Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 5:15:51 AM EDT

Does anyone know what this bug is and how it got here? I've found at least 5-6 over a span of 6 months either dead on the carpet, or just crawling around.

SOmeone said it was a bug found in really moist areas. I have a Walmart thermometer and humidity meter and it shows 75% humidity. I'm not sure if its relative or absolute humidity.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:17:13 AM EDT
[#1]
We call 'em Sowbugs or Roly-Polys down here. When you bother them they roll up into a ball.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:21:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow it looks like they're a relative of the pillbug.
This guy didn't roll up into a ball though. The interw3b says they're just a nuisance and aren't harmful.

I thought they resembled trilobytes...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
OH MY GOD!

That's a poisonous Brazilian Potato Bug!

They only come out into the open when they have established their colony within the walls of the house, and a colony numbers anywhere between 4-5 hundred billion bugs.

GET OUT OF THE HOUSE NOW!

you buying it? didn't think so ........

As you may have guessed, I have no idea what kind of bug that is,  but it does look like what we call armadillo bug except yours has antenae.

?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#4]
GAAAK, one nice thing about Alaska, hardly any bugs compared to down states.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Rolypoly is right.  Totally harmless.  Used to play with them as a kid.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:38:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Kill it with fire!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#7]
They have been known to crawl into your pee-pee at night, causing extreme discomfort put weiner in vise and crush ( quit a ¼ of a turn before it splits) do it NOW as no other cure is known
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#8]
harmless
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Just fucking eat it and be done with it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Make an appointment @ the local clinic & kick your gf to the curb.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#11]
we used to shoot the little ones out of BB guns against brick walls

SPLAT

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't know what that is but it doesn't look like the roly-polys I grew up playing with.  Maybe it's just the picture that is distorting it but these are what I know as roly-polys:

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Some web research seems to indicate that sowbugs can't roll up but pillbugs can and they are frequently mistaken for each other.  Sowbugs are flatter, and are probably what the OP has pictured.  They are supposedly land based crustaceans with gills(hence the preferring of damp areas).  They're also supposedly harmless unless in great numbers(and then a nuisance to gardens and such) and good a breaking down dead plant matter.

Seems that dropping your humidity levels would be the best pest control for these little guys.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#14]
nuke from outer space
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#15]
in alabama those things can get up to 6 fleet in length and weigh 4 or 500 lbs..
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#16]
It's a woodlouse.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#17]
isopod, pillbug, etc.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah  it is a pill bug. There are several differnt species. I have seen the kind you have, and they are wierder looking. There are several types though, and they are generally in different regions. And I think they ARE distant relatives of the trilobyte.

Man - if you ask me, the FREAKEST place I could imagine is snorkleing in a pre-cambrian sea. Imagine EVERY critter looking like a gawddamn alien!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#19]
We have those and the regular "ball bugs" here in Mo.  Those Sow Bugs aren't as fun to play with, because you can't roll them like ball bugs. I used to walk around with jars containing a lot of them when I was a kid.
 One time I was running in to go to the bathroom and tripped, which caused my jar to fall and break. I was crying, and my parents came running to see if I was hurt. (They heard the glass break). When asked if I was hurt, I said "No, but my ball bugs are getting away!" They were going across the room, and up two walls.

After that, I was encouraged to leave my bugs outside.

(It only got worse though, because in my teens my pet snakes would get out, and sometimes the mice I was raising as snake food would escape too. I only had one snake that was never recovered though. It was a 3 to 3.5 foot Prairie King Snake).
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Here it is grown up:

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
www.redpulsar.us/~coldfusion/ARFCOM/bug.jpg

Does anyone know what this bug is and how it got here? I've found at least 5-6 over a span of 6 months either dead on the carpet, or just crawling around.

SOmeone said it was a bug found in really moist areas. I have a Walmart thermometer and humidity meter and it shows 75% humidity. I'm not sure if its relative or absolute humidity.

Awe, that's nothing.  I have these running around my place.  These freak me out and that's hard to do.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Bug Experts - Need Help ID'ing this thing

I believe DrFrige is the resident expert. Furthermore, I have also been lead to believe his forte is spiders. So, henceforth, launch all enquiries to DrFrige with enlarged .jpg's.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#23]
They make great snacks,

for the cat
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
They make great snacks,
Really, I got in trouble as a little kid for eating them! very crunchy! LOL!

for the cat

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#25]
DRAW DOWN!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top