Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/4/2006 8:58:16 PM EDT
No argument for 1 side or the other, but myself I really don't see anything exccessive by the police, besides a typical attitude.
no big thing really but it's a big controversy in that region. The guy supposedly had a bad back and couldn't put his hands behind his back.

www.wchstv.com/newsroom/eyewitness/0602/060203-1.shtml

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like he was wrong to me, but why are the cops always afraid of cameras?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No argument for 1 side or the other, but myself I really don't see anything exccessive by the police, besides a typical attitude.
no big thing really but it's a big controversy in that region. The guy supposedly had a bad back and couldn't put his hands behind his back.

www.wchstv.com/newsroom/eyewitness/0602/060203-1.shtml

BASKETBALL GAME FAN ARRESTED
Video of the Arrest Creates Shockwaves
Sabine Boggs
Videographer: Unknown
Web Producer: Dick Canter
February 3, 2006

The basketball rivalry between Logan and Westside draws thousands.

Fans say it's one of the most exciting games to watch in Logan County. That excitement reached a new level this past Saturday as a Logan fan and local police went head-to-head.

Two video cameras intended for recording the Logan-Westside game captured a scuffle, but it wasn't the wildcats that went a little wild.

It was the fourth quarter of the JV contest. The focus shifted from the court to the bleachers.

James Smith, the man in yellow is being arrested after police say he refused to move out of a seat that wasn't his.

Benny Eplin sat just a few feet away from the scuffle.

Benny Eplin, fan: "If he just would have got up, everything would be fine."

The argument grew louder. Police say they asked Smith to leave over and over, but he refused. In the video, you can see him climbing over the rail. Police say they had already told him he was under arrest. Some witnesses say he was just trying to move away from the reserve seating.

James Smith: "My back is broke. I didn't resist you."

Several unsuccessful attempts to handcuff Smith result in the next option--pepper spray. People around the scene can be heard coughing.

David White, Logan Police Chief: "We try not to use it, affects everyone."

State Delegate Richard Browning says this is not good police work.

Del. Richard Browning, (D-Wyoming): "He needs to get his police department under control."

The JV game, along with the varsity contest, was called after the disruption.

The Superintendent of Logan County Schools has banned James Smith from any school activities.

David White, Logan Police Chief: "Until we receive an official complaint, we won't investigate just because of video and what was perceived."

Sabine Boggs reporting.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It looks like he was wrong to me, but why are the cops always afraid of cameras?

Because there's always a liberal behind it trying to screw a cop.  Why else was it being filmed?

And YES, this is resisting arrest.  Not only is he stiff arming them, but he's pulling in different directions.  Almost passive aggressive resisting arrest, but RA none-the-less.  If he's not going where they want him to go and he's physically resisting them, the PO's are right.

The PO's ARE RIGHT!

PS. Its also nice to see that we don't get any of the perp's bad conduct on tape that lead to the arrest.  Very Rodney King like.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Because there's always a liberal behind it trying to screw a cop.

If filming the cop gets the cop in trouble, don't you have a problem with what the cop is doing in the first place?  If the cops would stop breaking the law, then they wouldn't have so much trouble with people that record their actions.z
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
You know, 99% of problems can be solved through reasonable conversation.

If the guy had gotten up and gone somewhere private and chatted normally with the cops, odds are nothing would have happened. If he had been found in the right, they probably would've taken him back to his seat.

Everything has to be a passive-aggressive confrontation these days.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#6]
to chime in on 1 more thing, again I don't see anything excessive with the police but a lot of police seem quick to use mace, which in some cases causes a bigger overall situation, and bigger point being it seems to have limited effect a lot of times. Seems it does a lot to piss a lot of people off
rather than calming them down, seems people are maced and they start resisting a lot more because of the discomfort.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Guy acts like a complete asshole.

Refuses multiple legitimate orders by cops for him to move himself from a seat that belongs to someone else.

Physically resists arrest, grabs the cops arms and pulls and pushes the cops who are trying to move him.

