Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 9:16:57 AM EDT
After browsing some things in GD and SF it seems like a lot of us keep everything in one place.  Who all keeps all their guns and ammo they own in one back room or basement area?  Flood, fire, burglary?  Same with food storage, etc..  I imagine that quite a few people have thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of ammo, food and other survival type supplies that probably wouldn't be covered under insurance if anything was to happen to your home.  

Does anyone (who has the opportunity to) spread out their stash say at your parents, kids, in-laws homes if they live nearby?  

As I'm in the process of moving, I'd like to store a majority of my stuff at my new home, but wouldn't mind keeping a few extra rifles and cases of food/ammo in the parents basement or sister's home.

Even keeping things in the shed in the backyard, though less secure, seems like a good idea sometimes, because if the house went up everything I had would be gone at once.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Good idea. I 've been thinking about diversifing storage myself. Parent's house. Probabaly better off if I don't tell them though-
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As I'm in the process of moving, I'd like to store a majority of my stuff at my new home, but wouldn't mind keeping a few extra rifles and cases of food/ammo in the parents basement or sister's home.

Even keeping things in the shed in the backyard, though less secure, seems like a good idea sometimes, because if the house went up everything I had would be gone at once.  

[writing]

OK, now where exactly are you keeping all your firearms?

John Farnam's book recommends you don't have multiple firearms scattered in multiple places as they are harder to secure/control.  Have one good secure safe and then a locked box wth one or two ready firearms in your bedroom/other location.  I understand you are more concerned about losses, but there are other things you need to address with having "multiple stashes" IMO.

ETA:  FWIW, why wouldn't insurance cover all my gear?  Covers food losses, too.  My homeowner's ins has rider to cover all my property, or you can get a rider from NRA.  Covers theft and fire or wind/other destruction.  Flood insurance issued by FEMA wouldn't probably cover losses, but not an issue where I live.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I do that already ... part of my holdings is here at my condo, the other part is at my parents's place.  While my parents are not exactly next door (about 30-40 miles as the Nazgul flies), I could get there in a pinch and still have a lot of my gear.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top