Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2001 10:24:16 AM EDT
I was wondering what it was like prior to the ban in 86.  Did many people have MGs?  I'm sure it probably wasen't a big deal.

Would people just buy full auto AR and shoot FA and Semi?

Did you have to convert your guns?
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]
There were plenty of enthusiasts around.

And I once held in my grubby hands a NIB M16a2 with a $1500 price tag.

I put it down. To much money and who wanted the hassle of Class lll paperwork? And the appetite for ammo.

If I saw one today for that price I would have the plastic out so fast it would probably melt and be useless.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
And I once held in my grubby hands a NIB M16a2 with a $1500 price tag.

[>(]  [>(]  [>(]  [>(]  [>(]  [>(]

of course i'm only 22 how would i know
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#3]
What ban, WHERE, WHEN. [:D]

Btw, the last 3 used Colt M16A2s we have right now are about 1270 USD.

[:)] [:)] [:)] [:D]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
My first used AR15 purchased in the early 1980's was about $300.  Nobody wanted to pay nearly that much just for the Class III paperwork to get a real M16.  The guns didn't cost a great deal more for full auto.  It was the tax stamp that kept everyone from buying them.  If we had only know what was going to happen later.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#5]
i wonder how much a mac 10 was beffer the ban 100 bucks or something?
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#6]
It was like a gaddamn f*cking dream world.

Interest rates on certificates of deposit were like 10%. The economy rocked. Everything was imported. An FFL license was about $30.00 and you could run it from home.

Fleming sears sold for about $300.00 NIB.

Semi Colt AR-15s went for about $250.00 NIB.

AKs in semi could barely get $100.00.

HK-91s and 93s went for about $450.00 NIB.

SteyrAUGs and HK-94s were going for the astronomical price of $600.00 each.

And class 3? He'll that was about $1,000.00 for a good one all the way up to $2,000.00 for something exotic. Who the hell would pay that much when the semi version costs so much less. And besides they'd always be there if you changed your mind right?
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Interest rates on certificates of deposit were like 10%. The economy rocked. Everything was imported. An FFL license was about $30.00 and you could run it from home.

And class 3? He'll that was about $1,000.00 for a good one all the way up to $2,000.00 for something exotic. Who the hell would pay that much when the semi version costs so much less. And besides they'd always be there if you changed your mind right?
View Quote

When were AK's $100 ???
I don't remember that?
As I remember it, Steyr-Diamler-Puch imported some expensive Maadi's, then the Chinese began importing There semi AK's for about $280 gunshow price.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]
". . . There was music in the air,
And flowers everywhere . . ."
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I know someone who personally had there door kicked in by the ATF for showing a reporter from the SanJose Mercury newspaper how easy it was to make silencers. Then he gave him a demonstration. He made the front page of the newspaper. He was wearing a beany looking down the barrel of an HK with both eyes wide open.

At the time he had a full on business converting firearms to auto from his garage. Auto parts were easy to get... blah blah blah...

Even before 86 you had better of had you ducks in a row or you could get some "help" from the government.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When were AK's $100 ???
I don't remember that?
As I remember it, Steyr-Diamler-Puch imported some expensive Maadi's, then the Chinese began importing There semi AK's for about $280 gunshow price.
View Quote

1984 gun show in Florida Norinco AK-47s were going for $95.00 NIB. Polytechs were the expennsive ones at about $135.00.

Also imported by Steyr-Diamler-Puch? In the early 80s they didn't have a US based operation. Interarms was the first importer of Steyr products into the US. Then GSI(Gun Sports, Inc.) began importing Steyr items. Steyr itself could NOT have imported ANY gun into the US. Perhaps these were Steyr AKs(though I've never heard of one and Maadi is Egyptian) or maybe they were Maadis imported into Austria by Steyr and then into the US. That would drive the price up. But I have no idea.

In any case you couldn't get much more than $125.00 for an AK because people would just buy the AR-15 for $250.00 if the AK cost anywhere over $150.00.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I once held a Class III MP5 for $899.  *sigh*....