THEN the fatfuck asshole starts crying about his bad back - yeah well fuck you asshole!

No one gives a shit about your fucking "bad back". Maybe if you didn't act like such a dick and maybe if you didn't steal other people's seats and maybe if you didn't fight with cops telling you to move your shitheaded self when you're in a seat that isn't yours, MAYBE you wouldn't have to cry about how getting handcuffed hurts your poor little "bad back" you dumbfucking dickhead!

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I pepper-sprayed my face once while under the influence just to get a feel for it. It didn't dibilitate me at all.  In fact, the pain gave me an adrenaline rush, and I started doing as many pushups as I could to take my mind off the pain.  I didn't breath it in or get it in my eyes though.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:22:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Because there's always a liberal behind it trying to screw a cop.

If filming the cop gets the cop in trouble, don't you have a problem with what the cop is doing in the first place?  If the cops would stop breaking the law, then they wouldn't have so much trouble with people that record their actions.z

You do realize that the final verdict in the Rodney King case was that only the final 17 seconds was excessive.  Up to that point he was resisting. Remember how long that was total?  the press made it out to be the entire arrest.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:01:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No one gives a shit about your fucking "bad back". Maybe if you didn't act like such a dick and maybe if you didn't steal other people's seats and maybe if you didn't fight with cops telling you to move your shitheaded self when you're in a seat that isn't yours, MAYBE you wouldn't have to cry about how getting handcuffed hurts your poor little "bad back" you dumbfucking dickhead!

1. I think you need to go watch that part again to get a full understanding and comprehend what is going on - he had a broke back....which when repaired/fused makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible to put your hands behind your back...

2. we were not there - what if he was in the proper seat all along?  we only see video after negotiations fail....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:00:52 AM EDT
[#11]
It's almost "passive resistance". Anybody can tense up and purposely resist with out being violent while saying "I'm not resisting". I know because I've had a similar situation.

The cameraman was too close and interfering, often cameras are a source of instigation for a unruley ass nacho. The other guy was close but was trying to tell fat ass to "go with it", therefor helping.

Either way, looks like the camera didn't get the part where tubby was probably asked to leave first. Cops did nothing wrong as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:34:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I pepper-sprayed my face once while under the influence just to get a feel for it. It didn't dibilitate me at all.  In fact, the pain gave me an adrenaline rush, and I started doing as many pushups as I could to take my mind off the pain.  I didn't breath it in or get it in my eyes though.

Definitely, don't inhale!

A friend tried the same shit but got some in his lungs and eyes. Not a pretty scene.

ETA- "thing's work differently down here in logan." -typical fuck you attitude presented by young cops. What the hell are they training these guys.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:36:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Even if his back has been broken, he is capable of moving his arms to the rear to some degree (as evidence by the video).  Keep your arms there if told to do so and the officers will link two sets of cuff together if needed.  

Because there's always a liberal behind it trying to screw a cop. Why else was it being filmed?

- so the camera holder can get a nice paycheck for filming "police brutality".

again I don't see anything excessive with the police but a lot of police seem quick to use mace
- Depends on how the department's use of force continum is set up.  Some departments prefer having OC used prior to an officer going hands on with a suspect. Probably the case here.

All in all, I dont see anything wrong with the video
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Even if his back has been broken, he is capable of moving his arms to the rear to some degree (as evidence by the video).  Keep your arms there if told to do so and the officers will link two sets of cuff together if needed.  

Because there's always a liberal behind it trying to screw a cop. Why else was it being filmed?

again I don't see anything excessive with the police but a lot of police seem quick to use mace
- Depends on how the department's use of force continum is set up.  Some departments prefer having OC used prior to an officer going hands on with a suspect. Probably the case here.

Yeah, the guy had it coming, but the cop did display a holier-than-thou attitude that seems to be all too pervasive among cops. Cops defend this attitude to a T and then wonder why you get no respect.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:53:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, the guy had it coming, but the cop did display a holier-than-thou attitude that seems to be all too pervasive among cops. Cops defend this attitude to a T and then wonder why you get no respect.

