Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/6/2006 8:49:51 AM EDT
Every morning whether I was hungry or not, I got a fried egg.  I held it in my mouth one day and spit it out on the way to the bus stop.  She saw me do it and I was the toast that went along with that egg.  

Then there were the Eddie Murphy type of fake hamburgers.  But she wasnt happy with just a patty. She had to put onions, eggs, and all sorts of shit into into making it into basically a meatloaf burger.  As a kid I just wanted a regular burger!

I appreciate her efforts but.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#1]
When I Was a kid, My mother made all sorts of things that at the time, I was too ignorant to really enjoy.. Now that I am older... I miss them all..

(0_o) Dan
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The weird food selections were more my fathers doing. We definitely ate according to what my dad liked when I was growing up.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#3]
lima beans!  and corn beef hash!  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#4]
She didnt really make me eat anything I didnt want too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Spam, Liver and Lima Beans.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Spinach
Barley soup
Eggplant

I still don't care for any of the above.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
lima beans!  and corn beef hash!  

corned beef hash is AWESOME,, good for SHTF
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Beans, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, stewed spinach, ...  

And I have never developed an appreciation for any of those things, even as an adult.  They are nasty and evil!  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't recall anthing my mom made that I didn't like.
She was an excellent cook.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Even when I was a kid I pretty much liked any kind of food.  We had a big garden and I loved lima beans, peas, broccoli...you name it I'll eat it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:01:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Asparagus, Italian beans, liver, all sorts o' nasty shit
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I can't recall anthing my mom made that I didn't like.
She was an excellent cook.

Amen, no complaints here. goood eats all around.

They ate Liver and onions, but we never "had" to. that shit was nasty man!!!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Anything that ain't Pop Tarts, Crunch Berries, Lucky Charms or chocolate pudding is just disgusting.  Still.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#14]
My mom has never made me eat anything I never wanted to eat.  People tried me to eat buttered bread once when I was a little deej86.  Butter=yuk!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#15]
for some reason, I remember always having to take spoonfuls of Cod Liver Oil.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That stuff is horribly nasty, but probably pretty good for you.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
She didnt really make me eat anything I didnt want too.

+1 I usually had to try whatever it was, but if I didnt like it, I didnt have to eat it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I really dont remember any crappy foods? all of it was satisfactory
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I hated pan fried liver. My parents would get steaks from my grandfathers holstein cows when they were butchered occasionally. My grampa never fattened them up before butchering so the steaks were always so tuff, I just hated eating it. I didn't like steak until my parents actually bought it from a store. My mother is an excellent cook so I ate very well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Nothing. I eat a much more wide variety of food than my mother does.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#21]
brussel sprouts
lima beans
salmon croquettes
cod liver oil

They all made me...  Then the Old Man would usually smack me around.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Mom never really had to "make" me eat anything, I was quite the garbage disposal as a kid.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Lima beans, brussel sprouts, chow mein and chick ala king.  I'm not sure why I don't like chicken ala king, but I just never grew to like it.  Same with chow mein.  I can't stand it to this day.

With brussel sprouts, I can stand neither the taste nor the smell of them.  Yuck.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#24]
My mom made a few looser meals when I was growing up but most were very tasty and filling. As an active (hungry) kid everything went down...even the weekly liver!! The only two bad enough to remember:

A casserole of some sort w/ cut up hotdogs on top which she managed to burn black in the oven. I was so hungry that night I downed two helpings despite how gross it was. Sadly both were projectile vomitted up in the early hours of the next morning all over the bedroom floor. On the bright side I was extra hungry for breakfast.

The other was pure industrial strength nasty. My mom was German and as such recalled those good meals she had as a child. One was liver ball soup. It took an entire day to make and the smell was way way beyond terrible. She ground up liver and somehow made them into 'meat' balls w/ some other ingredients which then stewed in 'juice' the rest of the day. By the time supper rolled around she KNEW she was in trouble. Having no fall back she broke out the best china hoping that a nice presentation would make up for the festering mess in the pot. I came home extra hungry that night and could only manage to gag down one bowl of the stuff. In the end everyone agreed that they had had enough and the LOs needed to be disposed of another way. So out they went to the dog...who sniffed it and ran away for a couple days. In the end she could laugh about it but not until she had a good cry. You know the meal is a flop of the dog turns it down.