And if you don't buy up now, in 20 years, this thread will read "What was it like pre 2010 total gun ban"; or similar title.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#12]
ah...i remember $175 norinco ak-47's!! they sold so poorly, the dealers were tossing in a case of chi-com steelcore ammo to sweeten the deal!!!

now maadi's, on the othe hand, were priced at a ridiculous level (for the times). i think i rember seeing them at $700+ or thereabouts, and some dealers wanted more like $900! (gasp!) but, again, in my area sales were so poor that i bought one for substantially less with an inch of dust and cobwebs on it.

i bought a steyr import (secaucus, n.j.). indeed, a "steyr maadi".
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I am with CampyBob on this one.  I had a Maadi that was marked "Steyr Secaucus NJ"  The pre-bans had the slanted muzzle device on the end like a real Soviet-style AK.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was in school at the time, and couldn't care less-dang![:(]Now I'm losing my shirt just trying to afford a preban carbine. I was born too late!

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd have to say that your memory is a little too optimistic as well, SteyrAUG. I recall seeing the big one page ads in SGN back in '81 for the Egyptian AKs and they were a long ways from being cheap. I seem to remember the auto sear before the '81 registration requirement being quite a bit cheaper than your recollection, too. I can sure recall the M16 parts being very plentiful and CHEAP back then as well. Something like around $100 woud get you a carrier and fire control parts back then. After there started to be some stories on high profile shows like [b][i]20/20[/i][/b] about the ease of fully automatic conversion, the handwriting was on the wall.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#16]
well, lets see. steyre augs for 800, fnfals' for 750. any chicom ak for around 250. fnc's for about 450,.hmmm. full auto: m16, about 850. that was without the tax stamp of course. this is about what the average price was. not if you shopped of course. i could have had an mp40 for 150 dollars back then. the tax stamp was what stopped me. dang!
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank, thanks a lot.  Drooling all over my damn keyboard. I am flopping from drool, to F-ing, A-hole's and their G-D BS!!!!!!  It most likely would have been better had I never known any of this. At the same time I am glad I do.

Edited beacause I'm pissed and can't type.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#18]
They were cheap back then, but what held most folks back was the tax stamp. Most people were paranoid about being "on the list", even though everything was legal. I can remember AK's in the mid 80's at $99.00 each at gun shows, we would pick one out of a crate and look at it, then throw it back in thinking what a POS it was. (Boy were we stupid) 7.62x39 ammo was dificult to find, that kept a lot of people from buying AK's. If the ammo would have been plentiful & cheap many, many more would have been sold. About all there was around then was Norma or something else similar, and it was very expensive.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#19]
god damn republicans and god damn reagon!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd have to say that your memory is a little too optimistic as well, SteyrAUG. I recall seeing the big one page ads in SGN back in '81 for the Egyptian AKs and they were a long ways from being cheap. I seem to remember the auto sear before the '81 registration requirement being quite a bit cheaper than your recollection, too. I can sure recall the M16 parts being very plentiful and CHEAP back then as well. Something like around $100 woud get you a carrier and fire control parts back then. After there started to be some stories on high profile shows like [b][i]20/20[/i][/b] about the ease of fully automatic conversion, the handwriting was on the wall.
View Quote

The Steyr Maadi is a new one for me. The ONLY AKs I mentioned were the Norinco's and Polytechs and the price was what I posted above. I believe you guys about the expensive Steyr Maadi, but I'm just not familiar with it personally.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

A little clarification is in order here. The gun owners protection act in it's original form did not outlaw the further manufactring of MGs for civilian use.
It was only a last second ploy by the Democrats in the form of Rep. Hughes (the infamous Hughes amendment) that snuck in the ban.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

A little clarification is in order here. The gun owners protection act in it's original form did not outlaw the further manufactring of MGs for civilian use.
It was only a last second ploy by the Democrats in the form of Rep. Hughes (the infamous Hughes amendment) that snuck in the ban.
View Quote

IIRC, the '86 ban was not on FOPA.  It was attached to a spending/financial bill.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, if you really want to go back in time, in 1964 I bought an M1 Thompson SMG for $59.95. It was a Raritan Arsenal rebuild and looked brand new.  At the time, Numrich Arms was still making new Thompsons, and selling them for $250 plus transfer fee, so I only ended up paying $10 more for the surplus unit AND transfer fee, than a new Numrich gun would have cost w/o the transfer.  Sent it up to Numrich, and they installed a fully adjustable M1928 rear sight for $25. Sold the gun in the early 1980s for $1000, and thought I'd scored big.  Do I wish I'd hung on to it? HA! Does General Motors make cars?  [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top