Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 2:58:03 PM EDT
Well, the B/F shot a couple deer and wants to make up a bunch of venison sausage homemade.  All of the sausage making kits we looked at (regardless of the flavor) contain MSG.  I'm allergic to MSG.  I've never made sausage before but I'm willing to try my hand at anything new when it comes to the kitchen.

Question #1:  Is MSG a vital ingredient in sausage making?
Question #2:  If it is vital to the recipe.  Why?
Question #3:  If it is not...here are my other questions.

3a:  How does it taste?  How long does it keep?  Do I need to freeze it if there's no MSG in it?  What is the best method for storage and preservation?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#1]
MSG makes any food more flavorfull... but its not needed..

www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sausage+recipes&spell=1
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
My grandfather's secret recipe for sauasge:

Salt.

And

Pepper.

YMMV

Of course you may wish to add some pork fat to the deer meat. Sauasge should be about 50% fat or it gets pretty dry.

Cabella's has some great sausage making/ meat processing stuff.

efxguy

ETA: MSG is for asian food, not sauage. Though there are nitrate to add to help dreid sauages keep better....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#3]
His favorite is summer sausage.  I'd like to make something like that with venison/beef/pork.   What's the best meat to mix in with the venison?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Leave the MSG out if you wish, not needed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
His favorite is summer sausage.  I'd like to make something like that with venison/beef/pork.   What's the best meat to mix in with the venison?

Pork fat tastes best.  Duck fat is awsome, but hard to get or work with. Beef fat adds no real flavor.

BTW, getting one of those Food Saver vacuum thingies is great! Vaccum them sauages up in one pound pack and freeze them. They'll keep well a long time....

One last thing, salt helps preserve the food. Add a bit more than you think. And MSG is really just a type of salt, as are nitrates.

Read: Salt a World History

efxguy

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the tip.  Are you using plain Morton salt, coarse kosher salt, what kind for sausage?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]
you want non-iodized salt IIRC
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I helped my cousin make some summer sausage about a month ago, I don't remember his recipe, and I don't know if he would give it to me but there was no MSG is it. He doesn't use straight fat either, in a 50# batch, he grinds up a couple of large pork roasts and mixes it in. Salt, pepper, mustard seed, and a  gallon jar of jalapenos....  then about 8 hours in the smoker and it is great.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Heck yeah you can leave the stinking MSG out.  Who needs that crap?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Guys, heres a great recipe for summer sausage.....

Enjoy

2 pounds of hamburger or ground chuck(I use 1 pound venison and 1 pound ground chuck it holds togther better)

2 tablespoons of Tender Quick salt

1/4 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon liquid smoke

1 tablespoon mustard seed

1 tablespoon peppercorns or black pepper

3/4 cup water

Mix all ingredients togther and kneed for about 5 minutes.
Place in a covered bowl and refrigerate overnight. Make into 3 rolls. Roll in Worcestershire sauce for 20 or 30 minutes. Bake in a 250 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours. Bake on a wire rack sitting in a cookie sheet to catch the drippings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top