ETA: My parents were 'old school' and whatever was served up for a meal you ate....NO discussion. I made the best of a bad situation and learn to like most anything.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Liver. Hate it to this day.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Beans, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, stewed spinach, ...  

And I have never developed an appreciation for any of those things, even as an adult. They are nasty and evil!

+1 Anything green was disgusting!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The weird food selections were more my fathers doing. We definitely ate according to what my dad liked when I was growing up.

Yep.

Fried Spam
Quiche
SOS
Brussel Sprouts
Greens

Blech.

Stuffed cabbage
Fried squash
sweet potato
lima beans
liver
goats milk
It was pretty limited fare. My dad used to give my mom $20 to go to the store and it was expected to last 3 ( later 4 ) of us for a week. I think he seriously had no grasp on what food prices were after a while, from never going shopping himself. I remember when he would also give her $5 at a time to fill the tank, long after $5 wouldn't even come close to filling it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#29]
It was more my dad, and it was "healthy" food.  The peanut butter you have to stir the oil into; rice cakes; "Fruit O's" like Fruit Loops only they were sweetened with natural fruit juice (I could have 1 sugar-type cereal per year!); sesame butter; rock-hard bread with huge chunks of shit in them; hot barely cereal; brown rice; pancakes made from non-refined buckwheat flour = gray & very dense; on and on and on....

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Me too.  What exactly are the health benefits of that crap, anyway??????
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#31]
My mother used to cook greens, cabbage and turnips. Thank God she didn't make me eat it though. That stuff smelled so much like crap we'd have flies swarming our windows. Those guys know their shit too, and they were trying to get out!

Ed
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Beets.  Spinach, liver, brussels sprouts.  And that nasty jellied cranberry stuff at Thanksgiving.  Not like we didn't eat healthy, we'd eat all the carrots, beans, salad stuff, etc. Plus all the fruit we could hold, we just had to force down the bad stuff too.

But I had a stay at home mom, a rare commodity these days.  Parents just celebrated their 33rd anniversary.  I also got homemade cookies, cakes, sweet rolls, etc.  My parents actually did stuff with us.  I appreciate it more now then I did then.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Mom never really had to "make" me eat anything, I was quite the garbage disposal as a kid.  

Me too.  But I still remember the liver and onions as not being on the preferred diner list.

HamburgerHelper, Something about the older versions, or maybe she just didn't mix everything and left seasoning chunks.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#34]
My Mom only served me good stuff, or stuff that seemed good to her.  Healthy foods, vegetables, lean meats, etc, etc.  I guess I was lucky, I like almost everything edible (insert joke here).  My brother hated that stuff, wouldn't eat it and wound up eating junk food as soon as he was old enough to get out of the house.  He's now in horrible health, can barely walk a quarter of a mile and has all kinds of health problems.  On the other hand I'm a freakin ape, I don't get sick and I can outwork and outplay a lot of guys that are half my age.

You may have hated it as a kid, but eating all the lean meats, brocolli and spinach pays off in the long run.

Popeye was right!  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Consider this:  When was the last time you saw a sick cod?  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#36]
babies. ugh
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#37]
While Dad was on travel for 3+wks at a time (cruising the Med or Pacific on various ships doing sonar testing) two or three times a year, Mom would make an awful lot of 'shit on a shingle' and tuna patties towards the end because she couldnt deposit his paychecks and refused to tap into our college funds.

Dad also loves brussel sprouts, Mom refused to cook them (except one time on his birthday when I was ~20; my brother, Mom and I couldnt even choke down a single one each, but Dad ate like 12 of them), but whenever Mom went to visit Grandma or my Aunt for long periods, Dad got to make his brussel sprouts at least once and wondered why my brother and I would rather skip dinner than clean our plates.