Which cop displayed an attitude?  I only watched it long enough to see them taking the guy into custody (trying to watch the UFC from last night)
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:56:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Junior Varsity???

Like 8th 9th grade ball?

You're telling me they are selling reserved bleacher spots for middle/high school sports?

That would be charging parents to see their own kids play, and then dictating where they sit... so tell me....

who's side should we be on here?

This isn't a Rolling Stones concert.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:02:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which cop displayed an attitude?  I only watched it long enough to see them taking the guy into custody (trying to watch the UFC from last night)

Right at the end, the whippersnapper cop was asking the cameraman where he lived and what his name was, and told him that things work differently down here in Logan.  I guess the cops have special rights not to be videotaped or something, down there. No biggie, just displays the what I feel to be the pervasive use of intimidation  by cops to back down us sheeple.

ETA- I was once talking to a friend and a trooper just out of the academy came sauntering up to us and demanded in an overpowering tone-" Who is *****, and what is his real name?"

I told him to mind his own fucking business. It turned into a shouting match, I guess from what I have been reading lately, I am lucky I am not dead.

We had civil conversations after that, and I will show respect to police who deserve it, but I don't feel that we all need to bow down to them and answer any question asked for no reason.

I also was almost arrested for telling a person to ask for a lawyer, who was being cornered and threatened by said trooper for information that had nothing to do with him and he didn't know.

The whole town ended up hating this cop, even had a town meeting about his actions.

Why is it sooo fucking hard to show a little respect to the people that you are supposed to "protect and serve" while doing your job?

And YES I know most cops are underpayed and all that crap, but come on. Treat people like you would want to be treated.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:07:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Not only did the JBT lay his hands on the spectator immediately...

but he then blasted his partner right in the kisser with pepper spray.

This cop needs to be OFF the force. He's the type that gets people killed... might be an innocent, might be his own partner. He has no self control or restraint and obviously very little in the way of good judgement.

The spectator could well have been an asshole, he does look like one, but thats not a valid reason to essentially disable your partner while inciting a riot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:16:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Hmmmmm, hope the good people of Logan county don't get overly fired up at the state again. Last time they decided the state was a problem, there was a bit of a mess.

The assassination of Matewan Massacre defendants Sid Hatfield and Ed Chambers in August 1921 brought the West Virginia Mine Wars to a frenzied crescendo. Outraged coal miners marched South from the Kanawha Valley by the thousands, determined to end the nonunion regime in Logan and Mingo. They were intercepted by Logan Sheriff Don Chafin, an infamous figure in union history. Chafin's men met the miners along a broad defensive front just inside the northern Logan border, and The Battle of Blair Mountain began. It took the U.S. Army to end it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:20:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

This cop needs to be OFF the force. He's the type that gets people killed... might be an innocent, might be his own partner. He has no self control or restraint and obviously very little in the way of good judgement.

The spectator could well have been an asshole, he does look like one, but thats not a valid reason to essentially disable your partner while inciting a riot.

Spraying others is a VERY common occurance when OC is used.  Its one of the primary reasons we hate using the stuff.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#21]
From the same news page:

Meth Lab Found at Grandma's House
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spraying others is a VERY common occurance when OC is used.  Its one of the primary reasons we hate using the stuff.

Hey I agree, there is a wide area affected when used indoors. Outside is another story. But, the point I wanted to make is, it looks more like he's deliberately spraying at his partner, than at the spectator! Aim much?  And the affected area is a big problem! What if someone an arms length away had asthma?

I think a much better idea is...

Cops climb rail.
Cop:  "Sir, we need to go out in the hall and have a talk."
Guy: "No sir, leave me the fuck alone."
Cop: "Sir, we can keep this friendly and just talk, but if you refuse, things are going to escalate quickly and will not end in your favor... think about your next choice of words carefully."
Cop 2: "Sir, please come outside and talk to us, we won't ask again!"

