Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 3:26:15 PM EDT
New Rule: I only buy a gun that was made by a company that has received at some point in time, a major military contract to produce firearms.

I have had my fill of crappy guns. I'm not talking about inexpensive guns. I'm talking about $1000+ guns that are poorly designed and have bad quality control. I had a realization today about this. I realized all the crappy guns I have purchased are guns that are made by companies that have never had a major military contract to produce firearms.

I think if you follow this rule, in most cases you'll end up with a good gun that will give you many years of reliable service and acceptable quality.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
todd bailey claims to have many government contracts
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Dare I mention the one AR company who fits this bill AND sells to us?

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
todd bailey claims to have many government contracts

Ya beat me to it, my first thought exactly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Guess I gotta get rid of all my hunting guns.

And my AR15

and my Glock
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm talking about $1000+ guns that are poorly designed and have bad quality control.

Example (other than Spechul Wepunz)
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

And my AR15

and my Glock

Doesn't Glock have a military contract with some countries?  What make are your hunting guns? Browning, Savage, Winchester, Marlin, Colt have all have had military contracts to produce firearms at some point.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm talking about $1000+ guns that are poorly designed and have bad quality control.

Robarms m-96. I had one and it was a complete pos.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Robarms m-96. I had one and it was a complete pos.

I had a VEPR and it was the nicest AK I have ever seen. It was just too damn heavy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd prefer not to publicly discuss the weapons that I've had issues with. It's not in my best interest at this point in time. I'll say this, I have a collection of over 60 high quality military guns.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Could be... I guess I assumed American... good point.

but mt AR is made by EA and I'm pretty sure they've never had a major military contract anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I had a VEPR and it was the nicest AK I have ever seen. It was just too damn heavy.

The VEPR is made by Molot, a.k.a. Vyatskie Polyany, who produced the RPK for the Soviet Army for decades. Only the furniture is made by Robinson.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, generally...there are firearms makers that are known for making good quality guns, and there are some that are not known, or known for bad guns.  

Among the ones I would buy without hesitation:
Glock
Beretta
Remington
Colt (even though I won't pay their prices)
Kimber
Springfield arms
HK
S&W revolvers........I'd buy one with a lock....but not for SD purposes
RRA
Some of the better known AR makers on this board that have a history of good guns

The rest....Not so interested in as the above makers make 99% of the guns that I could ever want/need.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

And my AR15

and my Glock

No you don't.  TacticalStrat just stated his new rule, not his new rule for you.  

While I would still buy a gun that was never adopted by the US military (or other) I still give those that are battle field proven a big +1.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd prefer not to publicly discuss the weapons that I've had issues with. It's not in my best interest at this point in time. I'll say this, I have a collection of over 60 high quality military guns.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well, generally...there are firearms makers that are known for making good quality guns, and there are some that are not known, or known for bad guns.  

Among the ones I would buy without hesitation:
Glock
Beretta
Remington
Colt (even though I won't pay their prices)
Kimber
Springfield arms
HK
S&W revolvers........I'd buy one with a lock....but not for SD purposes
RRA
Some of the better known AR makers on this board that have a history of good guns

The rest....Not so interested in as the above makers make 99% of the guns that I could ever want/need.

Ever hear of SIG ?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I try to just stick with high end makers. I rather have several good guns then a safe full of crap.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Ditto.  My experiences have been good.  Then I bought a superior arms lower, all RRA parts, and a hold open mag well adapter.  Doesn't cycle!  Fkn pisses me off.  From now on....no more substandard companies and newbie-dabblers.

And yes..I do hereby copywrite the word newbie-dabbler..
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#18]
SKS the Super Hornet of rifles!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And my AR15

and my Glock

Doesn't Glock have a military contract with some countries?  

Yes - multiple countries have given military contracts to Glock
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, i guess that you will never own a Wilson pistol. Nicest 1911 I've ever laid hands on.

And I will never own another Kimber after all the Series 2 problems that I have seen. Their rep went to their heads and the QC went down the tubes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

FN?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm almost to the point that I won't buy a gun unless it is surplus, or has a military contract somewhere; with the exception of Ruger, who makes damn fine revolvers and .22s.

Hunting rifles........?
Don't worry, dang near every bolt action sniper starts as a Remington reciever.    
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Low end stuff has its uses,
I prefer a cheap .25 for a throw down gun,
no way am I using a Colt 1911

Lebrew
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#24]
my rule: I only buy guns on days that contain the letter "y"
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FN?

I would love to get an AR with an FN lower.   Oh dream...dream dream dream...

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#26]
So much for Cav Arms then, huh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top