Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 5:43:49 AM EDT
I noticed that all barrels have a right hand twist, Is there such a thing as a left hand twist?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You're supposed to get a left-hand twist rifle bore if you are left handed.

- rem
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#2]
If the twist goes the other way, instead of the bullet disintegrating when it hits something, it turns into a black hole.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:56:37 AM EDT
[#3]
If barrels had left hand twists the direction of earths rotation would slowly start to reverse....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I noticed that all barrels have a right hand twist, Is there such a thing as a left hand twist?

I think guns in the southern hemisphere have left hand twist.  I remember someone asked this same question 3 or 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think guns in the southern hemisphere have left hand twist.  I remember someone asked this same question 3 or 4 years ago.

yup and all barrels at the equator are smoothbore
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:01:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and at the north pole it goes from rifled/smooth/rifled/smooth, you know, for accuracy and stuff
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#7]
at the poles they have forward twist at the north pole and backwards twist at the south pole
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:03:47 AM EDT
[#8]
you are all fucking clowns bastards
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:06:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#10]
the reason they have right hand twist is to keep barrels from unscrewing themselves, not a big deal on an AR but on 99% of everything else out there it is.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the reason they have right hand twist is to keep barrels from unscrewing themselves, not a big deal on an AR but on 99% of everything else out there it is.

now that would make sense or be plausible
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:26:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats right, most barrels are threaded on with a right hand thread, so the barrel has a right hand twist so the bullet rotates in the direction the barrel tightens, otherwise it could shoot loose.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I would think it would have more to do with the manufacturers of the machines who do the rifling. I would say the RH twist is an industry standard.

As for shooting the barrel loose, all you would have to do is cut LH threads on the barrel and reciever. Once again, just an industry standard, no need to chage the mfg process.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted: I would think it would have more to do with the manufacturers of the machines who do the rifling. I would say the RH twist is an industry standard. As for shooting the barrel loose, all you would have to do is cut LH threads on the barrel and reciever. Once again, just an industry standard, no need to chage the mfg process.
Ah, laziness. The true reason behind every American breakthrough and advantage.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Most 1911 pistols have a LH twist.

If the barrel threads were RH and the barrel was RH twist rifling,
the bullet is twisting in the same direction to unscrew the barrel.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I need to check my 1911 but then again I never really looked for it
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:10:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought some HK's have a LH twist.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Ever look at an Enfield?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

you're thinking about it the wrong way, the barrel will have to accellerate the bullet to the right, causing the barrel to want to twist left.(from the shooters point of view)  now looking at it from the other end, that is actually tightening the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 for the CLOWNS but they are good CLOWNS
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you're thinking about it the wrong way, the barrel will have to accellerate the bullet to the right, causing the barrel to want to twist left.(from the shooters point of view)  now looking at it from the other end, that is actually tightening the barrel.

It is the same as a thread on suppressor working it's way
off a barrel that has RH threads.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top