Rather than climb rail, assault peaceful citizen, and try to strangle hold the guy!
As a result of the cops poor judgement I see a video of him doing alot more harm than good.

As a taxpayer and concerned citizen, I think theres far better ways to go about doing things, and by this display of "Law Enforcement"... and the Captain(?) backing this cop up... They do harm to the image of the Police and create more hostility in an environment that does not need it.

You'd think police would want citizens on their side? Instead they like to take every opportunity to make the people who pay them, hate them with a passion. I don't get it.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:15:50 AM EDT
[#23]
The cops should have slammed his ass. To much kid gloves in that one.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:20:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What he said. And in my expierence OC works better on cops than bad guys.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hey I agree, there is a wide area affected when used indoors. Outside is another story. But, the point I wanted to make is, it looks more like he's deliberately spraying at his partner, than at the spectator! Aim much?  

- Did you watch the same video I did?  Cant say the guy deliberately sprayed his partner.  Looks like his first spray was on target and when he tried to spray the guy a second time (while hands on), he caught his partner on the left side of the face with some of the stream.

I think a much better idea is...

Cops climb rail.
Cop:  "Sir, we need to go out in the hall and have a talk."
Guy: "No sir, leave me the fuck alone."
Cop: "Sir, we can keep this friendly and just talk, but if you refuse, things are going to escalate quickly and will not end in your favor... think about your next choice of words carefully."
Cop 2: "Sir, please come outside and talk to us, we won't ask again!"

- I do believe everyone is saying the officers had already asked the guy to move multiple times.  You only repeat yourself so many times before your hand is forced.

try to strangle hold the guy!
-  I see the officer behind him trying ot control the suspect's upper body, not apply a strangle hold.  Hell, in reality, a clean choke hold would have caused less problems.

As a taxpayer and concerned citizen, I think theres far better ways to go about doing things,
Head on down there and show them how to do things

and by this display of "Law Enforcement"... and the Captain(?) backing this cop up...
- Maybe because the officers were right?

I don't get it.

You got that last part right
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:28:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Whats sad is that this is all over where a guy was sitting at a fricking basketball game... I could see if he was actualy hurting someone or commiting a crime but hes just trying to watch a game.... Fucking america is going down hill fast, its truely sad.....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. I think you need to go watch that part again to get a full understanding and comprehend what is going on - he had a broke back....which when repaired/fused makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible to put your hands behind your back...

I understand fully that he had a physical limitation. His MENTAL limitation was the main problem though.

Quoted:
2. we were not there - what if he was in the proper seat all along?  we only see video after negotiations fail....

Right. Fighting with cops over a bleacher seat is always a good 'Plan B'.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:32:46 AM EDT
[#28]
PatrolAR,

In the video, I see a cop who is hostile, from beginning, to the end, where he antagonizes kids in the hallways. Because of the attitude I observe on the rather long film, my hunch is the cop is "just looking for a reason".

You see, this was not an ATF task force, or a SWAT team. Police are expected to KEEP THE PEACE... not start trouble where there is none. The suspect in question here, obviously moved back to his seat and was sitting there quietly. Why did this escalate further?

Why was it necessary to lay hands on the suspect?

Sensitivity training might be a good start, but I think this cop is just stuck on Rambo mode.

As for defending him, it did'nt sound like that to me... sounded like the blue wall. "Until complaints are filed, well... our boys do no wrong!" I hope complaints get filed.

But remember, when you make a complaint, your name goes on it, and from then on, you'd better drive REAL careful and keep an eye on your rearview. Never know when you might find yourself "resisting arrest" on some WV back road.

You really wonder why good people don't file complaints?

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Good move by that PIG to shove the camara, not once but twice.
Wonder why people have a sterotypical view on cops with a southern drawl?

Good thing that neither of the mascots were dogs.....

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
[

I don't get it.  

That's for damn sure.

I can point out quite a few people LIKE the police in this case, starting with the guy whose stolen seat was returned to him.

