Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 1:16:36 PM EDT
Call my credit card company since I didnt ger my bill again, last month went to wrong address, this month they had correct address and I didnt get it.  So they are charging me the late fee and intreest again, got them to waive it last time, and now they are giving me a problem, had to get back to work before I could get it taken care of.

So if I run up the card and never pay, what can they really do?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Mess up your credit
2. Sue you
3. wage garnishment
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
if it is capital one they will come after you.
they are trying to get 3000 out of a guy i work with that is about 4-5 years ago.

been served by the sheriff office.and is talking to alwyer about it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
1. Mess up your credit
2. Sue you
3. wage garnishment

Well I got the credit thing already, collection place calls, and I cuss them out, or tell them Im dead.  

I dont really own anything
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
they are trying to get 3000 out of a guy i work with that is about 4-5 years ago.

HSBC.

I feel I will be calling tonight or tomorrow and having to "speak to the big man"
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I see they hired the barbarians....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#6]
This tactic ALWAYS works:

Just call customer service and say you still see the interest and late fees on there.  Tell them last time you called they said they would take it off since the error was on their end.

Sometimes it takes two or three calls.  Calling at night means you will get the less competent employees on the 24 hour line as well.

Just keep saying last time you called they said it would be off.  They never will call you a liar.  Trust me, this works.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just call customer service and say you still see the interest and late fees on there.  Tell them last time you called they said they would take it off since the error was on their end.

Sometimes it takes two or three calls.  Calling at night means you will get the less competent employees on the 24 hour line as well.

Just keep saying last time you called they said it would be off.  They never will call you a liar.  Trust me, this works.

Also going to need to threaten to cancel, I dont really need this card anyway since the 0% interest is up on it
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also going to need to threaten to cancel, I dont really need this card anyway since the 0% interest is up on it

Save the threats.  Being nice and acting all innocent usually will work better.  Gee guys you said it would be taken off and its still there.  They just think the last dumbass you talked to didn't do it right.

What do they pay the people at the call centers?  Oh yea just above minimum wage
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What do they pay the people at the call centers?  Oh yea just above minimum wage

Depends the one I work at pays ok.  

Speaking to manager seems to help in these cases
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Save the threats.  Being nice and acting all innocent usually will work better.  Gee guys you said it would be taken off and its still there.  They just think the last dumbass you talked to didn't do it right.

wife makes about  $17 a hr.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are going to ruin your credit, do it for at least 50k.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

When I properly plan and commit to my credit burn it will be a good one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok called them up, had to get the big man on the phone but they credited it
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]
The best tactic I've ever found in dealing with corporate stuff, is to start writing letters and sending them REGISTERED. This does 2 things: It lets them know you are keeping a paper trail (in case you need a lawyer), and it gets the complaint out of those already-mentioned barely-minimum-wage sofa spuds who seem to clutter up business offices these days, and into the hands of someone who REALLY has the training and authority to do something about it. (The registered letter goes straight to THE MAN from the mail room.)  This has worked for me several times, most recently with the PRK Dept. of Motor Vehicles. I'd donated a non-running car, they lost the p/w, and started charging me delinquent fees on the registration. After 2 letters (non-registered), I send a registered letter, with copies of the first 2 letters AND the bill of sale from the guy who towed my car, AND a demand for arbitration. 2 weeks later I got a letter back from someone who actually had a TITLE within the DMV, saying the matter was cleared up, I wouldn't get stuck with legal action, garnishment, etc. etc. ad nauseum, and sorry this got so screwed up.

Try it. It costs about 5 bucks or so.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Also sounds like you need to get registered with their internet site for managing your account.  I don't like paper statements anymore - especially if I have to depend on the USPS to deliver them to me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:37:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I am surprised someone hasn't piped up to say that you should have six months of salary in the bank like they do, and that you are living beyond your means.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:52:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Good God man....

DONT FUCK WITH YOUR CREDIT HISTORY!!!!

Even if your statement does not come, you should call the 800#, get the payment address, and send in a check.

Dont they have a website to pay the thing online???

This is the kind of thing you dont want to fuck with...

So I'm gonna say it again...

DONT FUCK WITH YOUR CREDIT HISTORY!!!!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:19:13 AM EDT
[#18]

already-mentioned barely-minimum-wage sofa spuds who seem to clutter up business offices these days

They don't make crap, so you can't expect crap from them!  A former customer of ours had over 300 employees that did a combination of handling credit card CS calls for a bank that's HQ'd in Charlotte and also did outgoing telemarketing calls when the incoming calls were lighter.  Their employees made exactly minimum wage, but were charged fees for a locker, coffee, break room, phone headset, and were fined if they didn't handle enough calls.  I think they ended-up making about $4.50/hour after all of the BS.  They were based out of a nice office building that cost $750/1k sq ft space per month.  They went out of business within two years since they couldn't keep enough employees to handle their incoming calls.  The owner never would admit he wasn't paying enough.  He thought that working in a nice building with nice office furniture would make-up for the 4.50/hour pay.

Taxman, not sending bills is a very old trick.  We have nine cards with Bank of America.  I have not received a bill from them in over two years.  I have to call each time and get them to read-out the charges.  It's a huge pain in the neck, and it's harder to keep-up with fraud.  We have a few Chase M/C cards, and we receive the bills about half the time.  Of course we receive each and every American Express bill.  AmEx doesn't play those idiotic games like many of the Visa and M/C banks.  Get an AmEx card.  They cost money per year, but they are worth every penny.  I'm cheap, but I still pay the fees and have for over 35 years.z
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:36:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
1. Mess up your credit
2. Sue you
3. wage garnishment

Don't forget "Steal your children".

Credit cards are nothing more than legal usury. The people who run credit card companies only care about getting their money. If it was allowable to bust your knees with a baseball bat to get your money, they would do it in a heartbeat.

Never underestimate the lengths they will go to.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:14:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

My soon to be ex wife must have listened to you.

She is at $40K + and still going. I think she may make it to $50K.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:39:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Credit card companies do their best to get late fees and interest out of you through screw-ups like this.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I am surprised someone hasn't piped up to say that you should have six months of salary in the bank like they do, and that you are living beyond your means.

Well  I do have that, but I use to CC to make it one bill and if needed I can dispute, I also get 1% on purchases

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Why not go to your card website and sign up to get your statement online?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Why not go to your card website and sign up to get your statement online?

I dont check stuff like that like I do mail, paper copy is on the desk and I remember it
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Dont be an ass on the phone,as a person who used to talk to pissed of customers,being an asshole will not help you any,
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Dont be an ass on the phone,as a person who used to talk to pissed of customers,being an asshole will not help you any,

Im not an asshole until I have to be on the phone, sometimes it helps too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#28]
 I am damn glad I don't deal with those blood suckers anymore .
Insurance salesman and politicians are bad enough .
When I did use a credit card I always made sure to use one from a local bank .
I would just go down to the local branch and make the payment .
nothing to get lost in the mail or anything .

I haven't had a balance or even used a credit card for at least 4 years .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top