Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 1:25:00 AM EDT
"It is really a strong smell," radioed Apollo 16 pilot Charlie Duke. "It has that taste -- to me, [of] gunpowder -- and the smell of gunpowder, too." On the next mission, Apollo 17, Gene Cernan remarked, "smells like someone just fired a carbine in here."

Schmitt says, "All of the Apollo astronauts were used to handling guns." So when they said 'moondust smells like burnt gunpowder,' they knew what they were talking about.

science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/30jan_smellofmoondust.htm?list3244
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:40:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
"It is really a strong smell," radioed Apollo 16 pilot Charlie Duke. "It has that taste -- to me, [of] gunpowder -- and the smell of gunpowder, too." On the next mission, Apollo 17, Gene Cernan remarked, "smells like someone just fired a carbine in here."

Schmitt says, "All of the Apollo astronauts were used to handling guns." So when they said 'moondust smells like burnt gunpowder,' they knew what they were talking about.

science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/30jan_smellofmoondust.htm?list3244

So the moon was once a huge firing range?!?!?  WOW!  I guess that means that they had some awesome full auto weapons (I beleive that you would have the bullets leaving orbit, have to check on that).
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Next time I go up, I'll load some 5.56 with it...see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:49:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll bet Uranus smells like Wolf...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you think the rounds would actually fire since there isn't any oxygen to feed the combustion?  Can we charter a Russian space capsule to take some of us to the moon and try this?  MJD
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:53:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do you think the rounds would actually fire since there isn't any oxygen to feed the combustion?  Can we charter a Russian space capsule to take some of us to the moon and try this?  MJD

Do you think there is enough oxygen in the case stuffed with gunpowder to support cumbustion?  It's a chemical reaction.  Gunpowder carries it's own oxygen chamically in the compounds that make up gunpowder.  I hope you already knew this.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Of coarse it smells strong still....hell it's been vacuum packed for maximum freshness, since it's been fired!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:57:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure cartridges are air-tight.  If they needed outside oxygen to go off, they wouldn't fire at all.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:01:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'll bet Uranus smells like Wolf...

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#9]
So what they're saying is if we can light a spark on the moon, we'll have the mother of all KABOOMs?

Cool!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:11:24 AM EDT
[#10]
In before someone says we did not land on the moon.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:13:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I recall that it was due to the compounds in the moon dust oxidizing upon being exposed to air.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:14:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So what they're saying is if we can light a spark on the moon, we'll have the mother of all KABOOMs?

Cool!

No air = no fire.

Of course, without the moon, our tides would stop working and we'd have a whole host of other big problems.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:17:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Ewwwww, he tasted it?
I thought the astronauts would have known the moon wasnt made of cheese...

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#14]
So does that mean that the "moon people" are Pro 2nd  Amendment?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:18:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool!

No air = no fire.

Of course, without the moon, our tides would stop working and we'd have a whole host of other big problems.

Dude. Lighten up. It's too early in the fucking morning to be that serious.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:20:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool!

Should we rename it.... GLOCK

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Lunar regolith is mostly aluminum and silicon oxides with traces of titanium and other metals. Actually lunar regolith is almost entirely devoid of organic compounds and sulfer so I'm not sure where the gunpowder smell would come from.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Lunar regolith is mostly aluminum and silicon oxides with traces of titanium and other metals. Actually lunar regolith is almost entirely devoid of organic compounds and sulfer so I'm not sure where the gunpowder smell would come from.

Gunpowder also smells like rotten eggs(the sulfur).  So maybe one of the astronauts cut a fart in the lander.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:00:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Walking on the moon.....

Damn. I still can't wrap my mind around just how cool that must have been!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Didn't they notice the "NO SMOKING" sign when they landed?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Walking on the moon.....

Damn. I still can't wrap my mind around just how cool that must have been!

It was pretty neat. I'd like to do it again someday.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:17:15 AM EDT
[#23]
C'mon guys, where do you think the Space Shuttle door-gunners go to get some trigger time?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:18:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It was pretty neat. I'd like to do it again someday.

Yeah?

Did the sound stage provide air conditioning?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow, I just had a thought. What happens when you fart in a space suit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:29:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Wow, I just had a thought. What happens when you fart in a space suit

I guess you havent seen "Rocket Man"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top