As for the video,  Too much talking. Waste of time to talk when the listener isn't listening.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Good move by that PIG to shove the camara, not once but twice.
Wonder why people have a sterotypical view on cops with a southern drawl?

Good thing that neither of the mascots were dogs.....

I've got lots of respect for Good cops.
This guy ain't no good cop, he's a dickhead.
The stereotype is really hurting cops, nationwide... I don't know why cops are not pro-active about changing that? And I'll second the dog comment... barking mighta given Rambo "just enough reason".
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#32]
You guys are too funny. And clueless.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
PatrolAR,

In the video, I see a cop who is hostile, from beginning, to the end, where he antagonizes kids in the hallways. Because of the attitude I observe on the rather long film, my hunch is the cop is "just looking for a reason".

- How about the other two officers that were assisting in the arrest?  Were they just looking for a reason also?

You see, this was not an ATF task force, or a SWAT team.
Really, I thought it was Delta Force responding to a class 3 Zombie outbreak.

Police are expected to KEEP THE PEACE... not start trouble where there is none. The suspect in question here, obviously moved back to his seat and was sitting there quietly. Why did this escalate further?
- I believe it stems from him being told to move repeatedily and then being told he was under arrest when he failed to do so.  Just because you move to your orginal seat after all of that doesn't mean you get a free pass.

Why was it necessary to lay hands on the suspect?
- Might be that whole "arrest" thing

As for defending him, it did'nt sound like that to me... sounded like the blue wall. "Until complaints are filed, well... our boys do no wrong!" I hope complaints get filed.
- If you want to see a complaint filed, do it yourself.  You've seen the tape.. if you are that outraged do somethign about it.

But remember, when you make a complaint, your name goes on it, and from then on, you'd better drive REAL careful and keep an eye on your rearview. Never know when you might find yourself "resisting arrest" on some WV back road.

You really wonder why good people don't file complaints?

- The old "I dont want to file a compliant because I'll be harassed" excuse.  Why am I not suprised to see it on here?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:47:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'm continually amazed at the number of posters (and their troll accounts)  that critique the police with absolutely no knowledge of even the basics.

Then they'll post about how perfectly legal it is to shoot folks in car washes just for asking for change or for digging thru your trash.

I seriously wonder just how these folks function in their daily social contacts?  (Assuming they ever leave the computer to HAVE daily social contacts))
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

AMEN!

Thank God we've got fine upstanding Police Stormtroopers, to serve and protect... that bleacher... from the fat ass that did'nt pay for that *particular* seat!

We won't be taken hostage in our own high school gymnasiums by these overweight, disabled, white Americans any longer!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AMEN!

Thank God we've got fine upstanding Police Stormtroopers, to serve and protect... that bleacher... from the fat ass that did'nt pay for that *particular* seat!

We won't be taken hostage in our own high school gymnasiums by these overweight, disabled, white Americans any longer!  

This is even funnier. [ROFL2} Dport, is that you?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm continually amazed at the number of posters (and their troll accounts)  that critique the police with absolutely no knowledge of even the basics.

Then they'll post about how perfectly legal it is to shoot folks in car washes just for asking for change or for digging thru your trash.

I seriously wonder just how these folks function in their daily social contacts?  (Assuming they ever leave the computer to HAVE daily social contacts))

They quit amazing me with their dumbass comments long ago.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:01:18 AM EDT
[#38]
I read just a couple of the responses from the gallery, and some of you guys fucking crack me up.  

Must be nice to go through life utterly clueless.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#39]
 What a clusterphuck!!!  The guy was an idiot, the popo made what looks like a serious miscalculation by trying to get control of a guy who overpowered them by STANDING THERE and caused him to pepper spray his own partners face , how embarrassing.  Clearing some of the folks from the immediate area may have been a good idea.  It just seems like the cops turned what should have been a minor issue into another public relations nightmare caught on tape.  Better training, and by the looks of the cop who got sprayed, better physical conditioning might be a good idea to be able to get quicker control of the "passive agressive" hulk... If the guy had been violent it looks like the cops would have gotten their asses kicked or shot the guy amidst the crowd, with other folks gettin hurt.  Poor choices all around it appears....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AMEN!

