Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 5:29:55 PM EDT
One of my coworkers was late to work this morning, because he had "car trouble". Come to find out, he had a headlight out, and didn't know how to change it. He took his car to a shop, and they charged him $60 to change his headlight bulb.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That doesnt make him an idiot.. Some cars are a real PAIN in the ass to change a bulb... So Depending on car, its understandable. Also, some people  would rather pay someone.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That doesnt make him an idiot.. Some cars are a real PAIN in the ass to change a bulb... So Depending on car, its understandable. Also, some people  would rather pay someone.

No kidding. Some of those lamp assemblies are a bitch to get into.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]

I guess he doesn't have google or anything like an autozone.

Googling "change headlight bulb + model + year" could have saved him $55

Plus he would have had a spare and the knowledge to do it the next time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]
some HID lights can get pretty complex as well, there's other parts that can die besides the bulb.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Why did he not go to work first and get the headlamp replaced AFTER work?  

Priorities, priorities.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#6]
When I changed out the headlamp on my friends 75/76 Datsun Z, you have to remove the wheel and take out a panel from inside the wheel well. PITA if you have to do this on a snowy day outside.
My Stratus is the same way to change the battery, but sometimes you can do it by just turning the wheel.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I'm not as versed in cars as I thought. Every car I have ever seen, was:
Step 1 - Lift hood
Step 2 - Twist bulb plug to unlock from housing
Step 3 - Remove bulb from housing
Step 4 - Plug new bulb into socket
Step 5 - Reverse Step 2
Step 6 - Close hood

I didn't know they were making cars so difficult that you HAD to take them in for something stupid like a headlight out. That's teh ghey if you ask me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I guess I'm not as versed in cars as I thought. Every car I have ever seen, was:
Step 1 - Lift hood
Step 5 - Reverse Step 2
Step 6 - Close hood

I didn't know they were making cars so difficult that you HAD to take them in for something stupid like a headlight out. That's teh ghey if you ask me.

some newer luxury cars are designed to make it almost impossible to do even the most basic repairs by yourself.  they want you to bring it into the dealership so they can charge you the big $$
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
... and some of us just prefer to hire out some work. What's wrong with that?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]

No comment
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#11]
When i was working at a shop we had a new taurus come in a flat bed . Complaint was car wont start . The keys were still in the ignition . i yanked the wheel to the right and vroooooom . Guess it was the guys first experience with the steering wheel lock .
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Step 1 - Lift hood
Step 5 - Reverse Step 2
Step 6 - Close hood

Maybe if you sold that Pinto you'd work on other cars.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#13]
My buddy has a 1/2 ton Toyota from 95 that we couldn't figure out. Nearly disassembled the whole front end trying to change it. Took it to Autozone and Advance Auto Parts and they couldn't figure it out either and also didn't stock the shop manual. Finally took it to a Toyota dealer, took them 3 days to change it.

On my 02 Civic I have to remove the front half of the wheel well to change lights. PITA but not hard.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not looking forward to changing the ones in my firebird.  Ouch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top