6 months for it and pay a $500 fine.

He's talked to a few lawyers and they tell him that what the cops did is illegal, and there's almost no way he can win.  He'll have to go to court, he'll lose and then do his 6 months while he appeals.  A couple of the lawyers even told him that's it's common knowledge that no citizen ever wins in their court.

So anyway, there doesn't need to be any law against it for you to go to be arrested and go to jail for it.  At the very least, you should retain a lawyer and count on going to jail before photographing any cop.

Do you make these whoppers up right on the spot, or do you rehearse first?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#6]
My younger bro works for the local PD.  All of their conversations on call outs are recorded via mobile recorder transmitter (from the officer to the car) and synch'd w/ dash cam. video / night cam.  In most instances the PD is already recording everything, granted the said event doesn't happen within eyeshot of the camera.  The audio recordings are recorded as long as they are within 500 feet of the car.  They have an outstanding (almost exemplary) conviction rate on most of their cases.   Glad to say we live in a good city with a good department (read: up with the times)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:53:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I understand that various video taped inter-actions with police and civilians have been discussed..

But specifically, are there ANY laws that forbid one from taping police involvement? Can a citizen be "ordered" to stop recording?

generally the answert is no and no. However, the normal rules don't apply when Federal/military installations are involved  

Can LEO's confiscate tapes?

Anyone?

Yes, as evidence. But the person who taped the "evidence" retains ownership. Unless of course the person was taping on restricted federal/military property. Then the tape belongs to the Govt. and the "owner" goes to jail.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:31:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes, I made it all up, and now there's a grand jury investigation of missing money at the jail where he was locked up.  I made up this web site and the story here as well:

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1136897.html

Any corruption in Mississippi county is just a figment of my imagination.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better call the County Health Department, that septic tank is full to the point of overflowing.

The actual story

Got arrested
Posted bail
Got stupid on the phone with the Police Chief
Went to Court

At each step he was told what he was arrested for, including a print out on the bail reciept.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:54:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Probably more like, Mother is actively engaging in PAS and refusing to let the non-custodial exercise his vistation rights. Step-dad causes more issues with the custody and was busted.

I say BS on the story.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I could care less if Joe Blow citizen wanted to tape me go right ahead.

But don't do it in a way that inferes with doing my job.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Taping a cop being an ass AFTER the "crime" in question is committed is not evidence relating to the crime.

It's evidence of the cop doing wrong and should therefore go to Internal Affairs.  I trust IA more then the beat cops, but I guess that doesn't say much.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:06:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better call the County Health Department, that septic tank is full to the point of overflowing.

The actual story

Got arrested
Posted bail
Got stupid on the phone with the Police Chief
Went to Court

At each step he was told what he was arrested for, including a print out on the bail reciept.

And each step in that series was complete and utter bullshit, if it was because he took pictures of a fucked up dad, who happens to have mastershield.

TXL
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I could care less if Joe Blow citizen wanted to tape me go right ahead.

But don't do it in a way that inferes with doing my job.

There's the rub.
Some wouldn't consider a citizen videotaping them from 100 yards away to be interfereing.
Others might.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top