Put down the crack pipe!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
 What a clusterphuck!!!  The guy was an idiot, the popo made what looks like a serious miscalculation by trying to get control of a guy who overpowered them by STANDING THERE and caused him to pepper spray his own partners face , how embarrassing.  Clearing some of the folks from the immediate area may have been a good idea.  It just seems like the cops turned what should have been a minor issue into another public relations nightmare caught on tape.  Better training, and by the looks of the cop who got sprayed, better physical conditioning might be a good idea to be able to get quicker control of the "passive agressive" hulk... If the guy had been violent it looks like the cops would have gotten their asses kicked or shot the guy amidst the crowd, with other folks gettin hurt.  Poor choices all around it appears....

I'm glad other people here have some sense. Sometimes I feel lonely.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#42]
A lot of that is due to the officers trying to not injured the suspect.  We have a tendency to use a lot less force than we are authorized to get the job done.  In an ideal world, once the suspect pulled away the officer could have swung in behind him, applied a rear naked choke (or LVNR in certain DT circles) and put the guy out.  No muss no fuss.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

They should have kicked him right behind the knee. Thus dropping his fatass to the ground. Would have been over in seconds.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Sometimes I feel lonely.

- You shouldnt... there are plenty of clueless people around here for you to socialize with
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sometimes I feel lonely.

- You shouldnt... there are plenty of clueless people around here for you to socialize with

So true.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Haaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

They's havin' more trouble with that feller than cub scouts do with a greased up hog.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sometimes I feel lonely.

So true.

Not going to happen.  He'd have to leave the computer.  He'd also need enough common sense to be able to work a doorknob and go outside.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Whats sad is that this is all over where a guy was sitting at a fricking basketball game.. in a stolen seat. I could see if he was actualy hurting someone or commiting what I consider to be a crime but hes just trying to watch a game.... Fucking america is going down hill fast, its truely sad.....

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
A lot of that is due to the officers trying to not injured the suspect.  We have a tendency to use a lot less force than we are authorized to get the job done.  In an ideal world, once the suspect pulled away the officer could have swung in behind him, applied a rear naked choke (or LVNR in certain DT circles) and put the guy out.  No muss no fuss.

THAT is what I'm saying.  The choices in how to gain control of the idiot, drunk, medicated, whatever the hell he was guy, seemed to be very careless and ineffective and could have endangered many people in the area.  Could y'all at least admit they were either poorly trained or made poor choices in HOW they handled the situation. Obviously the dumbshit needed to move his ass out of the seat but how violently and how quickly did it need to happen in a crowd of people.  Again, they were LUCKY he didn't turn violent or gain control of one of their weapons. It would have ended even worse than it did.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THAT is what I'm saying.  The choices in how to gain control of the idiot, drunk, medicated, whatever the hell he was guy, seemed to be very careless and ineffective and could have endangered many people in the area.  Could y'all at least admit they were either poorly trained or made poor choices in HOW they handled the situation. Obviously the dumbshit needed to move his ass out of the seat but how violently and how quickly did it need to happen in a crowd of people.  Again, they were LUCKY he didn't turn violent or gain control of one of their weapons. It would have ended even worse than it did.  

I've already stated that it would have been better if they would have choked him out.  I believe Bama offered that they should have taken him to the ground in there.  Of course if the officers had done either, people would still be crying about what happened.  Hell, they didnt leave a mark on the guy or even hit him and the crys of excessive force are already sounding.

Looking at the way the officers responded shows that they appeared to be trying to perform several of the typically taught Dt manuvers for controling a subject.  From the control of the suspect's upper body to the attempts at arm locks, the officers appeared to be doing exactly what they were taught.  I cant really find fault with them there.

If that encounter is violent, you havent seen a lot of people get arrested before.  That was far from being violent.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top