OpenGL: OpenGL 2.0
PixelPipelines: 12
TV-Out: S-Video Out
VIVO: No

$189 (after $40 rebate)

The Asus is a 512MB card while the PNY is 256MB
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Strangely enough it appears to me that the 512 gets a lower memory interface, while the 256 gets a higher one, also the 256's Memory Clock is much higher.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:53:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Strangely enough it appears to me that the 512 gets a lower memory interface, while the 256 gets a higher one, also the 256's Memory Clock is much higher.

Thats what I was noticing.  Is it better to have double the memory or for faster interface and memory clock speed?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I would rather have a 256 bit mem intfc. and faster mem clocks.

should be the faster of the 2.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone else have an opinion?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Get the 256.

edited to add:  why are you getting an AGP board?  I hope your MB has the balls to feed that video card.  You might consider a MB upgrade w/ PCI-E.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Dude, the 6800GS 256 is the AGP card to buy right now.

Don't even look at that first card the GS is SOOO much better.

Amazing they are the same price even with the 512 megs of ram on the crappy card!

That card can't evn take advantage of 256megs of video memory, why the hell would they even bother to put 512 megs on it!?

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a 6800 Ultra AGP card I am trying to get rid of on the EE you know

Out of those two - the GS.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd buy his Ultra if I was you.

Surely he selling it for a going rate and not the bloated rate those cards always commanded.(if he wants to really get rid of it that is)
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#9]

If at all possible, go PCI-Express.

the AGP path is dead.  Even the least expensive PCIE cards smoke 'hi-end' AGP.

That is, only if upgrading your mobo is a viable alternative.

But between the two below, the PNY card is the better choice b/c it supports OpenGL 2.0 (only matters if you're a gamer)
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

But between the two below, the PNY card is the better choice b/c it supports OpenGL 2.0 (only matters if you're a gamer)

I don't see what the big stink is trying to get another year or two out of the latest agp machines.

Hell my AGP machine smokes anything that's not a 7800GT+/x1800XT+ videocard and those are still pretty new cards.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see what the big stink is trying to get another year or two out of the latest agp machines.

Hell my AGP machine smokes anything that's not a 7800GT+/x1800XT+ videocard and those are still pretty new cards.

Thats exactly what I'm doing.  I'm gonna get a year or two out of this board before I go to a dual-core Athon
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats exactly what I'm doing.  I'm gonna get a year or two out of this board before I go to a dual-core Athon

Good idea, Better than blowing all the money on a current s939 board, by the time you do the big upgrade AMD will have their new socket out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good idea, Better than blowing all the money on a current s939 board, by the time you do the big upgrade AMD will have their new socket out.

Exactly.

As soon as the start actually writing apps for dual-core processors on a mass scale, the quad core processors will be out anyways.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Get the 256, it has better RAM which allows for it's higher speed and performance.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The full potential of the PCI-e hasn't even been scratched yet, right now the PCI-e is pretty much even with AGP.   Not many AGP cards being made anymore so it's about time to switch over to the PCI-e architechure.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I think you mean switch over to PCI-E on your next BUILD.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think you mean switch over to PCI-E on your next BUILD.

Yup
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top