The same thing happened with asparagus, Mom loved it, but Dad, my brother and I hated it, I would only eat one stalk each time it was served, so I could get dessert (and then only if it was a damn good dessert). Dad never learned to bribe us with dessert if we ate just one brussel sprout.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Okra and fucking Wax Beans!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Crook Pots and Casserole dishes were the scourg of my childhood.

I realy just don't enjoy most any meat that is boiled for 6 hours.  I often wondered what the brown soggy chunk of something with some green goo was, now I know it was beef with green goo.  Sometimes it didn't taste bad, but most of the time I would have enjoyed a simple steak with A1 that spent a few minutes on the grill or even the oven.

Casseroles, good friggen lord, if was safe for human consumption(or not), it found its way into a dish with everything else in the fridge.  I know the stuff all mixes in my stomach, but jeez, it taste better seperate.  I do admit that sometimes what came out of the oven tasted pretty damn good, but knowing that 95% of the time you were eating something that only existed on some webpage was like being tortured at the dinner table.
I luv u MoM
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Stripples.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Only thing I can think of is hominy corn. Yuck.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#42]
For breakfast it was always a g*( damned pop tart.

I ate so many pop tarts, that I could have filled a wal-mart.

I don't eat Pop-Tarts.  Haven't had one in 10 years. I refuse to eat those things.

She would only make chicken or steak.  I wasn't even introducted to Thai/Chinese/Japanese food till I was almost 19.

Damn pan-fried dumplings are good.  And anything Thai.  I love asian food.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Poorly sauteed red onions and chard.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Goddamn rutabagas.  And squash. And boiled okra. I didn't eat any of that crap.  Nowadays I will eat some stuff I don't like just to prove what a manly man I am. Not that shit.  

Mom was really a good cook.  I just don't like the above no matter how you might cook it. I like fried okra.

Hell, once me and my coz that lived across the street snuck out his dads 22 and shot a squirrel. We couldn't have been more than 10 & 11 or 11 & 12.  In the woods behind our neighborhood !! Anyway we come bringing this poor shot up squirrel up to the house and mom told us how to clean and skin it and she cooked it for us and me and Allen ate the damn thing right then.   Another time we killed a bullfrog with my BB gun and brought it home and she fried up the legs for us and we ate them. 2 frog legs ain't much but a couple of kids don't know any better.

Pretty cool, huh ?

RIP mom

rj
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#45]
When Ma cooked, it was passable.

When Pa cooked, WOW! That's when the good stuff started coming off the stove.

Ma used to try force veggies and oatmeal on us, We'd eat it and shut up.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#46]
My mom was a good cook…when she wanted to be.

Mostly she was so disorganized, everything she cooked was underdone and greasy.  My dad used to fish and she would prepare the fish by cooking it with the bones still in the fillets.  By the time you picked out the bones, the fish was cold.

She made me mac and cheese once and I got so sick I had to be hospitalized.  You never know how  your stomach muscles can ache until you have had the dry heaves for three hours.  It took me 20 years to ever try mac and cheese again.

I could go on, but I just ate.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Anything that ain't Pop Tarts, Crunch Berries, Lucky Charms or chocolate pudding is just disgusting.  Still.  

Dude how do you stay so skinny

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or even better........a sick Cod w/ Liver Problems?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Brussels Sprouts.

-K
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#49]
I grew up on a farm and for a while money was very tight. We used to butcher our own livestock for meat so I've eaten pretty much every part of an animal that it's possible to eat (with the exception of "mountain/prarie oysters").

Tongue, tripe (lungs), heart, brains (I think my mother may have been going through a zombie phase for a while, but she got better), liver, kidneys, etc. I've never been able to touch offal since then unless it's mixed in with something else, and I still have reservations about steak & kidney pie.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I think I'd rather take the sickness than drink that stuff again!  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top